PDA

View Full Version : Paint

dikharvey
17-11-02, 09:55 PM
I need to spray somw panels for my car but i dont think that i'm going to get muc of a finish with aerosols, where car i possibly get the type of paint that goes in the spray guns and what type of gun do you recomend (i dont have a compressor). cheers.

ade
18-11-02, 01:26 PM
you CAN get good results from cans. i resprayed my entire car 3 years ago and it was really good. they key is the prep work, the weather (too cold now if diy job unless you heat the garage or do it indoors) and careful spraying.

Heat the cans up 1st in very warm (but not boiling) water for 2 mins, then shake - this will help make paint flow better and also increase pressure in the can.

Alow to flash dry (10 mins) between coats and gently flatt back between coats. Use a lacquer of exposed parts (byumpers, fronts etc) to stop stone chips.

If you use a spray gun, HSS to HVLP (Hi volume low pressure) gun for about ?120 a week inc turbine. the paint you should use is 2 pak for quick best results. You WILL need a fresh air respirator (HSS Safe and Sure for about ?90 a week) as 2 pak contains cyanacrylate (cyanide derivative - not nice) plus you will need etch primer and 2 pak primer is sanding to bare metal for best results.

Depending on the size of the job, paint will set you back anywhere between ?50 to ?150 - depends on colour and whether metallic etc.

If just doors, wings, I'd use cans.

Ade
:wink:

Jim
19-11-02, 09:46 AM
I've been doing some DIY jobs with spray cans. Providing you do all the necessary preperation work, theres no reason why you can't get a decent finish. Take your time and you should be able to get a really good result.

Jim