PDA

View Full Version : Drive Shaft popping out

boffer8
30-11-08, 07:44 PM
hi guys and gals, i have recently put a new gearbox in and swopped the final drive over to a 4.2. after getting the engine all back in i went out and tested it only to travel 500 yards down the road and the passenger side drive shaft popped out of the gearbox, didnt know this and so just got towed back. i had gone round 3 corners and nothing had happened. it popped out on the straight under gentle acceleration around 4000rpm (engine revs to 8100 so only half full scale) got it back and checked the spring clip on the driveshaft and it looked fine, not squished in and the car has had 2 new inner cv's this year, so popped it back in just thinking i cant have pushed it all the way back in for the spring clip to locate. took it out again and it stayed in a bit longer this time probably about a mile or so, then guess what it popped again, becuse i knew what it was this time i jacked it up popped it back in and drove gently home and it didnt come out.

have any of you guys experienced this before? or know what maybe causing it?

i was wondering if the diff has got worn grooves where the spring clips pop into and so it keeps poping out now and then?

please all comments and ideas will be greatly appreciated.

cheers
boffer8

let_nova
30-11-08, 08:00 PM
didnt know they could be popped back in or out in 1 piece without dismantling?

skidmarkz
30-11-08, 09:29 PM
only had a drivers side inner pop out... my fault didnt put it in far enough, after that i removed the shaft and tapped it in with a block of wood and rubber mallet, never popped out since...

ck
30-11-08, 09:40 PM
been having similar problems with a corsa B. only thing we have come up with is that it is way too low causing it to slowly pull the inner joint out. has happened several times now and only since it has been dropped loads, and camber set ect ect (effectively making the shaft longer)

craig green
01-12-08, 11:53 AM
Sounds like the inner CV isnt being pushed in all the way home, as mentioned abover, remove the shaft & use a piece of wood to cushion the blow but bang it home with a mallet.

boffer8
01-12-08, 11:09 PM
ok, cheers chaps, will give that a go and see what flys out and will let you all know what happens! if it aint the could it be a worn diff spring clip housing? as ithis is the only thing i have changed and it jsut seems its started since then?