PDA

View Full Version : Starter Motor Problem

G-MANS
29-11-08, 05:52 PM
I have a nova GTE (1988).

On the odd occasion my car wouldn't start so thought to change the starter motor (original on car) and the ignition switch for good measure (apparently ignition switch is a known common problem for sticking and damaging the starter motor according to vauxhall). The ignition switch was bought from Vauxhall dealer and the starter motor was from a motor factors shop directly opposite the vauxhall dealer (much much cheaper than from the dealer.

Mechanic fitted it and for 1 month all was good. Then it randomly wouldn't start so tested the starter motor and found it would occassionally not work at all. Took back to motor factors and he gave me a new replacement. The new replacement lasted 0 seconds as it didn't work not once. Took back next day and he gave me another one which was fitted on friday and now saturday has started playing up (occassionally working). It seems 3rd time unlucky.

Am I just 1). the unluckiest person to ever buy a starter motor or 2). are these starter motors given to me just poorly reconditioned parts or 3) is my car somehow damaging these starter motors? (Every associated part that could cause this problem has been inspected, cleaned etc... by the mechanic.

Anyone else had a similar problem? Looks like I'll have to take it back and get a 4th new starter motor (seems ridiculous to me and the motor factor guy).

George

mowgli
29-11-08, 09:04 PM
I'd guess it is the earth strap or the big multiplug that is at fault....

dougie_boi
29-11-08, 09:10 PM
yep i would go with the earth strap bein broken or correded or maybe check the live switched wire from your ignition just in case it has a break in it somewhere

AlexW
29-11-08, 09:31 PM
Sounds like mine, the face of the gearbox where the starter sits was dirty, cleaned it up and wala. Check the Gearbox earth though, Might be worth changing it anyways just to make sure (I may even have one already made up)

meritlover
30-11-08, 09:25 AM
test the earth by clipping a jump lead between the negative battery post and the starter motor body.
also check the condition of the crimp on the solenoid wire. the next time the motor doesnt work use a meter to check that a switched 12v is present at that solenoid when the key is turned to the start position.