PDA

View Full Version : Twin 40s r they worth it

Rally Nova
25-11-08, 09:05 PM
wasup everyone my pierburg carb on me nova is drivin me round the bend never wants to run right words cannot describe how much grief its causin me but ive decided to get rid of it and get a webber but should i go for twin 40s the bloke i bought it off last year recommended them but are they worth gettin. how much of job will it be and where can i get a conversion for me motor. its a 1.3 sr cheers

Jack
25-11-08, 09:13 PM
Yo, you'll need the inlet manifold and alternator bracket and throttle cables, digg?

Have a look in the for sale forums, there's always a few sets available. Don't forget you'll also need to get them set up properly (and maintained too) which could cost a few quid.

Rally Nova
25-11-08, 09:17 PM
ok cheers for tht m8 any idea wat sort of gains i could be makin cos its got a high lift cam on it wit rebiult pistons and valves plus a bit of head work cheers

mowgli
25-11-08, 10:03 PM
ok cheers for tht m8 any idea wat sort of gains i could be makin cos its got a high lift cam on it wit rebiult pistons and valves plus a bit of head work cheers
anywhere from 10-20hp is easily possible if set up right, we try to avoid txt spk and abbreviations because things can be misread, 'sh1t in tnk' can mean a few different things..

Stoo
25-11-08, 10:56 PM
punctuation is also a good idea

Dod
25-11-08, 10:58 PM
Init yo.

dougie_boi
25-11-08, 11:35 PM
yeah i think you would benifet a lot better for the twin carbs as long as they are set up right im having the same problems with mine cant get it to run right at all got some gd advice from fellas in here tho

Dod
25-11-08, 11:41 PM
*****ATTENTION*****

Free dots. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Now you can use them on your own keyboard as part of your posts!!!

_JH_
26-11-08, 12:09 AM
Very constructive Dod :tard:

Welcome to the forum, what do you use the car for?

Rally Nova
26-11-08, 06:42 PM
ok sorry about no more text talk

Rally Nova
26-11-08, 06:43 PM
would i need to uprate the fuel pump for the 40s or the sr one be ok

Rally Nova
26-11-08, 06:47 PM
its me main car so im pretty much drivin it everywhere regular runs to southend etc

DW-Nova
26-11-08, 10:30 PM
It may be worth doing the conversion to twin 40's mate yeh, it will pick up a good bit of extra power and the throttle response will be alot better, plus it'll sound amazing !!! however they can be a bit of a pain to keep set up nicely and theyre not the best for cold starts. My advice would be to go with bike carbs, i'm thinking of doing it myself and all ive heard and seen about them is good, theyre cheaper to buy, require less maintenance and are superior in the cold as i know from riding a cbr 600, as far as i know the best carbs to go for are a set of Yamaha R1's, oh plus they will sound Amazing !!!

Rally Nova
27-11-08, 02:58 PM
will they fit directly onto my nova though wat manifold would they go on and wat else would i have top do to make them fit as im not drivin it at the moment cos money is a bit tight

rubachuk
27-11-08, 03:04 PM
What about a weber 32/34 DMTL? Fits onto the existing inlet manifold with an adaptor plate, not much in the way of power increase but much much nicer to drive and a lot cheaper. I have one for sale, PM if you're interested.

That said though 40s are great and sound fab. Mine start OK in the cold, but I've connected the choke which a lot of people don't think is necessary. Contrary to above there's plenty of opinion that they don't go out of tune easily, they are well proven and not ridiculously expensive. What would bike carbs cost by the time you had a bespoke manifold fabricated? Also R1 carbs way too big for a 1300.

wils2795
27-11-08, 05:30 PM
I had twin 40's on my 1.4sr and advised to bypass the mechanical pump and replace with a new electric pump. My one was mounted in the engine bay close to the carbs however, this was moved beside the tank as it was too much load for the pump to pull the fuel from the tank up to the carbs. Could have been the wrong pump I had but once moved it worked a treat.

rubachuk
27-11-08, 07:03 PM
Mechanical pump is fine, although it works at 7 bar I think. You'll need a fuel pressure regulator set to about 3 bar.

ck
27-11-08, 08:48 PM
you wont really get any issues with cold start with twin 40 webbers or going out of tune.

i recently had my nova sport setup fitted to my A-reg 1.3sr.

the carbs had the original jets fitted which are for a standard 1.3sr engine with a backbox.

i can suply details of the settings needed for a standard/cam'd engine if needed.

once set up correctly they should not go out of tune at all, just every so often could help with a re-balance (easy job)

when i fitted my twin 40's i did not even balance them and it started first time every time, never even had to use the choke. it ran pretty smoothly throughout the rev range and pulled way better than standard.

definitely a worthwhile mod if you can get everything at a reasonable price.

you will be needing

2x matching carbs (progression hole drillings can be different)
inlet
trumpets/airbox
throttle linkage
alternator lowering bracket and upper adjuster
shorter alternator belt
water pipe (heater matrix) (can be modded using 2 std ones)

they will run absolutely fine on the std mechanical fuel pump, the carbs only need about 3psi to run fine.

as fitted to the nova sport they ran off the std mechanical pump even in tuned form with the ENEM 298degree cam.

but if further mods will be carried out (i,e head work, 4branch, system ect) then it would be worth while going for a electronic fuel pump along the lines of a facet silver top or similar.

Jim
27-11-08, 10:19 PM
CK has summed up everything regarding carbs.

Carbs going "out of tune" is a myth and usual down to an initial poor set up.

Cold starts with carbs are no more of an issue than any other non-fuel injected engine.

Provided you buy the correct parts, have the engine built and set up by someone who knows what they are doing you will have no more problems with carbs than any other engine modification.

skidmarkz
28-11-08, 08:41 AM
CK has summed up everything regarding carbs.

Carbs going "out of tune" is a myth and usual down to an initial poor set up.

Cold starts with carbs are no more of an issue than any other non-fuel injected engine.

Provided you buy the correct parts, have the engine built and set up by someone who knows what they are doing you will have no more problems with carbs than any other engine modification.

i had twin 45's on my old xe, never went out of tune, well you had to make a slight adjustment between winter & summer other than that spot on :)

Oh my throttle bodies are setup spot on and are more of a ****er on a cold start then twin 45's ever were lol!! so not all fuel injected cars get it easy :)

ednovasr2
14-03-09, 01:43 PM
great advice CK will start looking for some now!

Maka
18-03-09, 02:10 PM
i'v got a set of weber twin 40's for sale complete with the fuel pressure regulator setup, all thats lacking to run them is a manifold and throttle cable setup. also got a set of bike carbs off a yahama fazer 600 if theyre any use to you! PM if you would like any further details

Dod
18-03-09, 02:38 PM
Mmmm, 4mths ago.....

ck
19-03-09, 12:47 PM
lol i have full setup for sale too :D may ebay it all separately unless sum1 wants the whole setup

ednovasr2
20-03-09, 02:56 PM
lol i have full setup for sale too :D may ebay it all separately unless sum1 wants the whole setup

whole lot ready to just bolt on jetted for 1300?

ck
23-03-09, 05:18 AM
yep correct :D