PDA

View Full Version : Alarms - Help

MattyWoo
20-11-02, 02:37 PM
I've been looking at alarms now for quite a while but i've got no idea which one to get.
I really want one with central locking, but does that mean i've gotta fit central locking before (like the guide where u fit it from a volvo 340gls).

Can anyone recommend a full alarm, or maybe a combination of an alarm and central locking from the volvo or whatever. It doesn't need to be cat 1 or anything but if thats better then cool.
I've got about ?100 to spend, maybe more if needs be.
Cheers
Matt

Alex
20-11-02, 02:40 PM
if you want to link up central locking to an alarm you will need two passanger volvo motors, as the drivers one is just a switch. If you put these in first it will save you a bit of money. I did this with a sparkrite alarm, and total closure system.

Ric 16v
20-11-02, 04:03 PM
u can get central locking kits from maplins www.maplin.co.uk if u r looking for an alarm and immobiliser get a clifford, it's way over your budget (around ?400 for a concept 300) but it will be worth it in the long run, plus you can add extras to it

wisewood
20-11-02, 04:20 PM
50 quid for a 4 door central locking kit from maplins... is it as simple as just not connection the two for the back doors?

if it is - think i'll get it.

MattyWoo
20-11-02, 04:49 PM
I think i'll stick with no security if its gonna cost me 400 quid!!! :o that seems a lot just for an alarm

wisewood
20-11-02, 05:01 PM
no mate that's not just an alarm - that's the muts nuts of an alarm.

something cheaper will do ya...
anything has to be better than nothing. something to slow em down - even if only for a few seconds might put them off enough to make them look for the nova down the street with no security on it.

MattyWoo
20-11-02, 06:03 PM
thats all i want really, just summit for a bit of money thats gonna put someone off, i mean i dont really need one that takes their fingerprint, a dental record, the persons age and a photograph. as long as it works with central locking im happy :)

Stuart
20-11-02, 06:09 PM
get a pitbull! very cheap to run lol

toad or clifford. i got a clifford medium spec for ?200 inc professional fitting. so it dosent have to cost the earth

Jim
20-11-02, 06:45 PM
If this Nova is your pride and joy, then I'd personnaly spend the ?100 on an immobiliser. It doesn't matter if a car has central locking on not, the ba5tards will still be able to break in and steal your car. With an immobiliser, they will have a much tougher task of stealing your car.

I had an autowatch Thatcham Approved Cat 2 immobiliser fitted to my car for ?90. If you can stretch the cash get the immobiliser and a full disc lock from Halfords (?30). This will put off an opportunist thief and the immoiliser will ensure some saftey that your car isn't going anywhere fast. I'm not talking about the ba5tards breaking in and rolling the car down a hill before Wisewood tries any of his witty comments.

Jim

MattyWoo
20-11-02, 07:10 PM
Slimjim - I don't want central locking for security i want it cos im a lazy git!! Did you get that immobiliser fitted somewhere in MK?? sounds like a good idea to me.
Cheers
Matt

wisewood
20-11-02, 07:27 PM
I'm not talking about the ba5tards breaking in and rolling the car down a hill before Wisewood tries any of his witty comments.

Dammit. Spoil sport. :D

seriously though - the thought never even crossed my mind.
this is a serious subject, so i wouldn't make a joke of it... car crime is no laughing matter - had my nova done over enough times to know that.

Chris LR
20-11-02, 09:11 PM
Big Fcuk-Off chain round the steering wheel and underneath the drivers seat attached together with an even bigger padlock.

Bastard to put on!

To be fair, who takes any notice of an alarm? You've to got to get something unique that a thief won't expect and won't know how to deal with.

Nova's are a piece of piss to break into, I know 3 ways, 2 of which don't involve breaking anything.

Immobilise it!

wisewood
21-11-02, 11:58 AM
Nova's are a piece of p**s to break into, I know 3 ways, 2 of which don't involve breaking anything.

YEPP!!!

Same here.

Char
21-11-02, 01:41 PM
i have to agree with everyone else, get a clifford there the best thing, my car has one and it's never moved from my drive. yeah there pricy but it's worth it if u dont want ur car to get nicked. At the end of the day which would u rather have a car ?? or no car??

:D

J4TT
21-11-02, 04:42 PM
Yep definetly clifford even the standerd ones are 10 times better then moss and da usual shit

U can get a clifford bout ?200 in b ham and thats approved and professional fitted it will also bring your insurance down

On mine i got remote starting so it warms the car up 1st thing in the morning (and it also shits lil kids up)

wisewood
21-11-02, 04:51 PM
HOW MUCH IS IT WITH REMOTE STARTING - I WANT ONE.

oops - caps lock.

Char
21-11-02, 11:42 PM
there quite expensive i think but my mate has just sold his nova with push button start and clifford concept 600 or 300 sommat like that anyhow he built the push button start in himself and wired it through the clifford it worked mint id love it on my car like that. if u have a mate whos good with wiring etc then it will be cheaper

?Marty?
22-11-02, 12:10 AM
Remote start - around ?400 with fitting.

Get a good quality alarm, and you can even have it transfered to your new car, and leave a shitty one in it's place. If you must.

It's pointless displaying the alarm stickers, as it only makes it easier to 'disarm them' if you tell people who the manufacturer is.

Though the car would have to be pretty smart, as it wouldn't be targeted by oportunist thieves no more.

And even with the best alarm, you'll still get people attempting 'smash and grabs' if there's anything inside. Lets face it, who bothers looking when a car alarm goes of these days?

wisewood
22-11-02, 10:00 AM
well i do... morbid curiosity i suppose.

but generally speaking, i know what you mean - nobody really looks anymore.

Ric 16v
22-11-02, 10:22 AM
it's well good where I live, u could leave your car running with all the doors open during the night/day and it wouldn't get nicked, how good is that !!! my brother used to leave his car open with all his credit/debit cards in along with loads of money and it neva got nicked !!!!