PDA

View Full Version : Lots of electrical gremlins

Lee H
23-11-08, 06:53 PM
Yesterday half of my digi dash went out so I thought it was just the halogen bulb. Took the clocks out and changed the bulb and refitted them and it still didn't work and smoke started pouring out of the clocks :confused:

So I then tried another dash I have spare and the digi part lit up with ignition on but had no ECU light or handbrake light at the bottom? However the indicator and main beam lights still work? Then the digi part went out and I haven't managed to get that part to come back on since.

Also then noticed my horn is no longer working or my drivers side electric wondow which has totally confused me. I can only think I have done some serious damage when it started smoking?

The no ECU light is wierd as the car still starts and runs but it runs badly and keeps missing?

Any ideas anyone, can only assume its an earth problem but where?

Adam
24-11-08, 03:35 PM
Hmmm, if horns stopped working, fuse must of gone somewhere, or a wire has melted.
Id start by checking the fusebox for blown fuses......

And then get the digidash out to see if you can spot any burnt wires, chances are its a the pcb on the clocks thats burnt.

AlexW
24-11-08, 04:11 PM
Sounds like more than one problem, sounds like a bad earth plus a burnt out wire? Do like adam said but check all the visable wires all over the dash/engine bay.

craig green
24-11-08, 05:06 PM
Good ole EARTHs is my suggestion. Since rebuilding my car I have had to replace quite a few fuses, I've never popped any in 10 years of driving, they just seem to be old, once replaced they havent popped again. Maybe worth replacing them all in one go.

Lee H
24-11-08, 08:17 PM
Fuses are all fine plus the stuff that isn't working are all on seperate fuses. Noticed as well that one of the lights isn't on on the electric window buttons and the other one flashes with the immobiliser light so definitely seems earth related. No burnt wires behind the dash, was just the dash that was smoking where the halogen bulb goes in.

Only ones I know are the one in the boot, light one in engine bay, engine earth, battery earth and alternator earth. These all seem fine as does the electric window earth. Its doing my head in now.

Adam
25-11-08, 04:53 PM
Theres earths up behind the dash too. Im not sure where the dashboard clocks earths though.

craig green
25-11-08, 05:11 PM
One of them is dead centre (behind dash) isnt it?

Is the g/box to chassis leg earth strap OK?
Mine looked it but wasnt conducting properly. It threw up all manner of dash lights even when keys were out/car locked & the car would not start or even bump start.

Lee H
26-11-08, 08:09 PM
Not sure Craig.

The gearbox earth strap is fine as I bought a brand new one for the very reason I didn't want electrical problems which is typical.