PDA

View Full Version : sprayin

my nova
25-11-08, 06:10 PM
does any body now how to spray ive put the base on then put laquer on but a mate has said that i should tac rag the base before the laquer is put on it that true.:thumb:

Pistol Pete
25-11-08, 06:12 PM
I was under the impression that tac rags were thinners based, which would technically strip the base coat! If i am right, its not a good idea.

BTW probably should have posted in styling.

Mike
25-11-08, 06:13 PM
Tak Rags are just a sticky cloth, they pick up and retain and dust/dirt particles from the surface that your about to paint.

CoolTiger
25-11-08, 06:21 PM
spray lacquare flat with 1000 grit and polish

my nova
25-11-08, 06:23 PM
that what my mate said because u can see little bits of dust in sum bits that if i tac rag it i would not get that but because the base coat it only like dust would it affect the finish when i apply the laquer thank for the replys

Pistol Pete
25-11-08, 06:24 PM
Tak Rags are just a sticky cloth, they pick up and retain and dust/dirt particles from the surface that your about to paint.

lol how wrong was i? VERY!

FUSION X16XE
25-11-08, 06:33 PM
Have you already applied the lacquer?

my nova
25-11-08, 06:43 PM
yes mate it looks ok just bits under it. ive used 2000 wet an dry an polished it up just want to no for if i need to spray again i just think that if i touch the base coat it will mess it up.

bmw156
25-11-08, 06:58 PM
surly if you have sprayed the laquer on theres not much you can do, maybe sand it all of and start again lol.

FUSION X16XE
25-11-08, 06:59 PM
personally im no painter but i would be tempted to sand it right back, nearly thought the lacquer and then spray on the new lacquer on a nice clean flat base?

FUSION X16XE
25-11-08, 07:01 PM
PM rexy mate hes a good painter

my nova
25-11-08, 07:06 PM
ok mate thanks

Benn
25-11-08, 08:43 PM
spray lacquare flat with 1000 grit and polish

Funk me dont use 1000!

Lowest you could really go is 1200, and thats is you know what you are doing. And know how much lacquar is on the pannel.

If youve all ready flat and polished it, leave it. An less its really bad, but you'll really need to base it and clean it again. (hence why its not worth it)
You dont need to tackrag it, it just helps get a cleaner finish thats all.

Rexy
25-11-08, 09:42 PM
Panel prep:

Clean with fairy washing up liquid and scotchy - Acts as a de-greaser :D

Dry off dry scotch If needed

Panel wipe and mask

Panel wipe again, blow the item to be painted with blower and tac off.

tac off again and blow the panel off with the spray gun before applying base

Apply base

leave to dry blow off with gun again and apply second coat of base...

Keep doing this until covered etc

Let the base dry... Now, you can tac off the panel, i usually tac off the area i have not painted and give it a quick blow off with the gun again and then clear coat it.

And yes i still get **** in the paint lol ****ing annoying even with water down etc.

Flatting with 1000's is pretty harsh, i hope you have a good few coats of clear lol. Try and go for 1500's 2000's or 2500's

Everybody has there own little ways of doing things, different hints tips etc etc etc.

my nova
26-11-08, 06:26 PM
thanks for the replys. i think i goin to try sprayin another panel an this time panel wipe an tac rag of before the laquer.