PDA

View Full Version : Running problems

Copers
17-11-08, 06:03 PM
my mates sr isnt idleing, and cuts out when changing gear, last few days its been idleing at about 2k, any ideas if its air leak, choke stickin or lack of compression?
Cheers

AlexW
17-11-08, 06:49 PM
Idle control valve? (Im presuming Sri's have one)

EDIT: I re-read it. What type carb is it? If its a auto choke make sure it works, or adjust and or check the idle screw.

Copers
17-11-08, 07:18 PM
its the 1.3 sr buddy, and its the manual choke carb, thing is it was idling 2grand yesterday now it wont idle at all, i reckon its funked tbh

General Baxter
17-11-08, 07:20 PM
auto choke is bolloxed, lol

Copers
17-11-08, 07:28 PM
its got the manual choke

Dan_Coombs
18-11-08, 10:56 AM
Its my car, i'm in bridgwater this week at college. It's been ok since yesterday morning, i let it warm up like normal(with the choke out), but every time you put the clutch down it will cut out unless you bring it up fast.
Basically, i drove from plymouth to bridgwater in it, was fine on the motorway, only when i come off of it thats when it's awkward. Got to leave the choke all the way out to to drive it through town. Else it cuts out every few hundread feet cause of the constant changing gear.

The head gasket is gone on it, which i'm doing when i get home - but i just seem to think there may be a breather pipe off somewhere. I shall have a look tonight at it any suggestions would be great!

S1M0N
18-11-08, 01:46 PM
Im at bridgwater college today . . lol Havent seen it in the car park though!

AlexW
18-11-08, 02:35 PM
You ask about a idle problem, yet the head gasket has gone? lol It will be the head gasket causing the problem....

MyNovaSr
18-11-08, 04:27 PM
I had that problem once, i'm no mechanic but a pipe was off the bottom of the carb, when I put that back on it ran fine.

Take a look.

Dan_Coombs
19-11-08, 09:11 AM
Head gaskets been gone for about 3 weeks...only been having idling problems since monday. The pipe from the airbox to the back of the carb has snapped but i was told it wouldn't make that much of a difference... I'm doing the gasket when i get home anyway.

AlexW
19-11-08, 09:40 AM
That pipe is just a breather, wont make a differance. If the head gasket has been gone for 3weeks do you not expect it to get worse?

If its letting anything into the bores then it would be the cause of the problem, but you cant tell if anything else is wrong due to the head gasket, when youve got the head gasket changed bump this thread if you still have a problem.