PDA

View Full Version : shell change

xe Dan
20-11-08, 08:05 AM
rite ive got two novs one is a really good shell on a k reg and i have a not so good j reg one i want to re shell the j reg one with out losein its identety and want to do it properly not cut and weld diffrent chassis numbers how do i go about this cheers

Spudly
20-11-08, 09:29 AM
This has come up before, use the search mate but iirc net result is no its not legal/possible just put it to K reg its still mk2

DaveyLC
20-11-08, 09:55 AM
If you cut out the chassis numbers and swap them over with the vin plates 'technically' the ID is transferred.. Have the rotten shell scrapped and keep quiet about it :) Not legal but to be honest most old novas will have had some welding in the floor pan.

Spudly
20-11-08, 10:12 AM
^^^Thats known as "ringing" and is also very illegal!

MyNovaSr
20-11-08, 11:28 AM
Why not get the front of one and the rear of the other and weld them together as your not bothered by "ringing". ;) ;) :roll: :roll: :wtf:

You'll get ass raped if you get caught, but you might enjoy that sort of thing ;)

Gemima
20-11-08, 11:40 AM
You can do it if you put so much precentage from one car onto the other you can keep its identity, dont ask how i dont have a clue i just no someone has done it with a 3i and a Rs Turbo.

Maybe DVLA.

Shaun_O'Donnell
20-11-08, 11:41 AM
^^ Something about that rings a bell with me too.

edens-xe
20-11-08, 12:56 PM
best to contact dvla and explain! its only a phone call and its quick, plus it will save you from getting bum-rammed!:thumb:

loggyboy
20-11-08, 01:14 PM
Legally it cant be done.

Its ok to keep the ID of the shell you want to keep/use. But you cant take the ID of the 'components' of a car, putting them in to a secondhand shell. You can only keep the registration that belong to those 'components' if you buy a brand new shell

Vehicles that have been rebuilt using a mix of new or used parts
In order to retain the original registration mark:

cars and car-derived vans must use:
The original unmodified chassis or unaltered bodyshell (i.e. body and chassis as one unit - monocoque); or a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original supported by evidence from the dealer or manufacturer (e.g. receipt).

And two other major components from the original vehicle - ie suspension (front & back); steering assembly; axles (both); transmission or engine.

If a second-hand chassis or monocoque bodyshell is used, the vehicle must pass a an enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA) or single vehicle approval (SVA) test after which a "Q" prefix registration number will be allocated.

L14MNP
20-11-08, 01:16 PM
Just 'ring' it. It's not like you're putting a death trap/stolen car/parts back on the roads is it, which is where ringing gets a bad name from.

loggyboy
20-11-08, 01:17 PM
You can do it if you put so much precentage from one car onto the other you can keep its identity, dont ask how i dont have a clue i just no someone has done it with a 3i and a Rs Turbo.

Maybe DVLA.

Its not percentages, its points.
That way of doing things is classed as a 'radically altered vehicle'

The registration of radically altered vehicles covers vehicles which are substantially altered from their original specification, but which are not kit conversions. In these cases the vehicle components used from the original vehicle will be given a numerical value in order to retain the original registration mark.

Allocating a vehicle registration mark
The vehicle must score eight or more points to retain the original registration mark. If less than eight points are scored or a second-hand or modified chassis or altered monocoque bodyshell is used, an enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA), single vehicle approval (SVA) or motorcycle single vehicle approval (MSVA) certificate will be required to register the vehicle. A 'Q' prefix registration number will be allocated.

Scoring components:
The following values will be allocated to the major components used:

chassis or body shell (body and chassis as one unit - monocoque ie direct replacement from the manufacturer) (original or new) = 5 points
suspension = 2 points
axles = 2 points
transmission = 2 points
steering assembly = 2 points
engine = 1 point

Where there is evidence that two vehicles have been welded together to form one (ie 'cut and shut') a 'Q' mark will be allocated. ESVA, SVA or MSVA will be required.

olienova1
20-11-08, 01:18 PM
i looked at this its not worth it! you have to have it tested and have engineers reports done just keep the original plate for the car:thumb:

loggyboy
20-11-08, 01:19 PM
i looked at this its not worth it! you have to have it tested and have engineers reports done just keep the original plate for the car:thumb:
No - see above

DaveyLC
20-11-08, 01:21 PM
^^^Thats known as "ringing" and is also very illegal!

No, really?

best to contact dvla and explain! its only a phone call and its quick, plus it will save you from getting bum-rammed!:thumb:

They will say no and if it would be very unwise to disclose the identity of the car(s) WHILE discussing this..

