PDA

View Full Version : poverty munch - ideas ?

jimbob-mcgrew
02-12-08, 03:28 PM
im skint and half the time once funds have run out im chomping on dry cereal and washing it down with a glass of water (what i call poverty munch).

any of you got any ideas / recipes that are dirt cheap and keep u alive in a bit more of an interesting way than dry cereal.

Welsh Dan
02-12-08, 03:37 PM
Tesco smart price cooked meats, bread, cheepo margarine.

Asda have/had 3 tins of spaghetti hoops for a quid on offer.

Pasta+ketchup+seasoning.

Super noodles.

Tesco also have a 12 bag multipack of crisps/onion rings/something else for about 50p in a big white bag.

Corned beef hache can be cheap to make.

jimbob-mcgrew
02-12-08, 03:43 PM
yeh the 10p noodles work out cheap, but theyve been done to death, and i cant stand the taste of em anymore.

NovaBoi92
02-12-08, 03:44 PM
splash out and get the 20p noodles, chicken flavour lol

hc coupe
02-12-08, 03:45 PM
bean's, just beans.Tesco's own, job done, cook and eat out the can and no washing up!

Lauren
02-12-08, 03:45 PM
Pasta in sauce are cheap and always fill you up. The tesco value one is only about 30p and is surpisingly nice.

Super noodles in a sandwhich. Mmmmm...

Beans / spaghetti / ravioli on toast?

hc coupe
02-12-08, 03:47 PM
NO ! sack the toast waste's time just beans !!

Lauren
02-12-08, 03:50 PM
^ boring. lol

Sloth
02-12-08, 03:51 PM
teggos world food isle, 5kg pasta 3.50
cheap 2kg jar of pasta sauce 2.89
pan + water
job done.

Stuart
02-12-08, 03:56 PM
When I was uber poor at uni, I'd goto tescos and get a big blue stripe bag of frozen veg, loads of bakes beans,tinned plum tomatos, rice and some el cheapo bacon.

the beans, veg and tomatoes went into a dish to be microwaved, cook rice, cook bacon. lob on a plate... fairly nice, covers all basic food groups needed and was cheap as hell. Think I managed 2 weeks food for about £10 (and it was big meals worth too so I could skip breakfast or lunch)

Mattman
02-12-08, 04:05 PM
eggs, flour & milk = pancakes ALL day

put whatever you want on them :)

NovaBoi92
02-12-08, 04:10 PM
pancakes ftw i want some

dhdev (Oli)
02-12-08, 04:11 PM
Supernoodles! 20p noodles! 10p noodles! Are you guys made of money :eek:

get down somerfield and bag some 7p noodles, cook until water is soaked up as per instructions, add three eggs (cheap from farmfoods), stir into a lovely eggy-noodley snack. Loads of carbs and protein. Then swallow a multivitamin tablet and you're sorted. Veg is for gays :p

DaveyLC
02-12-08, 04:23 PM
Cheap pack of minced beef, cheap dried pasta, ketchup and some gravy granules makes 'spag-eat-cheap bollock-nase'

robertdevlin69
02-12-08, 04:46 PM
im in the same boat,i find tesco waffles,beans and a dozen eggs does me for the week,bon apetit

Mike
02-12-08, 05:08 PM
Find a farm, take kitchen knife & hacksaw, look for pigs/sheeps/cows. Job done.

craig green
02-12-08, 05:10 PM
Cheap tinned tomatoes on no frills toast (5p a loaf?) sprinkled with Black Pepper stolen from a well known pub chain.

Home cooked food, It dont get cheaper than that!

DaveyLC
02-12-08, 05:12 PM
Cheap tinned tomatoes on no frills toast (5p a loaf?) sprinkled with Black Pepper stolen from a well known pub chain.

Home cooked food, It dont get cheaper than that!

Mmmm tinned tomatoes and cracked pepper on toast.. Thats one of my faves too.

dougie_boi
02-12-08, 05:16 PM
morrisons about 6 pm full cooked chicken in diffrent flavours like spicy chinese and such 99p cooked and still roasting hot eat out the bag no dishes or anything and no need to wait on it cooking either job done YUMMY

Sloth
02-12-08, 05:16 PM
cow "borrowing" on bev west wood ftw (hull area peeps)
big van + home made tazer = full cow.
cook as per delia smith reccomends.
season
enjoy

brought to you by
chef sloth

craig green
02-12-08, 05:18 PM
Mmmm tinned tomatoes and cracked pepper on toast.. Thats one of my faves too.

Never done it, but heard how a friend when living in poverty used to live off that.

