PDA

View Full Version : where to weild?

DEE'S NOVA
19-11-02, 07:52 PM
right as all of us know the boots on novas r bad for rustying so i have a hole where the spare wheel sits and at the left side of the boot where do you weild is it inside the boot or out side does it matter?does the metal have to be a certain thickness as i have an old wing i was going to cut and weild would this do? :wink:

mowgli
19-11-02, 08:56 PM
ring your local mot garage they will tell you.

Don't get me to weld it, cos it would look like someone scared a turkey.

Cheers

DEE'S NOVA
20-11-02, 03:07 PM
nah me pah is doing it just need to know about the above

CP
20-11-02, 10:14 PM
Clean off the paint and crap and weld it on the inside. Using metal off your old wing is fine but clean right down to bare metal both sides. If MIG welding turn right down and weld using a series of spot welds going round & round the patch until its all welded complete. Tap it into shape with hammer from time to time Dont try and do a continual run cos it makes it warp worse and anyway you are likely to burn thru.
Have a hose ready cos the rubber underseal stuff underneath the car on the other side of the weld area burns like buggery and gives off horrible fumes. Watch out for the petrol tank which is not far away on the other side of the back axle!

jon_boy
21-11-02, 05:04 PM
i know its a hard one to answer but ive got the same problem... how much would it cost roughly to get fixed in my local average garage place?

stan*
27-11-02, 11:44 AM
After u've welded give the fresh area a good dose of zinc primer then re-seal wiv panel sealer.

ade
29-11-02, 09:57 AM
... or completely coat inside and out with grey stripe or similar sealent - dont use silicone - use proper mastick stuff used to seal the gaps between wings - hanfords do small tupes in pressurizes comtainers for about ?6

Ade

Manta Mad
29-11-02, 01:05 PM
good advice about not using silicone, I had a car once where repairs had been done by a previous owner who had used silicone and it caused the metal to rust badly.