PDA

View Full Version : Dead SR

Leeboo
25-11-08, 09:39 PM
Hi people,

I've a Nova here with a 1300 8v carb engine. The engine has been ran in the car for a good while, maybe 2000 miles, but its now just very dead of itself.

The engine generally doesn't really want to rev very well, and is very sluggish most of the time. On two ocassions it has actually dipped down onto 2/3 cylinders temporarily.

It does not use much (if any) oil or water, and doesn't pour out smoke.

The spark plugs, oil and filter, and fuel filter were all replaced about 2k ago, maximum.

The valves tap quite regularly, mostly when the engine is warm, after you switch it off and then restart. Also the engine sometimes runs on a little bit after turning off after a long journey.

Anybody got any suggestions? Its no quicker than the likes of a 1.2 carb at the minute, sometimes slower.

A friend had suggested to replace the head with a good 1.2 head he has, then perhaps fit a 1600 carb cam (I have one).

Whadyathink?

mowgli
25-11-08, 09:58 PM
spark leads, dizzy cap, & rotor arm, maybe the coil.. check the advance retard on the dizzy.

also, it is a pain to get at, but try cleaning out the breather assy.

Leeboo
26-11-08, 12:38 PM
Just tried leads there now from another engine, the spark plugs are about 1.5 k old, the coil is a week old. Still the same. Suppose I should really inspect the spark lugs anyway.

I've got a spare 2nd hand distributor and cap I think may try that.

How do I check the advance retard?

And the breather assembly, is this the little round shaped thing down the back of the engine that the oil breather pipe from the air filter goes to?

Also a friend is suggesting that the valves are sooted up?

Shaun_O'Donnell
26-11-08, 12:46 PM
What's the condition of the carb? May need a clean out.

Leeboo
26-11-08, 12:51 PM
I'm not sure, I never really looked near the carb, maybe I will try to get some carb cleaner.

Would it be worth trying the carb off a 1.6 carb engine just to see if its any better? I have a complete 1.6 carb engine here.

Shaun_O'Donnell
26-11-08, 12:55 PM
I had the same problem with my last Nova, could not figure out what was wrong and ended up getting rid of it. 6 months later stopped the guy driving it and asked how he got it running, he removed the in-carb fuel filter and fitted an in-line filter. It was a 1.4 though.

If all the electrical parts are new, I'd be looking towards fuel supply issues.

Hope this helps.

Leeboo
26-11-08, 01:03 PM
Thanks Shaun. I have fitted an in-line fuel filter but I haven't removed the one in the carb obviously.

I'm also looking towards fuel delivery now as the car revs freely when its stationary, but struggles under load. I had it out for a spin there and its very very slow at building revs.

Leeboo
26-11-08, 02:35 PM
Well I tried the Carb off the 1.6 engine and gave the car a good hard driving for about 10 mins (5.5-6k revs each gear) and she seems to be revving a lot better, less hesitation.

Only thing is, shes probably overfuelling a bit, sounds like a rally car at idle now lol .

I might see what fuel consumption is like and if its not too much worse I may just keep the 1600 carb on it instead of playing around with the old one.

AlexW
26-11-08, 03:05 PM
That sounds like the dizzy timing is out, mine is the excate same as what your decribing.

Leeboo
26-11-08, 03:24 PM
Thanks, mowgli mentioned that too?

Is that where you get a timing light and twist the distributor until you it perfect?

Shaun_O'Donnell
26-11-08, 03:26 PM
Yeah, but you'll need to know the degrees before or after top dead centre etc for firing.

Leeboo
26-11-08, 03:51 PM
Yeah I know someone who has a timing light and the list of degrees etc so may look into it.

Seems to be going very well with the 1600 carb, but it will use more fuel probably.

AlexW
26-11-08, 04:52 PM
So youve got it all figured out then? Let us know how you get on.

Leeboo
26-11-08, 05:43 PM
Well not entirely. I have it running well now, but with the wrong carb.

I took another pierburg off a 1.6 carb engine I have, fitted it to the 1300, and now it revs a lot more freely, it winds on upto 6k or whatever freely on the road now so I gave it a good driving to make sure it was well freed' up. I reckon its back on full power.

But now its going to be using too much fuel with that carb as its for a 1600, it smells rich and has a lumpy idle.

So if I find that mpg is very low, I will have to work out whats wrong with the 1300 carb!!

AlexW
26-11-08, 06:15 PM
Might be worth upgrading to a 1.4 carb, bit more power but shouldnt be too much worse than the 1.3 item. If not though might be worth cleaning the carb, just rip it open!

Leeboo
26-11-08, 06:20 PM
I might just rip the 1300 carb open and clean it, and remove the filter like Shaun said.

Shes still not really that sharp though, still doesn't really feel any quicker than the likes of a 1.2. Not sure what else to do but maybe just get the 1300 carb cleaned and carry on.

AlexW
26-11-08, 06:21 PM
If you can just make tiny adjustments to the dizzy and keep trying it, if it gets worse go back the other way, its not the easy way but meh.

craig green
26-11-08, 08:52 PM
Get the carb looked at by a time served mechanic that knows this sort of engine.