PDA

View Full Version : Locking wheels nut problem

Cle
29-11-08, 10:34 AM
Right on my front passenger wheel theres a locking nut and i have the socket to go on it but the acual nut is rounded of and the socket just slips off it.

How can i get this off ??

Cheers
Cle

meritlover
29-11-08, 10:45 AM
take all the weight off the wheel if you havent done so already as the weight will be making the taper lock even tighter. youl have to use a stillson (if you can get to it) try and hammer a smaller socket onto it and if not, weld something onto the head that you can get some sort of purchase on.

if youve got one of those gator-grip sockets or a stud removal tool that would be ideal. but im assuming you have not

Cle
29-11-08, 10:50 AM
i'll thinkin of just welding a nut on to the top of it then it'll be easyer to get off.

If i weld onto the nut will the weld hold ? as i think the nuts are on really tight

meritlover
29-11-08, 10:58 AM
the nuts should only really be about 65lbft anyway. the nut will have been designed for over that torque so if it has sheared then im guessing theyve been grossly over tightened.

it all depends how good your welds are, you will need to take the chrome/plating off the bolt first if your to have any chance at all. you are limited in options if you wish to keep the wheel in good order, but there are some suggestions to get you started.

brainsnova
29-11-08, 11:29 AM
use an old socket and hammer it over the locking bolt one that is slightly smaller or gator grip.