PDA

View Full Version : Can someone point out the blooming obvios please. She won't run :(

astraluke
27-11-08, 07:08 PM
Right i've got the 20ne engine and plumbed / wired.

She turns over but won't run :(

Fuel pressure is there. does this mean the ecu is live??

I followed the wiring diagrams on this site and links from here. most of them are for the 16v, but there shouldn't be too much difference.

The ecu is giving me an engine light on start up (as usual, goes off on crank)

The engine is a known runner. i drove it home!!!

Anybody got any suggestions no matter how trivial, because i'm gonna have another go this weekend and need an idea what to look at.

Thanks in advance

Luke

astraluke
27-11-08, 07:09 PM
forgot to ask if anyone know which side is flow and which is return on the fuel rail to make sure i got the right??

Adam
27-11-08, 07:10 PM
Flow goes to the Rail, return comes FROM the regulator on the rail

astraluke
27-11-08, 07:18 PM
i've just got to point on rail, hold on. i'll g get a pic

astraluke
27-11-08, 07:35 PM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n291/astraluke/SN150978.jpg

Not that easy to see, but it's awkward with the engine in

Lee
27-11-08, 07:37 PM
If your sure you have pressure you must have the fuel plumbed correctly.

Are you getting spark?

astraluke
27-11-08, 07:52 PM
Well i know the lines are under pressure, it squirts everywhere when you take them off!!! lol Doesn't mean they right though??

need a friend to check there is a spark really (can't be in too places at once), but i think so. didn't seem overly strong though, but then i'm more used to my v6??

Lee
27-11-08, 07:58 PM
Well i know the lines are under pressure, it squirts everywhere when you take them off!!! lol Doesn't mean they right though??

need a friend to check there is a spark really (can't be in too places at once), but i think so. didn't seem overly strong though, but then i'm more used to my v6??

Well thats fault finding 101 pal, Check for fuel, spark and compression. :D

astraluke
27-11-08, 08:04 PM
i know matey, just wondered if anyone would point out something silly that would strike a note.

If no spark, wots that likely to be (wiring wise??)

Cheers for your help btw

Lee
27-11-08, 08:21 PM
Have you connected the constant live from the ECU? (red wire)

astraluke
27-11-08, 08:28 PM
Have you connected the constant live from the ECU? (red wire)

Couldn't find one tbh. there was the three pin plg at the gearbox end, believe this is the switch live only. where would this be located??

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n291/astraluke/SN150984.jpg

Lee
27-11-08, 08:36 PM
On the engine loom you should have a thick red wire (constant live, connect to batt +ve), a black wire (switched live, connect to a switched live feed, the old coil feed is normally a winner, use an inline fuse. Alternatively, attach to back of fusebox), a red and blue wire (fuelpump feed) and an earth (brown, attach to chassis)

All these should be found in a large multipin plug which would have plugged into the doner cars main loom. You should NOT have used any of the engine harness to feed the starter or alternator, you should be using the nova's loom to do this.

If you cannot find a black wire, it may be an early loom with a black with a yellow trace switched live. The pump feed may be blue in this case as well.

astraluke
27-11-08, 08:56 PM
hmmm perminant live sounds suspect. will double check that one!!! LOL

Rep added aswel matey

Adam
27-11-08, 09:45 PM
Do you have the ecu light wired up???

Will F
27-11-08, 10:17 PM
Yep he said he has the EML working, which means teh switched live must be working!
If you have fuel and a spark it should start - just plumb the fuel lines the other way and try it!

astraluke
27-11-08, 10:21 PM
oh yeah engine light menas ecu working!!!

Tried the fuel lines both ways round no difference....

skidmarkz
28-11-08, 08:24 AM
as lee says,

Fuel - you say it squirts everywhere
Compression - you said you drove it home
Spark - ? Take a spark plug out connect back up to your spark plug lead and put it to ground " part of chassis" is it sparking???