PDA

View Full Version : xe rods

*Dave*
27-11-08, 04:13 PM
In the middle of rebuilding my xe, is there a certain way the rods do round ?(is there a front and a back to the rods)??

didnt think of this when i took it apart , got new pistons as mine are f****d! (pics below), and cant put them on till i know this about the rods.

may sound silly but im not the sharpest tool in the box lol.

cheers:thumb:

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj183/davenova/rod.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj183/davenova/piston.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj183/davenova/rod2.jpg

:confused:

craig green
27-11-08, 04:44 PM
Fooken hell. Those pistons are shot.

Is there an oil passage in XE rods?

ck
27-11-08, 05:53 PM
yeah wow, major DET damage to the tops of one of those pistons.

id defo get another set tbh.

if you look on the pistons they should have the larger vlave cutouts on the inlet side.. this should help distinguish which way around they were

skidmarkz
28-11-08, 08:30 AM
hmm not sure aboout the rod part unless you have a oil spray in the rod, but the caps cirtainly have to be a cirtain way round on the XE anyway.. go get a haynes manual you lazy git!

*Dave*
28-11-08, 12:01 PM
ok thanks so far for the help.

ill have a look at what CK said, should help me.

cheers

Philsutton
28-11-08, 12:09 PM
Pretty sure the rods need to be the right way round, same as the pistons.

burgo
28-11-08, 01:07 PM
ive never heard about rods going a certain way. the only way i can see a problem is if your re-using the bearings but if not then i cant see a problem

white2lSR
28-11-08, 01:15 PM
while the bottom end is out get it all balenced and lightened (flywheel as well). Cost me about £150 by autosprint at Birmingham.

Also get the caps drilled and fit some stronger rod bolts. You wouldnt want to do all this only to find a rod exiting through the side of the block!!

*Dave*
28-11-08, 06:45 PM
while the bottom end is out get it all balenced and lightened (flywheel as well). Cost me about £150 by autosprint at Birmingham.

Also get the caps drilled and fit some stronger rod bolts. You wouldnt want to do all this only to find a rod exiting through the side of the block!!

why dril the caps?
how much are arp rod bolts?

ck
28-11-08, 11:04 PM
arp conrod bolts are just under £60 delivered.

you need to countersink the con rod caps just a little bit (1mm chamfer) for the arp conrod bolts to seat against the caps properly

Lee
28-11-08, 11:08 PM
They do have an oil passage and they do need to go in a certain way.

Which way I cant remember though lol

*Dave*
28-11-08, 11:39 PM
ok more help needed as to which way the rods go:(

*Dave*
30-11-08, 03:13 AM
please??

ck
30-11-08, 06:05 AM
this is my old C20LET engine, they share the same conrods as the C20XE
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/ckallis500/Image411.jpg

ck
30-11-08, 06:18 AM
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/ckallis500/c20xeconrod.jpg

*Dave*
30-11-08, 05:40 PM
ok great !

cheers CK.

now know hat way the caps go round.

has any body noticed a pin hole on one side of the rod just bellow the cap bolt hole.(oil feed??)

does this hole face the front of the engine or back??

extremely greatfull for the help, top stuff !!

ck
30-11-08, 07:23 PM
the caps should be fitted the the conrod the correct way.

when removing each rod/piston you should have noted its position, removed the cap slid the piston out and placed the cap back on in its same orientation...

ill have a look and see what i can find. i have a set of xe rods down stairs ill have a look at aswell..

chris

*Dave*
01-12-08, 04:30 PM
the caps should be fitted the the conrod the correct way.

when removing each rod/piston you should have noted its position, removed the cap slid the piston out and placed the cap back on in its same orientation...

ill have a look and see what i can find. i have a set of xe rods down stairs ill have a look at aswell..

chris

any luck?

Dar
01-12-08, 06:25 PM
The pistons should have a little arrow on them and that should be pointing to number 1 cylinder. If you have taken the pistons off of the rods then you will also need to check that the rod is on the right way around on the piston.

*Dave*
01-12-08, 06:56 PM
cant see anything on the pistons which are still on the rods as they are highly damaged.:(

skidmarkz
01-12-08, 07:49 PM
cant see anything on the pistons which are still on the rods as they are highly damaged.:(

dave you numpty i told you how.... look at the pic above.. the wedge on the cam caps face the gearbox side of the car, you still have your caps on ya rods n pistons.. job jobbed mate..

*Dave*
02-12-08, 12:16 AM
Yea But Im Not 100% I Put The Caps Back The Way They Came Off :confused: :mad: lol

JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE IM PUTTING THEM BACK ON THE RIGHT WAY

*Dave*
02-12-08, 06:43 PM
nobody know?

must of been a few xe rebuilds done surely !!!

ck
05-12-08, 04:46 AM
not had any luck yet mate?

ive just got an xe and about to pull it apart, as soon as the sump is off i'll let you know which way around the go (hopefully friday evening)

*Dave*
05-12-08, 08:45 AM
ok cheers mate.