PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket Prices!!!

twistysnovagte
19-11-08, 12:50 PM
Ive just been out and about in the car as im now only doing three day a week at work,so i thought id nip to the local motorfactors and see how much its gonna cost me for a head gasket set,gets the book out etc well you get stem seals, rocker gasket,head gasket,inlet,outlet,sump gasket and oil seals as one pakage,i thought heres goes,"how much is that gonna set me back mate"he replies£34.95 i was like nice one,but before i purchase i want to know how much "lookers vauxhall"sells them at.
so off i travels, arives goes through the big posh door in the showroom,please sit down there and someonje wil be right with you,(im thinking ffs im only hear for a price check)anyway some guy comes out in a suit and all that,sit down "sir" he says,by this time im thinking, has the women at reception told him im hear to look around maybe purchase a vehicle,
what can i do for you,he says.well im hear to see if you can get the parts i need for my car,cars reg he asked for.oh a 89 gte in red have you got,yes i replies.what is it you need.well im after the full headgasket kit for my car,goes through computer yes we have two, whoohoo im thinking,what you get is the headgasket, inlet gasket,outlet.:wtf: so i tells him well im after the stem seals,rocker covergasket aswell,he finds them,he has them in stock nice one once again,how much is it going to set me back for the lot including 5ltr gm oil gets his calculator out,that'll be £127.85:eek: ,thanks mate out i walks to the car and drives off considerably:confused: is this right or is thee summat wrong?and would it be any different to use the gasket kit from the autofactors???
andy

DaveyLC
19-11-08, 12:58 PM
I find that using my trade discount vauxhall is cheaper for 90% of stuff. I even get consumables (coolant, oil etc.) from vauxhall because they are cheaper.

Pistol Pete
19-11-08, 01:04 PM
Get it from a motorfactors. Its probably the same stuff as the dealer sells lol

Unless its car specific parts that halfords/motorfactors wont stock, i go to a motorfactors every time!

brainsnova
19-11-08, 01:15 PM
a gasket is a gasket and all you pay extra for is the gm hologram on the packets.

stevenf
19-11-08, 01:16 PM
i have always used the local motor factors for my headgaskets and they have been fine. :thumb:

tom_beverley
19-11-08, 02:29 PM
Go to the motorfactors and get a Payen one, much better quality than the OEM stuff, not that there is much wrong with it in the first place.

dj_wudgey
19-11-08, 02:42 PM
yea i allways use motorfactors for stuff like that only once have i had a problem with it one water way would not line up. all the rest have been fine!!!

twistysnovagte
24-11-08, 01:52 PM
so do you guys recon that this one(not this particular one but the e16se type gasket set from the same seller.)is just as good as the "GM" type gaskit sets?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310082128685

also nearly £97 cheaper than "GM"sets!:D

ps, should be in "mechanical" as ive now got totaly confused on which to buy and questions are being asked.

MyNovaSr
24-11-08, 02:22 PM
I'd go for the £14.99 set on ebay :)

Jack
24-11-08, 03:25 PM
You're surprised that dealer parts are more expensive than a motorfactor? :wtf: lol

I did like how instead of just saying "motor factors said £34 for this, whilst dealer said £127 for that, is that right?" you gave us a long dit about the whole thing. Top marks :thumb:

twistysnovagte
24-11-08, 05:12 PM
You're surprised that dealer parts are more expensive than a motorfactor? :wtf: lol

I did like how instead of just saying "motor factors said £34 for this, whilst dealer said £127 for that, is that right?" you gave us a long dit about the whole thing. Top marks :thumb: I had an idea the gm parts(inc 5litre gm oil) would be more expensive than a motorfactors,but not so much of a difference:eek:,the figures are right jack, as the dealer even printed me a sheet off with the part numbers,prices etc.as for the long story well i was bored, off work for two days of the week now unfortunatly,so told it how it waslol :thumb: