PDA

View Full Version : Industrial Placement

andrew1988
24-11-08, 07:47 PM
Im currently at University studying Motorsport Technology and next year i have to do an industrial placement. Im at Oxford Brookes so is in a good area for motorsport. Im struggling to find anywhere though. So far ive applied to Renault F1, McLaren Automotive, Seat Sport, Nicholson McLaren Engines, Swindon Engines, Radical, Lotus, Porsche, Caterham and 888. Ive already been turned down by Porsche and Seat due to Seat UK pulling out of motorsport and Porsche not hiring.

Does anyone know of a reputable motorsport establishment that i could work at for a year?

Thanks

Pistol Pete
24-11-08, 08:23 PM
Surely some of your lecturers can give you a few pointers as to where to do a year placement. You may find this is why some of the bigger firms turned you down. You may need to think abit smaller as it is for a year. Also that you may need to travel. My mate went to Huddersfield uni, but took his placement year in Ipswich!!

mowgli
24-11-08, 08:23 PM
erm. prodrive at banbury?

andrew1988
24-11-08, 08:27 PM
Lecturers arn't very helpful with employment. Very good at teaching but theyre response is usually "Its very easy to find motorsport companies in the area"

Applied to Prodrive, knew i forgot one off that list!

Pistol Pete
24-11-08, 08:30 PM
Sounds like you've got some really helpful lecturers:roll:

Get on google or something. Maybe contact local motorsport clubs for some ideas? Like i said as it is for a year only some of the bigger companies might not be willing to take you on just for 12months.

mowgli
24-11-08, 08:30 PM
williams, or that crowd at leafield, menard?? they are at the old arrows base...

Stuart
24-11-08, 08:33 PM
See my comments on mig... well you have anyway lol.

andrew1988
24-11-08, 08:42 PM
YOU'RE CAMBRIDGE! Things are so much clearer now! lol. Thanks for comments though, made applying a bit easier

Pistol Pete
24-11-08, 08:46 PM
lol ;) and the penny drops!! (no offence taken BTW Stu!)

Try synchro motorsport (http://synchro-motorsport.com/Home.htm). They are the Honda britcar team. Their workshop is in the grounds of the factory. It is run by associates of the Honda factory (where i work, for now:( :mad: ) Maybe try them see if they would have anything for you?

andrew1988
24-11-08, 08:52 PM
E-Mail sent :thumb:

Stuart
24-11-08, 09:18 PM
lol ;) and the penny drops!! (no offence taken BTW Stu!)

damn must try harder :P lol

andrew1988
09-12-08, 08:40 PM
Got an e-mail back from Synchro, they're pulling out of motorsport. Or something along them lines. Got a few other replies, none great. Everyone on my course is struggling. Applied to 30 companies now. The one girl on my course has applied to 4 companies and been accepted by them all. bugger

Philsutton
10-12-08, 10:37 AM
My brothers just graduated with motorsport engineering and they cant get jobs. Every one they apply for they get the same reply back. We are pulling the position due to the current situation. :roll:

Also if any girls applied to something here in the physics department then they would get it regardless of good they were. As we no zero females here lol

Stoo
10-12-08, 10:43 AM
TGM Sport racing in Fleet
Force India at silverstone

meritlover
10-12-08, 10:47 AM
move to china or india. i know it isnt constructive, but thats where industry is headed, you're about 20 yrs too late im affraid

paddy138
10-12-08, 11:01 AM
my brother done his in xtrac, seems like a good place, very hard to get into tough still worth a try

Jack
10-12-08, 11:20 AM
Got an e-mail back from Synchro, they're pulling out of motorsport. Or something along them lines. Got a few other replies, none great. Everyone on my course is struggling. Applied to 30 companies now. The one girl on my course has applied to 4 companies and been accepted by them all. bugger
Keyword highlighted :D

How much do motorsport techs get paid? Whats the going rate for a sex change these days? lol

On a more serious note, try contacting those that offered her a place. Obviously she's not going to take up all four offers, so the three she turns down may still be looking for someone.

andrew1988
10-12-08, 11:43 AM
I am going to do that, just got to find her first lol. Seems now its not exactly the best industry to be getting into. Bugger

Stuart
10-12-08, 12:23 PM
move to china or india. i know it isnt constructive, but thats where industry is headed, you're about 20 yrs too late im affraid

although its slowly coming back this way in certain areas as we realise that paying you lot half the cash but you all taking two-three times longer to do stuff isnt making financial sense :D

General Lee
10-12-08, 12:41 PM
There is a place in basingstoke called x sport. not sure if it's what you are looking for??

http://www.xsportracing.com/

Also my best mate works for xtrac, which make techtonic gearboxes for a1 gp cars and a renault f1 team, they are based in thatcham.