Just ring it, you're not hurting anybody as both shells are legit and its not going to cause any saftey issues; scrap the crappy shell and everything is hunky-dory :)

The laws are there to protect people from buying stolen vehicles and prevent cut-and-shutting..

loggyboy
20-11-08, 01:30 PM
Id agree with the ringing idea, but very careful, if insurance get wind of it if your involved in a hefty crash, then youl be f**ked. No insurance to cover you, prosectuition and cancelation of your policy would all be possible.

jord4n
20-11-08, 01:39 PM
Its not percentages, its points.
That way of doing things is classed as a 'radically altered vehicle'

The registration of radically altered vehicles covers vehicles which are substantially altered from their original specification, but which are not kit conversions. In these cases the vehicle components used from the original vehicle will be given a numerical value in order to retain the original registration mark.

Allocating a vehicle registration mark
The vehicle must score eight or more points to retain the original registration mark. If less than eight points are scored or a second-hand or modified chassis or altered monocoque bodyshell is used, an enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA), single vehicle approval (SVA) or motorcycle single vehicle approval (MSVA) certificate will be required to register the vehicle. A 'Q' prefix registration number will be allocated.

Scoring components:
The following values will be allocated to the major components used:

chassis or body shell (body and chassis as one unit - monocoque ie direct replacement from the manufacturer) (original or new) = 5 points
suspension = 2 points
axles = 2 points
transmission = 2 points
steering assembly = 2 points
engine = 1 point

Where there is evidence that two vehicles have been welded together to form one (ie 'cut and shut') a 'Q' mark will be allocated. ESVA, SVA or MSVA will be required.

so going from this/\

to re-shell a car, keep axles, gearbox, engine, steering assembly and suspention. so putting everything from a gsi onto a 1.2 shell you shoudl be able to keep the gsi number plate.

dj_wudgey
20-11-08, 02:31 PM
Just 'ring' it. It's not like you're putting a death trap/stolen car/parts back on the roads is it, which is where ringing gets a bad name from.

i would myself its not like they are going to check it out like matey!! when police get behind you they will just think its that car as there is no report off it being stolen and rung!!!

Riggy
20-11-08, 03:46 PM
so going from this/\

to re-shell a car, keep axles, gearbox, engine, steering assembly and suspention. so putting everything from a gsi onto a 1.2 shell you shoudl be able to keep the gsi number plate.

no because its not a new shell , its used so you get a q plate

Sloth
20-11-08, 03:50 PM
actually the dvla have stopped issuing q plates, and now give out an age related number. my mate builds kitcars and has been informed by the dvla, he does bike engined ones so he gets a number reffering to the bike because he uses the engine and box. two main parts, tis alll good= newer reg no than the sierra donor, used for the suspension

DaveyLC
20-11-08, 04:18 PM
As above! No more Q plates unless the chassis has a really dubious origin or it cant be age identified.

loggyboy
20-11-08, 04:41 PM
Id like to see the evidence of the above.

All information on Direct.gov and DVLA site states that Q plates are still being issued.

DaveyLC
20-11-08, 05:13 PM
If you can get enough points on the (DVLA's funky system) to prove the vehicles identity you can keep the plate, assuming you have an ID for the car in the first place.

What makes me laugh is there are zero issues if you re-shell with a brand new un-used shell, but if you want to use a shell with an existing ID you have to jump over hurdles.. So I really dont see the issue with 'being a bit naughty' and changing over the ID yourself, as long as both cars belong to you and you have the rejected shell and ID scrapped who really cares?

Spudly
20-11-08, 05:20 PM
But the major downside to all of this is that major insurance companies and the dvla do check car enthusiast/club sites and as this has now been publicly discussed on the largest nova site going then it would be a silly idea to "ring" it.

Why do you so desperately want to keep the identity of the J reg one though?

If its GSi or SRi you can reg it with dvla as such as a lass on a cav site i know of had an SRi hatch re classed as a GSI Turbo!

DaveyLC
20-11-08, 07:28 PM
You guys are even more paranoid than the scoobynet clan lol

Spudly
20-11-08, 10:19 PM
I dont think anyone is being paraniod tbh, its just you can get done soo easily for so much these days is it really worth risking it?

Its very easy for the authorities to find info/evidence on people or offences through the internet, i quote the case of the speeding VX220 owner who got banned after he bragged about it on the VX forum and the relevant cctv image was found and compared to what he had posted!

Plus the fact tha nova is always going to draw police attention due to being err.. well... a nova!