PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 8v into 1.2 nova (carbed)

Joker
18-11-08, 09:03 PM
A friend of mine is in the process of purchasing a 2.0 8v astra gte shell with running engine and use the rest as a donor car, I've been reading up on the pro's and con's of the conversion and my only concern is the fuel lines, Being a carb engine (1.2) I don't think it has the suffecient fuel tank but i've never changed a fuel tank and I don't think the astra gte one would fit? Has anyone got around this or have any good ideas or major issues that should be mentioned.

I'm just after a shed of light really and some ideas on how to do it, Is it alot of work to get the fuel tank and stuff in? I'm no good with a welder by the way but I could get some help from a friend who does it if need be, so any help would be appreciated.

Joker

mowgli
18-11-08, 09:07 PM
the nova gte tank will fit without any body mods.. the 2.0 8v is pretty much a bigger version of the 1.6gte, so everything fits easily. use the search for xe conversions, the mods are the same to fit the 8v. the fuel lines can be made from copper pipe from a plumbers merchant or diy store..

Joker
18-11-08, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't have a clue where to start for pipes? I've never fitted anything like that, Surely the fuel tank from the gte is welded in place? I could be wrong like, but how much could I use from the astra donor car? I've never been near a nova before its my mates like, I have 2 mk2 astra's and a cally redtop so i'm abit new to it all...... any help appreciated, I've looked through some of the guides but its mostly the fuel bit i'm unsure about really i'm sh*te with pipes and stuff....

Cheeers

Joker

mowgli
18-11-08, 09:26 PM
why would anyone weld a fuel tank into a car?????????????????????????, it is held in with 2 straps & 2 bolts just like a mk2 astra.

basically you need to modify mounts & linkages driveshafts etc.

the fuel pipes are so easy to do, it comes in a roll & you unroll it & bend it to shape to replace the plastic pipes.

Sloth
18-11-08, 10:56 PM
noob questions, but were here to help!

MyNovaSr
19-11-08, 09:17 AM
If your not mechanical then don't swap an engine or pay someone who knows what they are doing to do it.

Otherwise you will drivedown the road and it will fall out and people will laugh.

Joker
19-11-08, 06:54 PM
yeah thanks for the comments, I'm not a mechanic but i'm not an idiot either, I just wanted some ideas from the people who have done it, Not to be told things i already no....

I'ts not even my car its my mates but i'll be helping, You don't have to be a mechanic to fit an engine, It's not just going to fall out is it your just assuming i'm a dumb ass who doesn't no how to do a bolt up!! but thanks for the useful post

Instead of bending pipes and stuff, maybe just getting some fuel lines from a nova gte would be an idea? we're planning on using nearly all the front end of the astra, hubs, driveshafts ect ect.

What other major issues would we expect to come across.....

Cheers
Joker

Clean 2.0 nova
19-11-08, 07:01 PM
we're planning on using nearly all the front end of the astra, hubs, driveshafts ect ect.

It's going to be one of them wide track front end nova jobbies then, let me know when its done - I want to see this. :wtf:

I'd start by reading some conversion guides to answer a lot of these silly questions, that way the questions you do ask will have some credibility.

Theres a good guide on topbuzz as well as the how-to's on here.