PDA

View Full Version : I passed my driving test this morning and...

kelbelle
27-11-08, 11:31 PM
Just drove a Nova for the first time and I have to say WTF, I have been learning in a peugeot 206 so its certainly different lol
No power steering, Stiff, squeaky clutch, Less than perfect brakes.

Plus the first time I drove it was at night in the rain lol Eventful to say the least

But I shall persevere :thumb: Got no other form of transport otherwise lol

6 minors on the test

oh and got my PNG welcome pack this morning after I passed. Strange coincidence!

BIGS
27-11-08, 11:32 PM
well done, and i see you found the reason we all love novas then lol

brainsnova
27-11-08, 11:32 PM
congrates on passing the test but peugeots are junk.

NovaLad
27-11-08, 11:37 PM
Congrats!!!

I love driving my nova... can't stand new cars!

Emmy
27-11-08, 11:38 PM
Well done for passing your test!! :)

Spudly
27-11-08, 11:38 PM
Sounds like a spot on perfect nova then lol

Congrats on passing hun:thumb:

marc novataken
27-11-08, 11:40 PM
well done for passing!! my nova best car i ever driven tho

Novaboi_1991
27-11-08, 11:42 PM
well done, wish i had passed mine lol

Jack
27-11-08, 11:43 PM
Novas are sh!t, welcome to PNG.

mowgli
27-11-08, 11:46 PM
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Reu/d/2007%5C220%5Ccb7df6ae-a202-4a59-99a5-b348e3924ae3@news.ap.org.jpg

Benn
27-11-08, 11:48 PM
Well done.

People shouldnt lean in new cars with pas and stuff, as they wont drive cars with any of it after they pass.

AlexW
27-11-08, 11:52 PM
Well done (And im told your be driving over here tuesday hehe)

And Benn - i have to agree, my ex turned her nose up to a car without pas, Learners should be in old petrol shoe boxes, not diesel new things.

Benn
28-11-08, 12:00 AM
Yeah, parrall(sp?) park with pas.. then try it in a nova.
Everyone should lean with non pas as it will at times make you a better driver.

burgo
28-11-08, 12:18 AM
i learnt in a funked old ****ter 1.4 n/a diesel 106. it was very much like a nova to drive but with more bodyroll lol

Welsh Dan
28-11-08, 12:37 AM
Just drove a Nova for the first time and I have to say WTF, I have been learning in a peugeot 206 so its certainly different lol
No power steering, Stiff, squeaky clutch, Less than perfect brakes.

Check your tyre presures are correct, steering will be heavier if they're deflated. Lubricate or replace the clutch cable and accept that the brakes are poo lol.

Welcome to the joys of nova ownership.

~~joycey~~
28-11-08, 01:00 AM
Well done :)

Smurf-Xx
28-11-08, 08:27 AM
Congrats... Like I have said before pas is for fannys lol My breaks are sh*t too but my clutch don't squeak!! :thumb:

dhdev (Oli)
28-11-08, 08:36 AM
Congrats!
Shows how old i am though, my instructors car was a 1.5td nova and I had a 1.2 nova at the time :cool:

Shaun_O'Donnell
28-11-08, 08:36 AM
Congratulations.

Gemima
28-11-08, 08:37 AM
Congratulations!

Jack
28-11-08, 08:40 AM
Shows how old i am though, my instructors car was a 1.5td nova
Not that old, there was an instructor who smoked (pun!) round here in a 5dr derv Nova until about a year ago.

Southie
28-11-08, 08:56 AM
:thumb: Welcome to the darkside that is NOVA.
Motoring happiness and trouble free lol.

15 years since I passed in a Nissan Micra 1 litre, the one with the massive numberplate lights. Massive body roll on that heap of sh1t. lol

meritlover
28-11-08, 09:07 AM
stick a new clutch cable in it and get the rear drums adjusted properly.
that will sort nearly all of your nova woes.

your arms will have to grow to get used to the lack of P/S

congratulations on the successful passing of your test. may you have many years of happy drivings ahead of you. treat your nova well and it shall reward you in reurn.

mayhem
28-11-08, 10:16 AM
a nova without a squeeky clutch pedal is just wrong.

kelbelle
28-11-08, 10:17 AM
[quote=AW06]Well done (And im told your be driving over here tuesday hehe)

WHAT! lol Martin only just told me this little nugget of information! I can barely cope with ipswich at 10 0'clock at night with no other cars lol

hmmm might have to think about that one :D

Shaun_O'Donnell
28-11-08, 10:17 AM
a nova without a squeeky clutch pedal is just wrong.

so true..

