PDA

View Full Version : Help or advice required

Simon 1867
24-11-08, 10:21 PM
I have a set of early mk1 SR Clocks.
The matrix on the back is starting to pull apart along the bottom edge.
The metal wire part is still in tacked, dosent seem to be any brakes.

What I want to know is, is this still ok or should I replace it.
If replace is the answer where can I get a new matrix from. Does any of the 6 dials set vauxhall made fit mine or does it have to be a early sr set.

Thanks for your help:)

brainsnova
24-11-08, 10:28 PM
the plastic only holds the copper metal parts as it neater than lots of wires. all the six dials should be the same with all the dials as some have blanks.

Simon 1867
24-11-08, 10:32 PM
Thanks brainsnova, I may then give the copper wire a light clean with wire wool just to make it a better at conducting.

Nova_Tek
24-11-08, 10:40 PM

If replace is the answer where can I get a new matrix from. Does any of the 6 dials set vauxhall made fit mine or does it have to be a early sr set.

I bought a brand new PCB for the SR clocks for my dials. The bottom part of the PCB laminant peeled and the circuit was exposed.

Went to Vaux and got one from there brand new for about £12 IIRC. Was a few years back.

Give them a ring, there should be a part number on the PCB itself.

Otherwise get some electrical tape and tape it up so its doesnt bend.

:thumb:

Simon 1867
24-11-08, 10:42 PM
I bought a brand new PCB for the SR clocks for my dials. The bottom part of the PCB laminant peeled and the circuit was exposed.

Went to Vaux and got one from there brand new for about £12 IIRC. Was a few years back.

Give them a ring, there should be a part number on the PCB itself.

Otherwise get some electrical tape and tape it up so its doesnt bend.

:thumb:

Excellent matey. I will go to vauxhall tomorrow, where on the PCB is the part number? (found it)

Nova_Tek
24-11-08, 10:45 PM
Umm IIRC somewhere in the middle / off middle where there is no circuitry. Its embossed into the PCB.

You'll spot it.

Simon 1867
24-11-08, 10:46 PM
Yeah just found it.... really should look first before i typed.:roll: thanks matey

Nova_Tek
24-11-08, 10:47 PM
No worries Si :thumb:

white2lSR
24-11-08, 10:49 PM
let us know how you get on :thumb:

Count Vaux Alot
24-11-08, 10:53 PM

Hi mate had the exact same problem only the copper was funked as well so i set about looking at old sets of clocks i had including various 6 dial clocks and non of them were the same!

Had to buy new clocks in the end as the oil pressure light would not work as the pcb was gone even after i tried to repair it hope that helps :thumb:

Simon 1867
24-11-08, 10:57 PM
Hi mate had the exact same problem only the copper was funked as well so i set about looking at old sets of clocks i had including various 6 dial clocks and non of them were the same!

Had to buy new clocks in the end as the oil pressure light would not work as the pcb was gone even after i tried to repair it hope that helps :thumb:

Oh really! Thats not good, Maybe a trip to vauxhall is the way forward. Shame I cant get hold of another set of sr clocks.

Thanks matey for your help:thumb:

Nova_Tek
24-11-08, 10:58 PM
I was able to take a look at PCB's too and not all are the same. But the part number should/will correspond to a new part number that fits. The only difference on the new one is that it has a resistor fitted by the looks of thing whereas the old one didnt.

Mine has worked bang on ever since.

[Edit] Go to vauxhall mate, in person, best way forward

Count Vaux Alot
24-11-08, 11:02 PM
seconded /\

Simon 1867
24-11-08, 11:03 PM
I was able to take a look at PCB's too and not all are the same. But the part number should/will correspond to a new part number that fits. The only difference on the new one is that it has a resistor fitted by the looks of thing whereas the old one didnt.

Mine has worked bang on ever since.

[Edit] Go to vauxhall mate, in person, best way forward

Yeah I think thats best too, will take speedo with me to better explain to them. As long as it works fine after thats all that matters.

Cheers lads.:thumb:

Simon 1867
25-11-08, 01:06 PM
UPDATE::

Been to Vauxhall, the matrix on the back of the clocks is no longer serviced. I went to my local FG Barnes in Maidstone, they said other main dealers may have them on the selfs but couldnt say either way.

So this is an S.O.S

If anyone is going to there vauxhall could check if they have any.

thanks

Nova_Tek
25-11-08, 01:12 PM
really no longer serviced. There must have been very few when I got mine. I got mine from the Enfield parts dept. Cant remember if it was in stock or ordered in.

Simon 1867
25-11-08, 01:16 PM
Yeah fraid so mate, no longer serviced. I may try Enfield parts as i work in potters bar so not far away really

Nova_Tek
25-11-08, 01:21 PM
Give them a go, you never know (omg Im a poet and don't know it) Hopefully you find one.

Good luck.

AlexW
25-11-08, 01:54 PM
Go to any vaux dealer and ask them to search nationwide. Might even be worth Pm'ing Duick (That spelt correctly?)

Welsh Dan
25-11-08, 02:37 PM
I had this problem with mine and the clocks ended up shorting, however ones I separated the copper traces and taped them down they were fine.