PDA

View Full Version : front lower strut brace!!!

mikeoxford
21-11-02, 02:55 PM
http://www.mikeoxford.boyracer.net/webspace/sbrace1.jpg

gu on then

lower front strut brace

:?: where does it go!? :oops:

Rick Draper
21-11-02, 04:22 PM
It goes between the lower wishbones, you have to take the bolts out for the wishbones and put that in position then tighten it all up. Where did you get it from? Rick

mikeoxford
21-11-02, 07:27 PM
i bought a three piece strut brace set i THINK it was from supernovas - either them or a local place. not quite sure which

i have got the front upper turret one on - and also the rear, this is the last one - im quite impressed with the results so far - obviously this third one should be the icing on the cake as some say this makes all the difference - BUT :oops: :oops:

i still cant find it!!!

i put it in the centre of the car to try and see where it would fix to - where the holes line up, and have had a look in haynes, there is no mention of a wishbone in haynes.........? is it called something else in there?

as for where it fits - it dosent fit on the END of the threadded tie bar? the one that goes through a rubber bush??

mikeoxford
21-11-02, 08:09 PM
lol....... any1? :oops: im quite embarast to ask!!!

Aragorn
21-11-02, 09:08 PM
the wishbones are the bottom part of the suspension that links the trackros and struts and shit to the chassis

its a lump of metal about 10" long running from the bottom of the strut towards the rear of the car and is slightly U shaped along its length

Chris LR
21-11-02, 09:14 PM
So you take the wishbones off and but the brace in standing up with the curved bit going up towards the bottom and back of the engine bay?
and replace the wishbones again.

I'm confused is this isn't how it works :?: :?:

mikeoxford
22-11-02, 12:05 AM
lol hes confused me too! - erm, i dont think the bar is long enough for what he is trying to say, the bar is long enough to go between tie bar brakets on the chassis - where the rubber bushes are

anyone else any ideas?

im baffled

NovaGSi1600
22-11-02, 07:35 AM
Have you got a contact number for the place you bought the kit from, it looks good.

Cheers,
Mick

Ste_Nova
22-11-02, 10:39 AM
it fits under the upper brace... about 6" from the floor

rgv_stu
22-11-02, 02:57 PM
yes it goes between chassis mounts for the wishbones.
undo each wishbone bolt fit brace and stick bolts back in

all it does is help keep the mounts steady - not gonna be the biggest improvement as its the part that is already the most braced - but it cant do any harm. :)

mikeoxford
22-11-02, 05:53 PM
:lol: success - found the mounts!

ALTHOUGH

do i need to jack the car up and place on stands or anything?

if i take that bolt out - will the suspension leg fail / side of the car drop on me??

thanks again guys

Ste_Nova
22-11-02, 07:41 PM
depends which way round the bolts are

Chris LR
22-11-02, 08:41 PM
So was I close? I'm confused as fcuk!

mikeoxford
23-11-02, 12:55 AM
ill post some pics tomorow - thank god the engine bay side of the bolt is the nut - so shouldnt have a problem.

chris _sr if i understand what your saying properley - yes

where the shock obsorber comes down the suspension turret, at the bottom is like a leg that connects to the car (wish bone) in the haynes its under section 11-1 called a control arm (labelled number 26)

as said before, it is a bit of a U shaped channel, well anyway...........

the bolt i have to take out isnt labbelled in the haynes, but it goes through the number 27 bushing (Inner rubber mounting bush)

in my haynes the pic shows the bolt head going from front of car to back - so im lucky its in back to front or i guess id have the wishbone come off completely!

all i have to do now is take the nut off - well im gonna have a stab 2moro

so ill get a few pics

ROLL ON MK! wwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaahooo