PDA

View Full Version : I need to ask this internet question.......

mowgli
20-11-08, 06:49 PM
I know I am officially an old coffin dodger, & when I first got into computers, Lady Thatcher was winning a war in the Falklands, but please explain to me why a crap picture suddenly becomes hilarious just because someone puts FAIL, LOL or OWNED(pwned) next to it......

Also who decided cats are both funny & computer genuises, even though they can't spell correctly????????????????????????????????

Andy
20-11-08, 06:53 PM
Also further to that-couple of my own if you dont mind mowgli?
Why the fukk has lmao rofl suddenly become roflCOPTER??
What is pwned??

Sloth
20-11-08, 06:56 PM
accept it oldies lol
or ill get the ROLFMAOCOPTER and drop OMFG bombs on ya !

mowgli
20-11-08, 06:57 PM
pwned is some spelling mistake from a game several decades ago I believe..... it is from the same era 'as all your base are belong to us'

Cle
20-11-08, 06:58 PM
accept it oldies lol

What does ROLFMAOCOPTER acually mean ???

mowgli
20-11-08, 07:00 PM
accept it oldies lol

we actually want an answer, which is one of the reasons why the internet was invented, & not just so you can masturbate yourself ragged............

I understand the abbreviations I just want to know why some are meant to be funny, when they in fact are not.

mowgli
20-11-08, 07:02 PM
I am also going to add this:

lol

adding this to a sentence does not make the sentence any funnier.

Andy
20-11-08, 07:04 PM
I know the roflmao bit just how copter becomes attached to it is new to me.

bmw156
20-11-08, 07:04 PM
I know I am officially an old coffin dodger, & when I first got into computers, Lady Thatcher was winning a war in the Falklands, but please explain to me why a crap picture suddenly becomes hilarious just because someone puts FAIL, LOL or OWNED(pwned) next to it......

Also who decided cats are both funny & computer genuises, even though they can't spell correctly???????????????????????????????? a picture doesnt become funny because someone put those things next to it, it usually is generally funny, that abriviation just brings our attention to it and makes us laugh, dont you laugh.

and I decided that cats are funnylollollollollollollollollollollollollollol

~~joycey~~
20-11-08, 07:10 PM
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p111/marsy32/lolcano.gif

Andy
20-11-08, 07:13 PM
It gets worse

mowgli
20-11-08, 07:18 PM
it usually is generally funny, that abriviation just brings our attention to it and makes us laugh, dont you laugh.

I have been trying to find LOL pics for the thread & about 99% of the pictures are fairly crap, and tbh, I did not laugh out loud.... even most of the demotivateus pictures are not really funny.. pointing out that a 14year old girl in her underwear is jailbait, but worth a go, is not far off what Gary Glitter did, but he is a paedophile.....

and I decided that cats are funnylollollollollollollollollollollollollollol

the above comment did not help, as I now have a very low opinion of you

Leeboo
20-11-08, 08:02 PM

lol

As soon as I seen that smilie, your reply became funny! Sorry!

Also: I don't know why, but I find the cat pics funny. I think its because the funny language people include in the picture makes us imagine that cats are really intelligent (on another level than they already are).

I'm just after confusing myself so I'm going to shut up and shift to another lokayshun.

bmw156
20-11-08, 08:22 PM
the above comment did not help, as I now have a very low opinion of you

then you dont know me, and you dont get sarcasim as i was taking the piss, cheer up

mowgli
20-11-08, 08:30 PM
it is a sad indictment on modern life that a law abiding citizen asks a question from the general public, expecting an answer, and actually doesn't get a single response that expands their knowledge..........

or in english.

I asked for answers, not silly comments that aren't funny.............

& before I get the old sad git comments, I enjoy comedy, I always have, but my expectations of funny are fairly high

bmw156
20-11-08, 08:33 PM
each to their own

Andy
20-11-08, 09:05 PM
it is a sad indictment on modern life that a law abiding citizen asks a question from the general public, expecting an answer, and actually doesn't get a single response that expands their knowledge..........

or in english.

I asked for answers, not silly comments that aren't funny.............

