PDA

View Full Version : Help! Driveshafts Turn Oppsite Way On F20 Gearbox!

Mboasty
17-11-08, 04:56 PM
hi,
just in the process of changing my gearbox over, i have installed new inner cv joints, but have noticed that for some reason, that if you turn one driveshaft one way, the other one turns in the oppsite direction! no thats not right!
my only theory is that maybe the cv joints are handed, & ive got them the wrong way arround, or i have 2 lefts or 2 rights?
anyone have any ideas whats wrong?

cheers

matt

Adam
17-11-08, 04:57 PM
Its an invention called a differential :)

Lol

(i.e. thats how a std diff works)

Lee
17-11-08, 04:57 PM
Its perfectly normal :)

skidmarkz
17-11-08, 05:31 PM
i just fell off my chair

Mboasty
17-11-08, 05:33 PM
the car is jamed though & its not in gear i had to force it in the garage at 10.30 lastnight! the engine is twisting as i pushed it

skidmarkz
17-11-08, 05:36 PM
if the engine is trying to turn over "twisting" then it is in gear,

what geabox have you just changed over to? and have you setup the gear linkage properly ??

Mboasty
17-11-08, 05:41 PM
trust me its not in gear ive conected up the gear linkage & put it in gear! then back to neutral its jamed m8!
ive swaped over an f20 to f20 on a 20xe

skidmarkz
17-11-08, 05:44 PM
its quiet simple dude, if the engine tuns over when both wheels are moving together forwards or backwards, your gearbox is in gear! no other explantion. how did you setup the gear linkage? on the new F20?

Lee
17-11-08, 05:46 PM
It will be one of these.

1. Gearbox is completely seized. But you're not stupid enough to not check its nice and free before fitting are you?

2. Its in gear. Most likely. You may think you have put it in gear and taken it out, but you may have taken it out and put it back in.

3. you left the handbrake on

I assure you there is no other explanation :)

Mboasty
17-11-08, 06:04 PM
surley i wouldent be able to push the car & move it with it in gear tho?
I set the linkage up by removing the plug, put a 4.5mm drillbit in hole on selctor thisted linkage till drill bit went in fully, moved gear stick over to 1st second gear chanel, tightend pinchbolt removed drill bit.

Lee
17-11-08, 06:07 PM
surley i wouldent be able to push the car & move it with it in gear tho?
Depends what gear. First, probably not, but if it was in fifth, you could move it pretty easily imo.

If you sure its in neutral, you might have fitted a lemon matey.

Mboasty
17-11-08, 06:09 PM
i got gearbox off colinsmith, so i would hope to be a reliable source.

Lee
17-11-08, 06:13 PM
Agreed, you have definately set up the linkage wrong IMO.

skidmarkz
17-11-08, 06:57 PM
Agreed, you have definately set up the linkage wrong IMO.

agreed, colin would say if it was busted,

Edit,
does the car roll freely with your foot on the clutch ??

Mboasty
17-11-08, 07:53 PM
agreed, colin would say if it was busted,

Edit,
does the car roll freely with your foot on the clutch ??

good point i havent tryed that but could be a posibilaty, as i have changed flywheel.

skidmarkz
19-11-08, 07:47 PM
did you solve this isssue? what was it ?

Mboasty
20-11-08, 12:04 AM
no not yet unfortinaly, i wont get chance until the weekend, as my car is at my dad's. i will keep posted

dan23
20-11-08, 12:30 PM
i didnt set up my linkage right an when you take it out of gear it some times stays kinda half in until you move the gear stick further then you should
although when it does this you can tell as the car can still be pushed only it doesnt move freely

example reverse to neutral still in then push it a little bit more as if going for second but stopping before it gets to second it will come out of gear
i suspect you need to setup your linkage again
or maybethere is a problem with your clutch

Mboasty
20-11-08, 11:16 PM
clutch, you mean it could be seized or somthing?

i put the gearbox/ clutch togeather out of the car as follows:

losley bolted clutch onto flywheel
bolted gearbox to engine to align clutch
then turned engine to torq up the six bolts through the acess cover

would this be ok?

marc08
23-11-08, 05:02 PM
jack 1 wheel up and put it in were u think is neutral and if wheel dont turn then its in gear,chances are uve not adjusted the linkage correctly u can loc the box with the drill bit but were is ur gear lever when u done it?

marc08
23-11-08, 05:04 PM
when u fitted the clutch did u put the flatside to the flywheel?

Adam
23-11-08, 05:04 PM
For setting the linkage i just put the box in neutral, then get someone hold the stick dead in neutral, and then tighten the clamp bolt. Never fails me. I dont bother with all this drill bit shizzle

Even did it on the hard shoulder of the m5 a while back when the clamp sleeve slipped lol

Mboasty
23-11-08, 11:24 PM
solved it!

i had'nt put the torsion damper back on in the right place on the driveshaft, so it was catching on the oil filter housing! lol!

it was a late one!

got a new problem now though, car wont start!

got dash lights, turn the key nothing, i think it might be my imobliser, im gonna give my alarm man a call tommrow.

if not what would/wouldent happen if the starter was jamed?

AlexW
23-11-08, 11:26 PM
If the starter was stuck it would just click iirc. Too add it could be it could be a bad earth.

t45_ste
23-11-08, 11:28 PM
Check your earths:) You put the box earth back on?

Dar
24-11-08, 08:23 PM
Make sure the battery is charged.

S1 RST
24-11-08, 10:06 PM
gearbox earth strap

Bubba
25-11-08, 10:01 PM
gearbox earth strap

i had that, if not just put a new earth strap from the battery to the block

novadoneitthistime
26-11-08, 06:00 PM
Gearbox earthstrap. If starter was jammed, you'd hear it click, and it'd dim your dash and interior lights when you crank it.