PDA

View Full Version : speed camera

marc novataken
25-11-08, 02:08 PM
how fast do you have to go to set off speed camera in a 30 limit? i been told its 10% of speed limit plus 2mph so that would mean 35mph? im sure i got flashed today doing 31. i already got 3 points and been driving 7 months so ill lose my licence if i get points. am wondering if i got any grounds for appeal if i was doing 31 mph?

Shaun_O'Donnell
25-11-08, 02:10 PM
If you were doing 31, you should be ok.

Nova_Tek
25-11-08, 02:13 PM
How accurate are your dials? ıf you were doing true 31mph then it shouldnt flash at all.

Jack
25-11-08, 02:19 PM
Bearing in mind changes in wheel/tyre size can affect speedometer accuracy.

I've not known a speed camera to go off at that low a speed, assuming its accurate, but meh. Give it two weeks, if nothing has come through your door then don't worry about it.

Welsh Dan
25-11-08, 02:19 PM
Actually if they calibrate the camera every week they can set the tolerance on their equipment to zero, there is one by Wrexham's football ground that is calibrated weekly for this reason.

Southie
25-11-08, 02:20 PM
Thing is how are you going to prove you were doing 31. :(

marc novataken
25-11-08, 02:22 PM
my dials seem accurate. it was in my fiesta while nova off road so was on standard 13 inch wheels. i go through 3 speed cameras twice every day at same sort of speed just today one of them flashed (i think lol). hopefully im just being paranoid it could have been sun shining or something. but is 35r about right to set it off?

Jack
25-11-08, 02:23 PM
Thing is how are you going to prove you were doing 31. :(
Bit pointless if the limit is 30, as you'd still be admitting to speeding.

Incidentally, if your speedo IS inaccurate - which most are - the plod will just nick you for having an unroadworthy car!

Shaun_O'Donnell
25-11-08, 02:29 PM
Incidentally, if your speedo IS inaccurate - which most are - the plod will just nick you for having an unroadworthy car!

But this isn't something that is calibrated on an annual basis, nor something checked at MOT's?

Welsh Dan
25-11-08, 02:33 PM
No. Speedo's are allowed to read over actual speed but not under.

Pistol Pete
25-11-08, 04:40 PM
But this isn't something that is calibrated on an annual basis, nor something checked at MOT's?

No. But the speed camera has to be calibrated......;)

Shaun_O'Donnell
25-11-08, 04:43 PM
No. But the speed camera has to be calibrated......;)

Yeah I know, same as speed measuring equipment within Traffic Cars.

Pistol Pete
25-11-08, 04:48 PM
My comment was aimed at the OP. If he wants to contest it, try that, see what happens. :)