PDA

View Full Version : xe rocker cover and spark plug cover

burgo
01-12-08, 03:22 PM
what are these made from and are they ok to be shot blasted?

Big_Chap
01-12-08, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't risk blasting the rocker tbh unless your positive there's no hiding places for sand/media. They are alloy iirc and newer plug covers are plastic. Iirc the metal has "Vauxhall 16v dohc" along the top and the plastic has "Vauxhall" along the top with "16v dohc" at the bottom of the "L"

burgo
01-12-08, 04:01 PM
well they deffinetly not plastic. i was just gonna blast the outside of the rocker cos im lazy but i spose i still risk the grit getting inside

craig green
01-12-08, 04:04 PM
I spent hours cleaning a GTE plenum of shot once, I masked it off for blasting with bungs inall holes etc but it still gets in..

And I've blasted a metal XE plug cover before, with great results (after painting)

craig green
01-12-08, 04:06 PM
Afterthought. So long as you are aware of the effects of having shot in the rocker cover, I think you wouldnt stop cleaning until its all out.

Only the naive would put it back on when full of the sh*t.

burgo
01-12-08, 04:07 PM
no im not that stupid. i know how nasty the grit is to an engine.

Big_Chap
01-12-08, 04:14 PM
I meant only the plug covers can be plastic btw. As craig said my plug cover also came up great after a blast and paint. You could nitromorz (sp) the rocker but I'm sure my painter mate just buffed mine back a bit and then painted it.

craig green
01-12-08, 04:16 PM
no im not that stupid. i know how nasty the grit is to an engine.

I know, I was generalising for the general benefit of the forum & any numpties.

Personally I wouldn't have any issues with blasting a rocker cover, cleaning it out, getting it powder coated & then prepping it myself before being fitted.

craig green
01-12-08, 04:17 PM
I meant only the plug covers can be plastic btw.

For the record, XEV & Z20LET rocker covers are plastic!

Adam
01-12-08, 04:18 PM
As big chap said, some spark covers are plastic(mostly on late engines), and the others are alloy.
All rocker covers are alloy and ok to blast

wils2795
01-12-08, 04:24 PM
I blasted my cover and had it powder coated in white with no problems.

burgo
01-12-08, 04:30 PM
hmmm didn't think about powder coating lol. depends if they have the right colour

mayhem
01-12-08, 04:38 PM
blast it and and put it in a (industrial) dishwasher :)

craig green
01-12-08, 04:43 PM
blast it and and put it in a (industrial) dishwasher :)

Then inspect it for particles of shot. :roll:

burgo
01-12-08, 04:51 PM
inspecting it for individual bits of grit is the kinda weird thing i would like doing

dumpycorsa
01-12-08, 05:30 PM
I shot blasted mine then painted it. Alot of the shot was under the breather plate so it would be wise to remove this first and de-grease as best you can before blasting. That way if it's clean and dry the shot won't stick to it as easy. Make sure if you're painting it to use etch primer first as it's ally

burgo
02-12-08, 03:53 AM
the breather plate is already in the bin and my brother will be takin it to work to go in the parts tank for cleaning

tom_bish
02-12-08, 08:23 AM
If you powder coat the rocker cover you may have troubles with the rocker gasket leaking as it sometimes creates an uneven mating surface