Lee
28-11-08, 10:19 AM
Well done you :)

Smurf-Xx
28-11-08, 10:24 AM
Have we seen a pic of your nova kelbelle?

kelbelle
28-11-08, 10:30 AM
no I will get one, its the same one as BMW156's. We are car sharing :)

bmw156
28-11-08, 10:35 AM
its this one rach<<<

and to the people saying to replace my clutch cable, is it hard? and how much does a cable cost lol

could i just greese up the "joints"

muzzy
28-11-08, 10:38 AM
Congratulations

Ive not had one yet that dosent have a squeaky clutch pedal....and the rattles mean its definetly a Nova lol

Shaun_O'Donnell
28-11-08, 10:41 AM
its this one rach<<<

and to the people saying to replace my clutch cable, is it hard? and how much does a cable cost lol

could i just greese up the "joints"

It's easy and shouldn't really need any tools. Cables arent expensive, less than a tenner.

**edit**

You do have to remove the under dash trays to help with access though, so screwdriver required for this.

Smurf-Xx
28-11-08, 10:42 AM
oh right cool :)

muzzy
28-11-08, 10:43 AM
you need to get into an awkward position in the drivers footwell to get it on the pedal.....well at least i do :wtf:

Shaun_O'Donnell
28-11-08, 10:46 AM
you need to get into an awkward position in the drivers footwell to get it on the pedal.....well at least i do :wtf:

Kneel down outside the drivers door and lean in under the dash, drivers seat pushed right back.

muzzy
28-11-08, 10:48 AM
That sounds easier lol

AlexW
28-11-08, 10:59 AM
Give the spring on the pedal a good spray of Wd-40, that was the only sweak on mine.

Shaun_O'Donnell
28-11-08, 11:02 AM
Give the spring on the pedal a good spray of Wd-40, that was the only sweak on mine.

Would advise against that, don't want any of that getting onto any of the pedals.....

Stuart
28-11-08, 12:21 PM
Novas were fitted with that squeak from the factory.... its part of the comedy charm!!!

My granny spec 1.4 nova is easier to drive (in terms of steering) than my 2000 "modern" car ;) lol

Benn
28-11-08, 12:23 PM
Would advise against that, don't want any of that getting onto any of the pedals.....

Dont ever clean your pedals with rubber care either... Makes them like walking on ice...lol

Nova_Tek
28-11-08, 01:29 PM
Congratulations on passing your test. Now the tricky bit is to keep your licence. Dont forget 6 points in two years and its back to schoolage.

Nova brakes are fun. Its like waiting for a website to load using dial up. Fun thing though is that you can press down on the pedal slightly so that the brake lights come on but the brakes actually not clamping. Tailgaters hate that lol

I must have a dud Nova, mine never squeeked.

mayhem
28-11-08, 04:06 PM
the squeek will be back in 2 weeks lol

its just a part of the nova's charm.

nova tek.. youre nova is fake lol

Pistol Pete
28-11-08, 04:34 PM
Congrats on passing your test, and welcome to Nova ownership. Your life will never be the same again!!

7ova
28-11-08, 08:41 PM
well done in passing :thumb:

Nova_Tek
29-11-08, 12:21 PM
the squeek will be back in 2 weeks lol

its just a part of the nova's charm.

nova tek.. youre nova is fake lol

Thats what I thought then I saw rust around the rear arches and I sighed with relief. Pheww its a Nova lol

Spudly
29-11-08, 12:41 PM
Dont ever clean your pedals with rubber care either... Makes them like walking on ice...lol

Looks like youver tried this one before then lol

Tbh with the cluch squeak all of my novas have had it and its transferred over into the cav aswell so i feel like im driving a nova (only bigger and longer haha)

Nova_Tek
29-11-08, 12:51 PM
Cav's imo are more notorious then Nova's for their clutch squeek.

Have had 3 different Cav's in the family (although now left with two) and they all have had clutch squeek. It takes a few blasts of WD40 and some grease every few months and eventually it has disappeared off both of them.

Im very proud of myself. lol

Spudly
29-11-08, 01:00 PM
Cav's imo are more notorious then Nova's for their clutch squeek.

Have had 3 different Cav's in the family (although now left with two) and they all have had clutch squeek. It takes a few blasts of WD40 and some grease every few months and eventually it has disappeared off both of them.

Im very proud of myself. lol

I cba as for one im lazy and i can live with it in eleven novas owned so im sure i can put up with it in one cavvy lol

bmw156
29-11-08, 01:06 PM
yeh i ut up with it as well, i just dont notice it, but kelbelle does as she has weak and feeble legs haha

"your clutch is well stiff"

Spudly
29-11-08, 01:12 PM
Thats because she has learned to drive in a ghey ass new thing with powered everything, now she is in a real car you actually have to drive rather than just enjoy she finds it all hard lol

Give it a few weeks and she should be fine!

bmw156
29-11-08, 01:19 PM
lol, she is out in it atm by her self, yes im a tad nervous, but she was alrght last night with me in it so im sure she will be fine..

Sturge
29-11-08, 02:54 PM
get a can of white spray grease and spray it down the cable, will help a bit.

But it's all just part of the charm. Welcome to always hating them and never wanting to be without one again. The original adverts couldn't have been more accurate!

dj_wudgey
29-11-08, 03:21 PM
Congrats!!!

I love driving my nova... can't stand new cars!

im the same dude every other car i get in i think is sh*t!!

MyNovaSr
29-11-08, 03:29 PM
yeh i ut up with it as well, i just dont notice it, but kelbelle does as she has weak and feeble legs haha

"your clutch is well stiff"

If its that still then the clutch is either old or fooked or your cable is about ready to snap :thumb:

Will set you back £6 for a new cable, be prepared to look stupid as you might have to cram yourself into the foot well.

Happy cramming :) :thumb:

P.s. my cluch it both light a squeek free!

kelbelle
29-11-08, 03:46 PM
Im BACK! I think i might have this nova driving malarky down now but got a bit of shoulder ache from the gears lol

Sturge
29-11-08, 03:48 PM
that car's either really dead or you're REALLY weak lol

Rich
29-11-08, 03:55 PM
Shoulder ache is probably from sitting at an angle due to the pissed steering wheel position lol

Love the rattles you get from old cars, it adds to the drive. If its quiet assume its fallen off

MyNovaSr
29-11-08, 03:56 PM
Shoulder ache is probably from sitting at an angle due to the pissed steering wheel position lol

Love the rattles you get from old cars, it adds to the drive. If its quiet assume its fallen off

If a wheel overtakes you don't assume it's yours :cool:

Nova_Tek
29-11-08, 09:45 PM
P.s. my cluch it both light a squeek free!

As is mine home boy :)

kelbelle
30-11-08, 07:04 PM
ok i think i jinxed myself with the last post

Drove to work today and parked at my mates house. Walked there after work, set myself up and tried to pull away. Got a few meters UP THE HILL and stalled. Ok no problem, happens to everyone i thought. Adjusted the choke, pull away, judder judder stall. Repeat this till Im halfway up the hill and come to the decision the car is obviously not going anywhere.

So now Im stuck facing up hill, in the middle of the road with parked cars either side so no cars can get past me. Phone BMW in a panic and he suggests I let the handbrake off and slowly let the car roll back down the hill to our mates house. Thats a long way away so I decide to let the car roll and swing it into a parking space, coming very close to a parked car. Get as far in the parking space as the kerb will allow and phone my friends who all come running up the hill to help me. In the mean time, a man has heard my commotion and come out of his house to find a hysterical girl in the middle of the road directing cars back the other way.

The nice man suggested I may be trying to pull away in 3rd gear instead of 1st so my friend gets in and gives it a go and manages to get it back to her house. BMW arrives on his moped wet from the rain to find the commotion over.

So now I feel like a complete idiot! Because I caused all this commotion and got so upset all because I wasnt putting the car out of gear and putting it back in everytime I stalled and so was repeatedly trying to pull away in 3rd.

Well you live and learn! lol :thumb:

mowgli
30-11-08, 07:09 PM
ok, kellybelly,

its a bit like weeing in a swimming pool, but we don't necessarily own up to it even though we all have at some point.

bmw156
30-11-08, 07:20 PM
im wet

Nova_Tek
30-11-08, 10:05 PM
ok i think i jinxed myself with the last post

Drove to work today and parked at my mates house. Walked there after work, set myself up and tried to pull away. Got a few meters UP THE HILL and stalled. Ok no problem, happens to everyone i thought. Adjusted the choke, pull away, judder judder stall. Repeat this till Im halfway up the hill and come to the decision the car is obviously not going anywhere.

So now Im stuck facing up hill, in the middle of the road with parked cars either side so no cars can get past me. Phone BMW in a panic and he suggests I let the handbrake off and slowly let the car roll back down the hill to our mates house. Thats a long way away so I decide to let the car roll and swing it into a parking space, coming very close to a parked car. Get as far in the parking space as the kerb will allow and phone my friends who all come running up the hill to help me. In the mean time, a man has heard my commotion and come out of his house to find a hysterical girl in the middle of the road directing cars back the other way.

The nice man suggested I may be trying to pull away in 3rd gear instead of 1st so my friend gets in and gives it a go and manages to get it back to her house. BMW arrives on his moped wet from the rain to find the commotion over.

So now I feel like a complete idiot! Because I caused all this commotion and got so upset all because I wasnt putting the car out of gear and putting it back in everytime I stalled and so was repeatedly trying to pull away in 3rd.

Well you live and learn! lol :thumb:

Thats a typical early panic attack that first time drivers seem to do. Happened to a few of my mates whilst I was in the car.

The car will stall and the driver, trying thier hardest to not hold anyone up and avoid a situation, rushes and ends up making a hash of the situation.

Nova gear change can sometimes feel like 1st when its actualy 3rd. Done it a few times in traffic. Stopped at the lights, think Im in 1st go to move off and not much happening lol.

Just dont try finding 5th gear in a 4 speed lol . got so used to driving in the Cav's that I kept tryin to stick it in 5th and even looking at the gearstick whilst trying thinking 'wtf wheres 5th' :tard:

jimbob-mcgrew
30-11-08, 11:27 PM
well done.
yep the standard brakes are probably the worst thing about the nova. i highly reccomend you upgrade to 2 litre brakes depending what wheel size youve got.
most, if not all of em come with squeeky clutch pedals, youll have to blob a bit of grease on the pedal linkages.
and the non power steering, dont worry, youll be used to after a week.
the choke can be tricky, id imagine youll fcuk it up for a while, and then all of a sudden youll know exactly where its supposed to be when starting, idling and running.
another thing : if its a mk.2 i wouldnt advise pushing the hazard switch unless u really need too, as they got a tendency to die and once pushed cant be turned off.

Spudly
01-12-08, 11:49 AM
Its a mk1 mate, read the thread and you would know this...

Mk2 hazard switches only break when you pull them out of the dash, you have to turn them on first otherwise you break the ratchet mechanism inside them!

lukogte
01-12-08, 11:52 AM
does everyone get a png welcome pack i want one

Spudly
01-12-08, 11:55 AM
Youve gotta be a club member to receive a club pack bud, not exactly the right place to be asking though!

MK999
01-12-08, 03:39 PM

Mk2 hazard switches only break when you pull them out of the dash, you have to turn them on first otherwise you break the ratchet mechanism inside them!

Just pull it to pieces and take the springs and ratchet system out :thumb:

mayhem
01-12-08, 03:47 PM
a well, we all have oure little f*ck ups when driving alone for the first few times. with some experiance you can pull away in 3rd btw ;)

i passed my test, picked up my license and took my first drive in my nova... and it started to smell funny... halfway through town i found out i was driving with the handbrake still on lol

bmw156
01-12-08, 05:03 PM
well done.
yep the standard brakes are probably the worst thing about the nova. i highly reccomend you upgrade to 2 litre brakes depending what wheel size youve got.

i have the sr 3 spokes so i doubt they would fit under

read my WIP and you would know it is a mk1 with a mk2 dash:thumb::D

Spudly
01-12-08, 06:38 PM
read my WIP and you would know it is a mk1 with a mk2 dash:thumb::D

In which case ill take that comment back as im not overly well versed in all the w.i.p. threads so didnt know that one lol

Lynsey
01-12-08, 07:17 PM
Yeah, parrall(sp?) park with pas.. then try it in a nova.
Everyone should lean with non pas as it will at times make you a better driver.

I taught myself to drive, in my Nova :) when I was 16 :roll:

Congratulations Kell- unfortunately you've chosen the worst time of the year to start driving but sometimes being thrown in at the deep end is the best way :thumb:

You'll certainly be driving it differently than you would a new car, I'm sure that parrallel parking etc etc will be a piece of pish in a Nova ;)

Lynsey
01-12-08, 07:21 PM
ps- I had a 1.4 SR engined Nova, a Corsa SRI 16V (BOOOO) which then had a 20SEH, Mk2 Nova SR and my current Cavalier SRi and Nova (1.2, 1.6, 20SEH). Every car I've had has always had a squeeky clutch lol

Spudly
01-12-08, 07:22 PM
^^^Lets you know youre actually driving a car and not just playing on PS2/3 or whatever lol

Lynsey
01-12-08, 07:23 PM
Lets you know you're driving an old Vauxhall lol

Spudly
01-12-08, 07:25 PM
Yeah i suppose thats more acurate really, unlike vaux guages.... ba dum tissshhh lol

kelbelle
01-12-08, 08:50 PM
You'll certainly be driving it differently than you would a new car, I'm sure that parrallel parking etc etc will be a piece of pish in a Nova ;)

Only parked twice and the first time was in a bay 1 and a half the size of a normal one and the 2nd time i went in a massive parent and child one at asda because i had me lil sis with me lol

not attempted a parallel park yet accept when I rolled in backwards down the hill into it sunday night lol

Lauren
02-12-08, 03:49 PM
^ Did your instructor not teach you to parallel park? :roll:

kelbelle
02-12-08, 04:22 PM
yeah but im scared to do it lol No one there to help you if it goes wrong. Parallel parks Im ok with its the bay park im worried about. Never done it with other cars near me :)

Welsh Dan
02-12-08, 04:50 PM
Nova's are really easy to parrallel park. Get the hang of it now while you've got a car you can see out of lol.

kelbelle
04-12-08, 04:06 PM
Well i did my first ever bay park with other cars wither side of me today and it went perfect so i am confident i can do that now.
Just got to find somewhere to parallel park ha ha

bmw156
04-12-08, 04:10 PM
oi oi kelbelle you should be doing college work at college not going on PNG lol

mowgli
04-12-08, 04:10 PM
Well i did my first ever bay park with other cars wither side of me today and it went perfect so i am confident i can do that now.
Just got to find somewhere to parallel park ha ha

And here is a photo of kellybelly parking in that very bay

http://crazycrashes.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/car-crash-1.jpg

bmw156
04-12-08, 04:12 PM
And here is a photo of kellybelly parking in that very bay

kelbelle i hope the car is alright:thumb:

Spudly
04-12-08, 04:13 PM

So thats how rexy put out the fuel fire under his bonnet lol

kelbelle
04-12-08, 06:15 PM
oi you cheeky *******! lol
I am a fine driver thank you very much!

mowgli
04-12-08, 08:30 PM
oi you cheeky *******! lol
I am a fine driver thank you very much!

What did you get the fine for???????????;)

kelbelle
04-12-08, 10:35 PM
oh ha ha your sooooo funny lol
Actually took me a while to get what you meant

mowgli
04-12-08, 11:05 PM
what you need to do is park your car properly in a council car park, but don't get a ticket. after an hour, you get a piece of paper that says 'Parking Fine'

kelbelle
05-12-08, 08:24 PM
how stupid do you think i am lol

mowgli
05-12-08, 08:44 PM
how stupid do you think i am lol

I don't think you are stupid at all, but you give such good feed lines