PDA

View Full Version : x25xe gearboxes

novadoneitthistime
23-11-08, 11:59 PM
Hi all. Just going to start fitting an x25xe to my gte this week. The engine currently has a F25 gearbox fitted. Dont really want to run a hydraulic clutch. How long do we think the f16 gearbox will last if I stick it on the end of the V6?

BIGS
24-11-08, 12:00 AM
id go for a f20 myself, seems the better one of the lot

novadoneitthistime
24-11-08, 12:11 AM
I know the F20 is what's most commonly used but just thought it'd be worth trying the F16 as it's already sat there. Plus i dont have the trouble of getting shafts for the bigger CVs. Not sure how long the little shafts will last though :-D
I'll probably run into problems with the flywheel and clutch. Seem to remember reading somewhere that most people swop this for a lighter one off the c20xe or something??

ck
24-11-08, 12:49 AM
erm an f16 is allready a big block gearbox...

best bet is going to use an early c20xe flat flywheel and clutch, and an f20 gearbox. your going to have to use big block shafts or GTE/GSi shafts with big block inner joints. usual 10mm spacer for the gearbox mount and a custom mount for the O/S chassis leg.

the rear exhaust manifold is where you will start to get headache's.....

whats your plans at the moment with the convertion?

General Baxter
24-11-08, 01:03 AM
i really would not use the F16, the engine would use so much fuel, i bet you would be pushing to get 15mpg out of it lol

novadoneitthistime
24-11-08, 01:38 AM
erm an f16 is allready a big block gearbox...

best bet is going to use an early c20xe flat flywheel and clutch, and an f20 gearbox. your going to have to use big block shafts or GTE/GSi shafts with big block inner joints. usual 10mm spacer for the gearbox mount and a custom mount for the O/S chassis leg.

the rear exhaust manifold is where you will start to get headache's.....

whats your plans at the moment with the convertion?
It's a GTE at the mo. Kept blowing up F13 boxes so swopped it for the F16. Swopped the GTE shafts into the big inner CVs before.

The os engine mount will be interesting. seen people cut it off the chassis leg and move it down a bit before (c25xe), but think I'll make a custom piece to bolt on the block.

I've heard exhaust manifolds are a pain on these. Any ideas what it fouls? Steering rack?

novadoneitthistime
24-11-08, 01:40 AM
i really would not use the F16, the engine would use so much fuel, i bet you would be pushing to get 15mpg out of it lol
Hahahahahahahaha!

Will make a lovely noise though!

Hahahahaha

Paul
24-11-08, 08:54 PM
It's a GTE at the mo. Kept blowing up F13 boxes so swopped it for the F16.

The F16 is a big block gearbox.

novadoneitthistime
24-11-08, 10:53 PM
The F16 is a big block gearbox.
Yeah, that's why I had to mess about with the driveshafts. Cant believe the little GTE would have enough power and torque to mince gearboxes, but after swopping two F13's, I figured it was worth the hassle of putting the big block gearbox on. I picked the F16 because it was still a Close Ratio box.