PDA

View Full Version : Removing overspray...

Nova_Tek
24-11-08, 12:55 PM
The wifey just had her car back from the bodyshop with work done on the rear bumper.

It looks like there is some overspray on the front windscreen.

Whats the best way to remove overspray from a windscreen baring in mind I have no glass polish, stuff around the house is all I have.

Ideas? :thumb:

Shaun_O'Donnell
24-11-08, 01:04 PM
Nitro-mors, avoid getting any on rubbers or paintwork.

**edit**

Just read the full thread. There's not much that would remove it without scratching the glass.
Could try a stanley or razor blade.

Nova_Tek
24-11-08, 01:11 PM
Was thinking some sort of alcohol, got some 100% pure alcohol at home not the drinkable stuff. Maybe some ascetone but I have afeeling she may notice the bottle half empty lol

Was also thinking about T-Cut although I havent read the label to see if it says not to use on glass.

Unfortunately I havent got any nitromors.

Welsh Dan
24-11-08, 01:23 PM
Can you use a stanleyknife-bladed-scraper as you would to remove gloss paint from windows around the house?

bmw156
24-11-08, 01:30 PM
wha about cellous thinners
i used it on my bumpers and general areas of the car to remove my over spray.
not sure about glass tho, maybe do a test patch somewhere to see it if affects it??

Nova_Tek
24-11-08, 01:35 PM
I'll see if theres any thinners around. Like I said I got that pure 100% alcohol, T-Cut, grain / ethyl-alcohol.

Will have a look see and try of them out now.

:thumb:

bmw156
24-11-08, 01:37 PM
or take it back to the garage and shout at them for leaving over spray on the windscreen and say your not happy abou tit. im sure they can sort it.

if this was a surgeon doing a heart transplant and just cut a lung, they wouldnt leave it would they lol.

Nova_Tek
24-11-08, 01:46 PM
Had a go using the ethyl-alcohol and it seems to do the trick, albeit with mucho elbow grease. Read T-Cuts' label and doesnt say anything about not using on glass so will have a go with that see how easy it removes it.

Cheers :thumb:

twin40s
24-11-08, 02:14 PM
if the t-cut contains wax or somthink like that do not use on the windscreen because the wipers will not work.

twin40s
24-11-08, 02:16 PM
best thing to use on a windscreen is a razor blade or stanley blade will take time but worth it.

BIGS
24-11-08, 02:18 PM
Best way is take it back and get them to take it off! they put it there they can take it off

Nova_Tek
24-11-08, 02:20 PM
if the t-cut contains wax or somthink like that do not use on the windscreen because the wipers will not work.

Dont think T-Cut contains wax IIRC. It contains some sort of spirits so remove crap off paintwork. If I were to try T-Cut then Id go over the screen with alcohol to get any residue off.

But at least I know the ethyl alcohol works.

Spudly
24-11-08, 02:37 PM
T-cut contains course (deliberately mis-spelt coa-rse) grainy stuff to strip a thin layer of paint off to re-juvenate it, its not very course but you will probs scratch your screen if you use it so dont!

You want a razor blade from a motor factors for removing stickers and the like from glass, this used with say window cleaner will remove it no problems or turps/substitute should do the job!

ash anderson
24-11-08, 02:42 PM
thinners is good stuff removes paint from glass a treat

bmw156
24-11-08, 03:15 PM
Best way is take it back and get them to take it off! they put it there they can take it off

good theory i like it

Andy
24-11-08, 04:09 PM
Solvent cleaner or better still get the body shop to sort it

DW-Nova
24-11-08, 09:17 PM
as has already been said simply take the car back to the bodyshop, they should have made sure there was no overspray in the first place so it's 100 % their duty to get it off !!!

Benn
24-11-08, 09:34 PM
Use use a blade at a very low angle or wire wool (soft stuff not that stuff you use on dishes)