PDA

View Full Version : GSI sideskirts

wilson_sri
17-11-08, 07:57 PM
The back quarters of my gsi sideskirts keep coming off the car where the sticky bit is at the top.

Would it be safe to use some kind of silicone on it to hold it down tightly, without damaging my paint whenever they need to come off again?

muzzy
17-11-08, 07:59 PM
The only time ive ever stuck them on without the clips i used Tiger Seal and it came off without any problems, i used Tar Remover and it didnt affect the paint

brainsnova
17-11-08, 08:01 PM
i used silicone but unless you stand there all night holding them tight it wont stay in tight. also the silicone will come of the paintwork if you ever need to take them off.

wilson_sri
17-11-08, 08:03 PM
The only time ive ever stuck them on without the clips i used Tiger Seal and it came off without any problems, i used Tar Remover and it didnt affect the paint
I still have the clips, its just at the top of the rear quarter bits that come off. Where the sticky pad is.

muzzy
17-11-08, 08:16 PM
Is it not possible to get a hold of the same sort of sticky pad that was originally used, unless it is a new one and just wont hold them?

Your best bet is maybe to try and get a hold of the same sort of stuff that the stick bump strips and plastic badges on with.

vaughanmc
17-11-08, 08:17 PM
Used some Tigerseal on mine as well and its held out no problem

Not had to take it off to see what its done to the paint - Should be OK though

wilson_sri
17-11-08, 08:20 PM
Is it not possible to get a hold of the same sort of sticky pad that was originally used, unless it is a new one and just wont hold them?

Your best bet is maybe to try and get a hold of the same sort of stuff that the stick bump strips and plastic badges on with.
There new sideskirts, been like that since i put them on.

Im sure Keith put his on without clips, will need to ask him.

Adam
17-11-08, 08:27 PM
Do you have the bolt/rivets in the arch lips?

kc_08
17-11-08, 08:36 PM
mine are all bolted on from underneath but i think i need to use some better stuff to stick them down, i used that sticky thin foam pads (double sided), but they kept comming unstuck, so i need to use somthing stronger, so this thread has helped me abit :P

muzzy
17-11-08, 08:39 PM
one of my old gsi's had the skirts fitted with wood screws (not by me by the way!)

I probably wouldnt recommend that method

wilson_sri
17-11-08, 08:58 PM
Do you have the bolt/rivets in the arch lips?
No, the standard ones i got with the skirts wouldnt stay in :confused: So cabletied them for a quick fix lol
Going to sort out something to replace them.

Adam
17-11-08, 09:05 PM
I drilled a hole through the arch lip, and used a large head bolt, with a nut on the other side, worked fine. The top bit of my skirts aren't bonded on or anything.

Riggy
17-11-08, 09:16 PM
yeah i never used the sticky pads on my skirts , but i did use the 2 expanding rivits on each arch lip :thumb: