PDA

View Full Version : Anyone swapped the logbook on their xe nova back to original engine? How much hassle?

John
18-11-08, 09:14 PM
As per title, anyone ever declared their nova as 2.0, and then at a later date swapped it back to original? ie 1.2/1.3/1.4/1.6 etc etc. And then swapping the logbook back?
Going by the hassle i had swapping it in the first place, i'm reckoning on it being a complete mare (useless dvla mo fo's!)
Anyone?

Ste L
18-11-08, 09:16 PM
how come your swapping, whats the plan's now?

Adam
18-11-08, 09:16 PM
They will want an engineers report/writeup when decreasing engine cc.
If its same sort of thing i had to do when increasing the cc though, just get a written letter from vauxhall or somewhere...

krobinson
18-11-08, 09:17 PM
I was lucky enough to escape all of this, and after some words they taxed mine as 2000cc without any reports etc.

Keith

muzzy
18-11-08, 09:18 PM
When i was working for a garage we had someone come in to get a mechanical report done because they were changing the engine in their Corsa from a 2.0 16v back to a 1.6 16v. They said the DVLA told them they needed it :confused:

John
18-11-08, 09:19 PM
how come your swapping, whats the plan's now?

Just toying with the idea atm, will all depend on how much trouble it is!

Keith you are a lucky git not having to deal with the uselss twunts at the dvla!

Nick J
18-11-08, 09:28 PM
Ive never actually done it that way round John... But I know someone who has and heard it was a nightmare! I think they immediately think your trying to scam then when it comes to the tax etc. Stay big block you know it makes sense! :)

Adam
18-11-08, 09:30 PM
They thought i was trying to scam them when going up a tax class lol lol lol

Ste L
18-11-08, 09:31 PM
Just toying with the idea atm, will all depend on how much trouble it is!

Keith you are a lucky git not having to deal with the uselss twunts at the dvla!

whats the idea?

small block 1.8?

or 1.3 sport engine?

Leeboo
18-11-08, 09:38 PM
I remember John H beating the chassis leg for alternator clearance instead of boxing it, incase he changed back to 1.2 :thumb: .

I heard that an engineers report etc is needed if you are decreasing CC's, as they might think that you are trying to tax a 2.0 as a 1.2 if you understand.

Sloth
18-11-08, 09:48 PM
they want pics and a report plus a letter from the main dealer, and in some cases a vic check.

John
18-11-08, 09:52 PM
they want pics and a report plus a letter from the main dealer, and in some cases a vic check.

They had all that last time (apart from a vic check, though they were for cat c/d damaged cars anyway?) And they still managed to fook up my logbook.

John
18-11-08, 10:01 PM
Ive never actually done it that way round John... But I know someone who has and heard it was a nightmare! I think they immediately think your trying to scam then when it comes to the tax etc. Stay big block you know it makes sense! :)

Lol nick i know! You'd think that the dvla would swap it back easily, after all they know you were honest enough to change it up a tax band in the first place!
(whats the white nova in your pic btw nick, your car in it's old guise?

Sloth
18-11-08, 10:03 PM
they can ask for a vic on anything they think is a bit suss. my mate did his xe, took months just to go back to a gsi lump

John
18-11-08, 10:08 PM
they can ask for a vic on anything they think is a bit suss. my mate did his xe, took months just to go back to a gsi lump

Why would it be suspect? It's a clean, not recorded, now classic car, that i've declared in the first place. They accepted the engineers report going to an xe, so can't see why they wouldn't going down from an xe.

Sloth
18-11-08, 10:21 PM
Why would it be suspect? It's a clean, not recorded, now classic car, that i've declared in the first place. They accepted the engineers report going to an xe, so can't see why they wouldn't going down from an xe. answer= its the dvla, they are a law unto themselves.

Ben
18-11-08, 11:30 PM
The Dvla might ask to examine the car but they wont ask for a VIC check they were solely introduced to stop people ringing cat c damaged cars.

Sloth
19-11-08, 12:33 AM
rules have been opened up mate. my bosses cobra had one aswell as an sva

ReeceH
19-11-08, 01:40 AM
what do you need when declaring like a 1.6 as an xe?

Sloth
19-11-08, 01:46 AM
dvla can ask for a engineers report, vic or just do it for ya. depends what day it is, month etc, lol

Ben
19-11-08, 10:04 AM
It will not need a vic, someone at the dvla who didnt know what they were doing might have said you do but all they do on a vic check is check date stamps on random parts and chassis engine numbers etc, nothing to do with cc size or modifications.

An insurance company puts the vic marker next to a car by registering it as a CAT C not the DVLA.

novarally
19-11-08, 10:48 AM
I changed the engine in my Nova rally car from an XE to a 1.4 16v, and DVLA just asked me to provide a letter from a garage (on headed paper) to confirm the swap.

white2lSR
25-11-08, 12:51 PM
You have PM