PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 8V Tuning

MC
19-11-02, 02:36 PM
To save the same questions keep cropping up, here’s a few ideas, feel free to add your comments tips and experience:

Before commencing any engine modifications, it is advisable to ensure that all of the basic components are working well. This will save time and money. The engine itself should be in sound condition with no unusual knocking noises and no smoke. There’s no point spending money on an engine that is going to fail. Also check that the ignition system is in good working order. If in doubt use new plugs, leads and distributor cap, nothing fancy, as long as they work, they’re fine.

This guide is based at getting power on a strict budget. Even this will cost money, so if your only driving this particular car for a short while until you can afford something faster, don’t bother, save your money. If however you see it as a project to get a quick little engine car and have fun, then these tips should be helpful. The only way you can really save money on any modification, is to do it yourself. If you are paying someone else, then change your pay details so that the money goes direct to the garage!

One last thing, if you have limited power, don’t fit big body kits and wheels, I guarantee they will slow you down. I lied, another note, lose weight, drop the huge stereo system, and if you can bear it, strip some interior, it will make more difference than spending ?500!

Tuning the 1.4:

Now this is an engine worth going to town on. You can get excellent performance, possibly enough to be competitive with 2.0 16v round a track. I will however add, that you must be dedicated. If you decide to go to bigger cc’s you’ll be wasting your money by playing half heartedly with the 1.4.

Head
To start off with, I’d scrap the 1.4 head. It’s poo. Even if you have it modified, it would still be inferior to the 1.2, 1.3 or 1.4i. So there’s you starting point. The best bet is the 1.2. It will raise compression flow better and be cheaper to buy. The 1.4I has larger valves but requires work to match the inlet ports. Far too expensive. Whilst the head is off you can look into matching the manifolds. Cut the gaskets to an exact match with the manifolds, then use them as templates to machine material from the head. If in doubt get help! To go all out you’ve got to go to someone like Blydenstein. You wont get any better. Cost: ?50 - ?500

Exhaust
Now here’s where it gets tricky, I’m not sure if there will be much, if any benefit from using a GTE/GSI exhaust system. If not the only option is to buy an aftermarket one. It’s gonna cost money. If you are goings for max BHP then buy a system and manifold, if your on a budget, you might as well stick with what you have, or possibly a back box. ?0 - ?250

Camshaft
Now the cheap option would be to use the 1.6 camshaft. This might give increased duration and lift, but beware, try to use the followers that are with the new cam, and in the correct place. Also look at the amount of wear. There is no point picking a cam coz it is suppose to have 2mm higher lift over a longer duration if there is 4mm of wear on the followers. Try buying new ones if you can stretch to it, and come to mention it, buying new ones for the standard cam will probably bring back a few missing ponies. For all-out power, I’d ignore people that say not to go too wild. The cams cost the same, mid range torque loss is minimal (other mods will more than compensate) and the power gained is phenomenal. That’s from real world experience! Costs: Cam: ?25 - ?180

Inlet
Assuming you’ve taken my advice, you’ll need a manifold suitable for a 1.3 head. Matching is very important if you can do it. The cheaper option is to try and obtain a weber 32/34 twin choke. These can be found in scrappies, but you’ll have to hunt around. You’ll need to fit an adapter plate which can be bought from weber dealers unless you are lucky enough to find one off a Nova. To get the best performance from this, you’ll need to ensure that the carb is matched to the manifold by increasing the diameter of the inlet and it’s gaskets/adapters. This is necessary to maximise the use of the new carb. The ultimate power gain will come from fitting Twin 40 DCOE’s. Now I doubt you’ll find any in a scrap yard, especially not with the 1.3 manifold, although you’ll probably be able to get them second hand. The cost of these will start escalating the budget as you’ll have to ensure they are set up on a rolling road, but once set up you should not need to pay them any more attention. The key is locking any mixture and balance screws in place. I wont go into detail, but you’ll need to get a few bits to make them fit and work. The information is available. Cost: ?100 - ?300.

So that sums up the critical stuff. Depending on what routes you take, you can have from 100bhp to 135+bhp and torque with it. The cost can vary from ?150 - ?1200. It all depends how hard you try to find bargains and second hand parts.

I will stress however that decent brakes and suspension are a must if you want to go anywhere fast!

wisewood
19-11-02, 03:13 PM
This guide and the 1.2 guide are excellent mate.

I am most impressed...
should save plenty of repeated questions and help people out time and time again. Nice one.

cornish
19-11-02, 04:15 PM
My 2p:

I have a 1400 engine running 40's, cam, head and exhaust.

Exhaust:

Backbox came with the car. Cost me ?80 2nd hand for a Janspeed 4-branch manifold and striaght through centre section.

Head:

Bought a 1300 topend from the scrappy's for ?25, i modified the head myself by matching the inlet ports, smoothed the outlet throats and had the valve seats recut with compound angles. This cost about ?150 including the price of the porting tools i bought.