& before I get the old sad git comments, I enjoy comedy, I always have, but my expectations of funny are fairly high I know what you mean,maybe the people that have replied dont know what copter means?
But the questions we asked still have not been answered yet,and to say everyone uses this language and these pics there is yet to be anyone come forward and answer:)
And in mowgli's defence about enjoying comedy imo he must be one of the funniest blokes ive never met

dhdev (Oli)
20-11-08, 09:27 PM
Roflcopter was started due to something like this AFAIK

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vAq8yefxBeg&NR=1

Andy
20-11-08, 09:30 PM
Thanks for that
So whats afaik?

Jack
20-11-08, 09:32 PM
As Far As I Know

bmw156
20-11-08, 09:32 PM
as far as i know
slow fail
when i joined i didnt know all these things so i just googled them

Andy
20-11-08, 09:40 PM
Excellent work

Nova_Tek
20-11-08, 09:49 PM
Wasnt there a thread that had all the meanings of net acronyms a little while ago?

Not all the LOL pics and cat pics are funny to me either but most of them do make me laugh. I think its just the fact that the generally comical image followed by the text and its mis spelling tends to add to the funnyness, some are clever and others are just silly while other add to the cuteness of the image. Think the mis-spelling of the cat ones has come from a old cartoon which featured a cat and mis-spelt words. (Was shown on a thread recently)

With the LOL pics I think its the frankness of the quotes and the fact that in some pics thats what some people would naturally think or know that some people would actually think whats been said. Blunt straight to the point stuff.

The rolfcopter thing I dunno whats up with that. All I can think of is that someone somewhere has added and extra ending onto the acronym and its just stuck. I've seen ones that have had a few more words added onto them. Probably just to emphasise somethings hilarity.

Those are my thoughts

mowgli
20-11-08, 09:58 PM
/\/\/\
it was me who made the link to the old krazy kat cartoon & the weird spellings..................and I did that in an attempt to find out if there was any link......

I always believe that the funniest word is the one not said, the one not said leaves it to the imagination to work it out, then make you feel good for doing so, then having a chuckle

Mike
20-11-08, 10:05 PM
I must still live in 1901 as I barley understand half this internd shizzle and have a fear of technology. Its only in the last 2 years Ive figured out how a microwave works (>thats not a joke either!)

Nova_Tek
20-11-08, 10:08 PM
Thought it might have been you lol

Its true some things are funny when nothing is said. But then again think of it this way (sorry for the rubbish example) Imagine you're at school in your class. Your teacher comes in and is wearing something that looks crap. You think to your self 'man that looks crap' and may have a giggle. Then someone comes out with it and says out loud 'miss that looks crap'.

Pretty sure most people will laugh.

Same sort of effect.

Then again some peple are THICK and therefore if it only posted up a pic of something and nothing was said pretty sure some of the muppets on the net woulnt understand anything.

Nova_Tek
20-11-08, 10:10 PM
Its only in the last 2 years Ive figured out how a microwave works (>thats not a joke either!)

Whats even more fascinating is how the microwaves dont actually get out of the oven itself even through the glass. :)

Mike
20-11-08, 10:10 PM
^ school = english = grammer = correct spelling does it not?

Mike
20-11-08, 10:11 PM
Whats even more fascinating is how the microwaves dont actually get out of the oven itelf even trhough the glass. :)

You never put your head next to a microwave in an attempt to get microwave radiation to your head?

Nova_Tek
20-11-08, 10:15 PM
^ school = english = grammer = correct spelling does it not?

Have I missed something?

You never put your head next to a microwave in an attempt to get microwave radiation to your head?

keh?

mowgli
20-11-08, 10:17 PM
I must still live in 1901 as I barley understand half this internd shizzle and have a fear of technology. Its only in the last 2 years Ive figured out how a microwave works (>thats not a joke either!)

yeah, but the rest of us actually managed to get it out of the car when we got home from the shops.......

(for the charlatans and other n'er do wells who failed to get to billing, mike still had the microwave in his car & had a genny too)

mowgli
20-11-08, 10:21 PM
Thought it might have been you lol

Its true some things are funny when nothing is said. But then again think of it this way (sorry for the rubbish example) Imagine you're at school in your class. Your teacher comes in and is wearing something that looks crap. You think to your self 'man that looks crap' and may have a giggle. Then someone comes out with it and says out loud 'miss that looks crap'.

Pretty sure most people will laugh.

Same sort of effect.

Then again some peple are THICK and therefore if it only posted up a pic of something and nothing was said pretty sure some of the muppets on the net woulnt understand anything.

when you first went to big school, I was getting married......

