PDA

View Full Version : Should we be worried??

Fridge
21-11-08, 10:38 PM
Has ony one seen or heard anything about thiss before?

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/loss-of-the-sva-test.html

Bit worrying.

matt_vaughan
21-11-08, 10:44 PM
Heard they were going to cancel SVA, didnt think anything would affect us.

It seems most people who would ever want to register their cars as "new builds" on here would have the things beyond modern standards anyway.

I think thats what you're worrying about?? Am I right?

ade
21-11-08, 10:45 PM
nah - unless youre building a car from scratch - eg kit car then as far as I know you dont need to worry.

rebuilding your nova or modding it isnt the same as taking it for a VOSA test - thats usually when a cars been in an accident (cat c or d) or youve made a car and or modded it and the mods you make change the structure of the original car so much its not really the original car any more. EG the scrappy racers off scrap heap challenge.

Most "kit" cars will meet EU spec anyway - such as the caterham kits - all the major safety features (brakes etc) are all pre assembled in the factory so if you buy the kit form version all youre doing is bolting the body on...

Benn
21-11-08, 10:59 PM
Ade iirc if you change enought bits onthe car you can be classed in to needing a sva test, its on a points scale. you need like 7 out of 10 to have a normal mot..

I know a few cars on here that might fall in to that, as things like changing the rear beam (to a disc one) can be 1 point off, engine a point box with shafts a point and so on..

My dad looked in to it after i was talking about all the stuff i've changed on mine. Dont think i even get 5 points..lol

Fridge
21-11-08, 11:06 PM
If you go to another page on that site

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/thebirthoface.html

it says

"By checking the criteria for retaining the original registration you will see that the backbone of this is an original UNMODIFIED monocoque body or chassis. There is no publicly available criteria for what is considered to be ‘original’ but it is presumed that running repairs to structure, returning it to a safe roadworthy condition do not fall foul of this. However modifications such as alterations to the structure to encompass 4/5 link rear suspension, enlarging internal wheel arches (tubbing), and alterations to the engine bay / transmission tunnels to accommodate larger engines will fall foul. "

So if you.ve chopped the front chassis to fit a valver, tureted the back end, removed the spare wheel well to save weight, then it might all add up

white2lSR
21-11-08, 11:53 PM
up goes the value of 2L novas ETC. next year then!

loggyboy
21-11-08, 11:59 PM
Not worrying at all.

its just being replaced by the IVA, which depsite being a little sketchy there are plenty of guides covered in kit magazines etc. There are a few changes and additions but nothing that should worry the a competent DIY kit builder ;)

I still plan to build my kit next year.

Fridge
22-11-08, 12:04 AM
Bad ass.
I'v always wanted to build my own car, either a space frame or aluminium tub. So long as i can still do it (when i eventually learn all the extra bits i need to learn) then everything will be ok.:thumb:

Jack
22-11-08, 11:36 AM
Interesting, as I believe a lot of imports that don't have type approval (i.e. no equivalent EU model) need SVAs.

matt_vaughan
22-11-08, 06:05 PM
Interesting, as I believe a lot of imports that don't have type approval (i.e. no equivalent EU model) need SVAs.

RJ you're right. Especially if they're older cars imported (AE86s etc) iirc

Stuart
22-11-08, 06:11 PM
in 10 words or less!?!?!