Cam:

?175 for the kit, Courtenay Hi-Torq Cam.

The Carbs:

I bought Austin's old 40's off of him for a ?60 and one Weber 45. I bought a 2nd hand inlet manifold for a 1400 with alternator bracket for ?50. I then swapped the 40's and inlet manifold for a another set of 40's with a 1300 inlet manifold and linkage.

I probably spent about ?100-?150 on other bits of pieces (fuel pressure regulator, gaskets etc...)

All in all this cost me about ?665, although i still need to pay for a rolling road session to set the lot up, but it does run ok atm.

stan*
27-11-02, 11:04 AM
couple of tips to make a little difference:

Over advance the ignition. advance the ignition untill u get pinking then retard slightly.

Remove EGR valve: the EGR valve is situated on head, above the inlet manifold. if u dont know wot it looks like, check the haynes manual. take it of, manufacture a blancking plate the same size, block off the vacuum pipe and put on ur plate. use gasket sealer.

Try and find urself a four branch exhaust manifold-better flow charecteristics than 4-2-1.

Phil_G
01-12-02, 01:01 AM
This guide and the 1.2 guide are excellent mate.

I am most impressed...
should save plenty of repeated questions and help people out time and time again. Nice one.

Hi,

that is if they bother taking notice of it.....

cheers

phil

mikeoxford
02-12-02, 02:29 PM
is this egr thing the vacuum advance unit? mounted next to the dizzy?

i have connected mine up - will i see any gains by removing it and plating over it??

stan*
02-12-02, 03:45 PM
No, its not the vaccuum advance m8, thats in the dizzy. the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve introduces exhaust gas back into the combustion chambers so as 2 reduce immisions. take it of and u get more fresh charge. u probably wont notice any difference, it just aids complete combustion.

Aragorn
16-12-02, 09:30 AM
just been having a shifty thru the haynes here while having discussion with locky about the 1.4 8v

he was talking about camshafts n stuff and i noticed summat interesting:

you say above to use the 1.6 cam, but the 14nv cam actually provides more lift: 14nv, 6.12mm inlet and exhaust; 16se 5.6mm inlet 6.12mm exhaust

now i realise its small but the 1.4 cams will be easier to find in the long run than the 1.6 cams and as far as those numbers go tehy are better

MC
17-12-02, 07:54 AM
Well spotted. What was the difference in duration?

When you buy an aftermarket camshaft, most manufacturers actually quote the same part number for both engines. Shows there is little difference, and both are interchangeable.

Dannova12
21-01-03, 10:06 PM
Just to add, You say use the 1200 8v head on the 1400 block, but do u use the valves and followers from the 1400 or the 1200 ones. Or are they all the same.

Im re building my 1400 at the moment and im not sure what to do, i was gonna put the 1600 cam on it too untl i read that additional post.

thanks

Dan

MC
22-01-03, 09:20 AM
Don't touch the valves, just use the followers, lifters and cam that came from the 1400. Keep the followers with the cam lobe they were with originally. So 1400 btm, 1200 head, 1400 rocker box and followers.

Dannova12
23-01-03, 12:26 AM
So the 1200 valves then,? What sort of gains should i expect then, it betta not run like a lumpy bag of shite!!

(bit strange really, took the engine apart last night, pistons out the lot and it all seems fine, aint gotta clue why it werent runnin properly. Also the 1200 head has been skimmed before, will it still be okay??)

MC
23-01-03, 08:00 AM
Heads can normally be skimmed more than once, but if you take it to an engineer, he'll tell you if it needs skimmin again, and if it can be done.

The only reason a car will run like a bag of shite, is if the owner doesn't set it up right!

You cant just swap valves in a head. If you want largher valves (recommended), you'll have to have new valve seats machined in. Will add a few pennies.

MC

Dannova12
24-01-03, 10:40 PM
Whilst looking at my 1200 head i noticed a large crack in it, ohh dear thats buggered then.

I do though have another 1200 head, whilst comparing the 2 heads i noticed that the inlet ports on the 1200 were a lot bigger, so in this case, the 1400 manifold with the pierburg carb wont mate up correctly.

Does this mean i need to change the inlet manifold and get another carb?

(at this rate im gonna end up stickin the old 1400 head back on LOL!! :):))

Aragorn
24-01-03, 10:46 PM
as it says up there - u need the manifold off a 1300SR with the twin choke carb (some early 1300's had single chokes)

Dannova12
25-01-03, 12:05 AM
ahh so its best i get a weber 32/34,

For now though would the 1.2 manifold and carb be okay on it?? Just until i source another manifold and carb,

cos i realy need to decide which head to use

NovaloadedAgain
25-01-05, 12:35 PM
I wouldnt recommend using the 1.2 carb mate on the 1.4. Its gona pink quite badly I should imagine.

Stuart
25-01-05, 01:08 PM
numpty that was posted 2 years ago lmao