I went to big school in the early eighties... the female teachers were hippies, the men wore corduroy, and because of sodding Morrisey, all the girls wore great big overcoats I never got to see any t1ts until about 1986, when I got my first car.....

Sturge
20-11-08, 10:23 PM
They're 'funny' because kids these days are idiots that can't spell and are amused by simple things. The misspelling is probably because if it's not written in code they have to sound it out.

KSRY
20-11-08, 11:20 PM
I think the lol is like when American Comedies add laughter to sitcoms? I might be wrong, I'm not sure, as for the pictures, I don't think anyone will laugh at them all, as some IMO just weren't funny, I'm only 21 but even I feel 'kids' who are 4 years younger are a different generation

Lee
20-11-08, 11:38 PM
Just for the record, pwned is just a miss typed owned (p being dangerously close to o). People did it so much it seemed to stick. Much like typing 'teh' instead of 'the', its a very common typo getting the e and the h mixed up.

I myself have an awful smiley habit. Luckily, I couldn't care less if it annoys people lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

trackdaynova
20-11-08, 11:47 PM
a bit like !!!!!1111!!!one!!!!11

? no lol

Lee
20-11-08, 11:49 PM
a bit like !!!!!1111!!!one!!!!11

? no lol

That is otherwise known as an 'epic typo', or 'Arthritis' lol

Leeboo
20-11-08, 11:59 PM
What does 'alas' mean? Seen it used a few times before.

Lee
21-11-08, 12:01 AM
What does 'alas' mean? Seen it used a few times before.

Alas is a word, and not internet jargon, so you can look it up in a dictionary :)

Hobbit
21-11-08, 05:56 AM
Whats even more fascinating is how the microwaves dont actually get out of the oven itself even through the glass. :)

When they were first put into production the glass wasn't that great, chefs only knew something was up when their insides were being cooked.

Yummy :eek:

Lauren
21-11-08, 10:06 AM

lol

No, but it makes the post look prettier. lol

Jack
21-11-08, 10:13 AM
:wisewood:

Shaun_O'Donnell
21-11-08, 11:04 AM
How I convey smilies is to express the meaning of the post.

Typing can't show emotion, unlike actual speach, so by adding a smiley face, or sad face etc, it shows what emotion the typist was feeling at the time.

**edit.

example being:

Fcuk off you pr1ck lol = having a laugh/pi$$ take.
Fcuk off you pr1ck :mad: = telling you straight.

**edit again.

Not telling anyone to F-off by the way, purely for example purposes :thumb:

Dod
21-11-08, 11:22 AM
Mate, its the UK's youth of Today. I say, let it run, join after a few days/weeks when you realise how it all works, then join in. Thats my Diagnoses and it seems to work.

Lauren
21-11-08, 11:36 AM
How I convey smilies is to express the meaning of the post.

Typing can't show emotion, unlike actual speach, so by adding a smiley face, or sad face etc, it shows what emotion the typist was feeling at the time.

**edit.

example being:

Fcuk off you pr1ck lol = having a laugh/pi$$ take.
Fcuk off you pr1ck :mad: = telling you straight.

**edit again.

Not telling anyone to F-off by the way, purely for example purposes :thumb:

Shaun, shut up you numpty. lol

Mazz
21-11-08, 11:40 AM
The LOL thread is ace, most of the pics make me laugh - i think it all depends on your sense of humour, everyone is different...

www.failblog.org (http://www.failblog.org) cracks me up!

eg.

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/fail-owned-fitness-cake-walk-fitness-fail.jpg

Spudly
21-11-08, 02:43 PM
Agreed with shaun, excellent way of conveying the jist of it i reckonlol

And dod thats what i tend to do as i was confused by the use of the word "gen" gen to me = genuine as in Genuine GM parts...

Whereas it tends to mean anything from thread/conversation through to knowledge of something, it all depends on the contexts theyre all written in but most mean bugger all, ive joined in with the "roflmaonovagsi" type thing before so am guilty of using things like that purely to be a sheep lol

Riggy
21-11-08, 03:48 PM
i do think that some of the LOL pics are brilliant aswell as some of the cat ones,

some are are bit out of taste but meh ...

as for lol'ing all the time i do admint to being guilty of that lol