PDA

View Full Version : locking wheel nuts on car and have no key!!!

napalm_27
30-11-08, 02:26 PM
hi people i have lockers on my car and the person that i got it off didnt have the key i cant get a 18mm socket on because the heads are to close to the bolt hole any suggestins people

Mazz
30-11-08, 02:28 PM
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/94826/Automotive/Mechanics-Tools/Emergency-Locking-Wheel-Nut-Remover-4-Pc

napalm_27
30-11-08, 02:29 PM
no use wont fit bolt heads to wide in the hole already stated that

jimbob-mcgrew
30-11-08, 02:44 PM
an old friend of mine had a prob similar to this back in the day.
he took it to a garage and they used pneumatic chisel to hammer into the locking nut, then flicked a switch on the machine and it made the chisel spin anti-clockwise to undo the bolt. bit brutal, but did the job a treat with minimal scratching to the alloy.

Pistol Pete
30-11-08, 02:45 PM
Most bolt extractors fit over the existing bolt. If yours are too close to the alloy, i'd say your screwed mate!

napalm_27
30-11-08, 02:49 PM
been told to drill 3 hole in them and match up a 3 pin locker key or just drill the heads off

Pistol Pete
30-11-08, 02:53 PM
Drilling the heads off would be easier. Trying to match a 3 pin socket would be a PITA TBH.

napalm_27
30-11-08, 02:56 PM
hmm i got my cav front discs and calipers to fit on as my 1.4 brakes are poo and i cant get the wheels off grrrr i think the drill will be out tomorrow

jimbob-mcgrew
30-11-08, 02:56 PM
yeh that would prob work, if the surface is good enough to drill into.
you'll need to think of a decent way to mark out where to drill to make sure the key fits when your done.

edit : possibly put some ink on the 3 pins of the key and press it to the bolt to mark out where to drill ?

Pistol Pete
30-11-08, 02:59 PM
As he has no key (the cause of his problem!) surely it makes no difference as to where he drills??

mowgli
30-11-08, 03:03 PM
centra punch the middle of the bolt, drill it out to about 8mm, get a stud extractor.....

didn't someone recommend taking the other bolts out & then driving up & down the street till they come loose???? sounds dangerous but feasible

dan23
30-11-08, 03:10 PM
find an alu welder an ask them to weld nut s to the bolts

twistysnovagte
30-11-08, 03:10 PM
ive done this in the scrapyard recently,its simple if you have the right tools,
21mm "IMPACT"socket(there normally black in colour).you will need the socket,which has around 16 sides, and NOT the hexagoneal one(5 sides)also a heavy hammer in which my case i used a lump hammer,3/4 ratchet and possibly a strong arm.smash the socket over the nut until solid(doesnt have to go all the way on,as long as its tight)ratchet and strong arm should then ease it off(mine did with ease)the locking nut will then be jammed in the socket,this now needs to be placed in a vice and punched out with the big hammer(one good hit and they shoot out,i was hit by the third one on the top off my foot,and it hurts very muchlol)
if you have the tools mentioned it should take no longer than tem minuates0
good luck(its a piece of ....lol)
edit;make sure you take the locking nuts out first before removing any other nuts!;)
ps dont do the drilling unless you have TIME and patience as this can get awkward,do it wrong and you could damage the hub
andy

mowgli
30-11-08, 03:12 PM
find an alu welder an ask them to weld nut s to the bolts

they are usually chromed steel....

if they were ally,

1. they would snap
2. you could clout a chisel into them & undo them

napalm_27
30-11-08, 03:14 PM
[/quote]
2. you could clout a chisel into them & undo them[/quote]
may have a go at that

Pistol Pete
30-11-08, 03:23 PM
ive done this in the scrapyard recently,its simple if you have the right tools,
21mm "IMPACT"socket(there normally black in colour).you will need the socket,which has around 16 sides, and NOT the hexagoneal one(5 sides)also a heavy hammer in which my case i used a lump hammer,3/4 ratchet and possibly a strong arm.smash the socket over the nut until solid(doesnt have to go all the way on,as long as its tight)ratchet and strong arm should then ease it off(mine did with ease)the locking nut will then be jammed in the socket,this now needs to be placed in a vice and punched out with the big hammer(one good hit and they shoot out,i was hit by the third one on the top off my foot,and it hurts very muchlol)
if you have the tools mentioned it should take no longer than tem minuates0
good luck(its a piece of ....lol)
edit;make sure you take the locking nuts out first before removing any other nuts!;)
ps dont do the drilling unless you have TIME and patience as this can get awkward,do it wrong and you could damage the hub
andy

Bolt sides are very close the alloy. See first page.

twistysnovagte
30-11-08, 03:25 PM
Bolt sides are very close the alloy. See first page.yeah sorry mate, i did scroll down and read one or two posts and missed that:tard: ah well get the drill outlol and be careful:thumb:

napalm_27
30-11-08, 03:26 PM
yer i mite get the jerry can and lighter out aswell lol

twistysnovagte
30-11-08, 03:30 PM
i cant understand tbh how its sits so tight to the alloy,you would still have to use a tool for the locking nut as standard and a socket cant be to much off a difference to the tool used to remove the locking nut anyhows:confused:

napalm_27
30-11-08, 03:34 PM
its a puzzle lock so its only the puzzle that goes in no surroundin really

twistysnovagte
30-11-08, 03:40 PM
right then id drill into it around 20mm with a 8mm bit then smash a chisel into the hole until lodged tight then use a good pair of moldgrip with possibly a strong arm then a first goo yank9to maybe get it free(other than that your snookered mate!

skidmarkz
30-11-08, 04:07 PM
hi people i have lockers on my car and the person that i got it off didnt have the key i cant get a 18mm socket on because the heads are to close to the bolt hole any suggestins people

have u got RAC or AA cover? they will remove locking nuts for you, have done 3 times for the lads at work who loose there nut keys..

failing that i normaly overtighten the 3 other nuts, angle grind a nick in the side of the locking nut so i have a flat surface to bash, get a bolster and hammer off ya go, can get 4 nuts off in 10 mins :) even the ones with that nasty spinny top...

remember lefty loosy, rigthy tighty

edit miss quoted..

twistysnovagte
30-11-08, 04:43 PM
have u got RAC or AA cover? they will remove locking nuts for you, have done 3 times for the lads at work who loose there nut keys..

failing that i normaly overtighten the 3 other nuts, angle grind a nick in the side of the locking nut so i have a flat surface to bash, get a bolster and hammer off ya go, can get 4 nuts off in 10 mins :) even the ones with that nasty spinny top...

remember lefty loosy, rigthy tightyits not me wanting to know mate,see page one for the start of the thread:thumb:

skidmarkz
30-11-08, 04:45 PM
i know was offering another way, ill try your idea on my next set :).. just noticed miss quote cheers :)

dj_wudgey
30-11-08, 05:05 PM
this was a pain when people used to come into work with cars like this lol

Benn
30-11-08, 05:20 PM
Hammer and a socket, never fails.

mowgli
30-11-08, 05:21 PM
this was a pain when people used to come into work with cars like this lol

what, so you could charge by the hour for taking them off, sounds terrible...

dj_wudgey
30-11-08, 06:06 PM
what, so you could charge by the hour for taking them off, sounds terrible...

i was a mechanic not like i got the money for the job so yea its terrible!!!