PDA

View Full Version : 1.2merit to 1.4 sr? help?

juninh0
18-11-08, 07:33 PM
i have a 1.2 merit mk1 (carb) which is now fitted with a 1.4 sr (carb). i got a friend to put it in, but cant get it running. i've taken it to a garage and they seem to think i need an ECU as theres a crank sensor? i have changed the coil so it has the proper one for the SR. do i need to change the loom or anything else? i didn't get any wiring with my SR engine. Someone help i want my baby on the road! cheers

mowgli
18-11-08, 07:37 PM
everything electrical off the 1.2 engine will fit.. work with the haynes manual to sort out the wiring. most garages are not very good with wiring, so they fob you off. the carb engines do not have a crank sensor

whereabouts are you? maybe someone on here is local to you

juninh0
18-11-08, 07:38 PM
I'm in Torquay, Devon. Can anyone save the day?

bmw156
18-11-08, 08:00 PM
let me know how you get onas i would be interested to do this swap.
how much did you pay for the engine?
and anyone what would be the performance difference

MC
18-11-08, 08:15 PM
The SR engine does not have a crank sensor.

Are you using the distributor that came with the SR engine? The 1.2 item is different, possibly 180deg out. I think the SR does have some sort of device in the loom to control the coil?

MC

juninh0
19-11-08, 06:25 AM
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the SR? I can't find anyone down my end tht knows how to do it, even from the haynes manual. do i need the sr loom? im guessing i was right to change the coil? as the coil i got goes with the engine code and is for the SR. anyone in the south west on here that fancies a wiring job? helllllllllllllp!

AlexW
19-11-08, 09:49 AM
Ive done this conversion myself, You need to use the 1.4 Ign module (That a 1.2 will not have) and coil, dizzy setup.

The dizzy does have a connection on the side that connects to the ign module under the coil with a small harness that connects the the oringal 1.2 coil wiring (provided its not a square plug but a 3pin smaller one) I cant remember excatly but if you havent got the Ign module or the small loom for the dizzy/coil setup thats your problem.

Clean 2.0 nova
19-11-08, 06:55 PM
I've just had a quick look at the haynes and both 'AW06 and 'mowgli' are right I suppose barring one fact. There were two types of 1.2, one fitted with the same electical wiring as the 1.4, and one not.

On the sensor issue you only need a cam sensor if you don't have a distributor, as the electonics need to know if the engine is in the 'suck' or 'bang' phase. I assume the crank sensor could be to get a more accurate reading of TDC. - My understanding anyway.

Iain

davis88sr
19-11-08, 11:59 PM
If u stil need help bud let us know the dizzy can b very tempermental culd even b the rotorarm. If it stil dnt work pm me nd il give u my num as just finished overhaul on my 1.4 Sr nd may b gud 2 pop down nd get it goin 4 ya if ya want