Chip shops shortly before closing time are good for value also.....

jimbob-mcgrew
02-12-08, 05:30 PM
gonna get my trekkin boots on and mission it to tesco and see whats the score. ill prob end up buying the ingredients for beans on toast for as long as £3.66 will take me. 8 tins of value beans will prob ratio to a loaf of bread, if ive got enough left over for some form of butter for the toast, that'll do me 8 meals rationed over 4 days.

Lauren
02-12-08, 05:31 PM
^ I couldn't live like that. lol

Stuart
02-12-08, 05:33 PM
oh and cheap ketchup sandwiches :D

jimbob-mcgrew
02-12-08, 05:33 PM
might head out with a coupla mates at the weekend to see if we can catch some fish too, caught a 2 lb. barbel a bit back that got dashed in the oven shortly after catching it, tasted of apsolutly nothing, but the protien was much needed.

dougie_boi
02-12-08, 05:34 PM
pop into a relative that uve not seen for a while and it just happens to be tea time am sure they would offer and that way u get a nice home made scran and didnt cost u a penny

Breeny
02-12-08, 06:07 PM
Beans on Toast with eggs and Tuna.

When you're cooking the beans, put 2 eggs and a tin of tuna in with them...

wilson_sri
02-12-08, 06:16 PM
Space raiders!

Dar
02-12-08, 06:16 PM
Tuna in sunflower oil.
Tip it all out on a plate and eat the tuna them use some bread to mop up the oil. Yum. I eat that when I want a change.

robertdevlin69
02-12-08, 06:29 PM
a bag of spuds,endless dishes, worked well for us during the famine

ade
02-12-08, 06:31 PM
our local CO-OP's gone mental on 2 for 1 or 4 for 3 deals!

2ltr of proper coke for £1.49 with 1 free!

Spudly
02-12-08, 07:20 PM
Honestly mate netto ftw, i used to work at one years ago and you get tins of beans and spaghetti for 7p a tin and loaves of bread for about 15p.

You can bag yaself loads for a few squid so should be laughing!

mowgli
02-12-08, 07:26 PM
Soup. then soup then soup, cheap food for poor folk..

let_nova
02-12-08, 08:31 PM
and some el cheapo bacon.

)

is that the bacon pieces that arent really pieces? you pull 1 bit out and its all joined together!

Stuart
02-12-08, 08:33 PM
is that the bacon pieces that arent really pieces? you pull 1 bit out and its all joined together!

yep, tramp skin :D

jimbob-mcgrew
03-12-08, 01:00 AM
ok - missioned it in the cold, hour and a half round trip on foot to tesco.
was well worried when i saw the price of beans, but i found the value section and proceded to raid.
for my £3.66 i got :

8 x tins of value beans @ 29p a tin
a loaf of cheap-ass thick white bread (16 slices and 2 x cob ends) @ 72p
and i just had enough leftover for the cheapest butter (if you could call it butter - olive spread) @ 58p

left me with 4p change, should do me 8 meals of beans on buttered toast (with a ratio of 1 tin to 2 slices of bread), and if ive got any spread left after that lot i can have the 2 cob ends toasted and buttered for another mini-meal. not bad all in for £3.62. had a meal earlier, and it wasnt all that bad tbh, makes a bloody nice change from dry cereal, thas for damn sure.

survival munch !

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/photon_09/PICT0254.jpg

edit : forgot to add i also needed bog roll, but couldnt afford it, will have to ration what ive got ' stoo styles '

Lauren
03-12-08, 09:00 AM
Tesco value bog roll: 38p. Should have skipped on the olive spread. lol

bmw156
03-12-08, 09:08 AM
lol, lauren you cant compramise the toliet roll that you always have to pay good money for..

and i was thinking farm food, if you have a microwave, then weight watchers frozen soup is well tasty n two flavours and you get a decent bowl full, with couple bits of bread
DONE

edit: as stu below suggested, use public toliets free bog roll

and go to morrisions and asda really late just befor closing, maybe half an hour, thats when we reduce all the goods. i always have the same vultures crowding around me getting the 9p bargins. and if you go any earlier they dont reduce them as much. if you really want to know i could pm you our reduction timetable which would probably be used nationwide. lol
more reasons to shop at morrisons

Stuart
03-12-08, 09:12 AM
ok - missioned it in the cold, hour and a half round trip on foot to tesco.
was well worried when i saw the price of beans, but i found the value section and proceded to raid.
for my £3.66 i got :

8 x tins of value beans @ 29p a tin
a loaf of cheap-ass thick white bread (16 slices and 2 x cob ends) @ 72p
and i just had enough leftover for the cheapest butter (if you could call it butter - olive spread) @ 58p

left me with 4p change, should do me 8 meals of beans on buttered toast (with a ratio of 1 tin to 2 slices of bread), and if ive got any spread left after that lot i can have the 2 cob ends toasted and buttered for another mini-meal. not bad all in for £3.62. had a meal earlier, and it wasnt all that bad tbh, makes a bloody nice change from dry cereal, thas for damn sure.

survival munch !

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/photon_09/PICT0254.jpg

edit : forgot to add i also needed bog roll, but couldnt afford it, will have to ration what ive got ' stoo styles '

I assume you are a student? get nicking bog roll from the uni lavs :D

Leeboo
03-12-08, 10:01 AM
Find one of those people in Asda who give out free food samples, and eat your meal from that. Walk past every 3 mins and grab something.

DaveyLC
03-12-08, 10:23 AM
Never done it, but heard how a friend when living in poverty used to live off that.

Chip shops shortly before closing time are good for value also.....

You dont have to scraping the barrel, its just a nice simple wholesome meal :)

I've got no money problems but some times the simple things in life are the best :thumb:

jord4n
03-12-08, 10:32 AM
cow "borrowing" on bev west wood ftw (hull area peeps)
big van + home made tazer = full cow.
cook as per delia smith reccomends.
season
enjoy

brought to you by
chef sloth

no cows on the westwood over winter

FAIL

Lauren
03-12-08, 10:38 AM

lol I have done that. Desperate times!

Spudly
03-12-08, 11:57 AM
no cows on the westwood over winter

FAIL

Afpmsl lol

Ben
03-12-08, 12:08 PM
just use your imagination, can create loads for £1 a day.

jimbob-mcgrew
03-12-08, 01:47 PM

nah, just stuck in a complicated situation, living at a friends house and living at work too, where i cant work many hours a week cos of business probs. after my christmas & new year plans are delt with, gonna find myself a propper job and try slowly claw my way back into the real world. ive been livvin in some sort of dream world the last 5/6 years, and its only gotten worse as ive gone, probs with drink, drugs and motivational issues, etc. but i dont wanna bore you with that crap, gotta stay positive, gonna change my act next year :thumb:

good idea with the bog roll btw.

CoupeUK
03-12-08, 02:03 PM
So you got £3.66 to live off yet can afford the interweb?

What stuff you got in the fridge/cupboards? Must be able to spice beans on toast up differently every day!

What about signing up to one of them homeless person meal places?

Jim Mcrae
03-12-08, 02:16 PM
my mate had the same problem and lived off bread and tinned frankfurters for a while lol

Its daft you can buy loads of food with naff all money, if your sensible and it doenst have to be beans and super noodles.

Nova_Tek
03-12-08, 03:04 PM
If you want cheap food mate always check out you supermarkets late evening or late night.

Bakery section: Reduced french sticks (the long ones) go for like 10p - 20p, loafs made at the bakery, crusty rolls too. Plus the usual cheap sliced bread.

Then go scope out the 'ghetto shelf' as I call it, all the products in jars tins etc that are very close to their expiry date you'll be surpised what you can find sometimes.

Try also the delicatessen, you can sometimes find dips and things that are literally te last servings for very cheap, sometimes if your lucky sliced meats last bits left too. As mentioned the rotissary chicken whole or thighs that are reduced, racks (yum ;) ) of ribs and even Cumberland sausage can be found.

Then go raid the sandwich fridges. At the end of the day all the ready made lunchtime sandwiches go down in price as they generally only last a day or two. And even beter is if you get a few they can go past their expiry date by a day or two and still taste good without giving you gut rot.

On the subject of tinned food beans and sausages in tins are very tastey especially with toast. Spaghetti with sausages, spaghetty hoops etc. Ravioli in tins are cheap too (all the smart price or value ranges). Together with all the stuff that all the PNG'ers have posted will keep you full for a while.

Me and my bro did this a few years back when my parents went on hols for 2 months. We really didnt wanna spend our hard earned cash buying fancy food so we just went late night shopping in supermarkets and got some real good munch cheap as chips, pardon the pun.

Was quite fun come to think of it lol

Although I couldnt stand drinking 17p coke so the drinks were exlcuded. Still though we were gettin cherry coke BOGOF, Appletise BOGOF. Dont forget tap water :thumb:

craig green
03-12-08, 03:07 PM
Just follow your local Polish citizens. No doubt they will lead you to a bargain of sorts.

ben doodar
03-12-08, 05:26 PM
a piece of pizza, and 2 slices of bread, butter the bread put pizza on the bread extra cheese and tommy k. pizza butty!
honestly its the b0llocks, try it, ul like it.

robertdevlin69
03-12-08, 06:24 PM
some of you may critisize my tate but here goes,brown sauce sambos,if your humgry enough you will eat it

ben doodar
15-12-08, 03:45 PM
add a dash of vinager to baked beans...... umm