PDA

View Full Version : Kent Cam in a C14SE... questions?

MattyCorsaSRI
17-11-08, 02:03 PM
Hi,

Ck and myself recently fitted a Kent NVO62 Cam to my Corsa SRI C14SE engine. Its a Kent "Sports Injection" camshaft and Kent say it will run fine with the standard injection, no further mods required, and should give an estimated 10bhp increase.

We've just done a Head Gasket change, had the head skimmed, and then installed the cam, using standard hydraulic lifters, standard (but new) followers, and all standard injection etc.

The cam is running fine, car runs no issues, idle's fine (99% of the time lol), idle is lumpy though compared to standard.

Now, my questions are;
It doesnt really feel any quicker at all, if anything it feels a tiny bit slower!! :confused: People have been telling me to get an FSE Power Boost Valve fitted and up the fuel pressure. Also been told to get a Vernier Pulley and "dial" the cam in.

Are these things going to make the world of difference and give me the power i should have from running the cam??

Advice muchly appreciated :D

Thanks

Matt

Stuart
17-11-08, 02:49 PM
DO NOT fit an FSE.... they are F**king S**t Equiptment. Get a Ford Cossie Weber AFPR (from the likes of Burton).

odds on the vernier pulley ont do much at all to the timing of the cam due to the way the cam will have been ground.

Is the rest of the engine in good nick, and is the IGN system well serviced

garyc
17-11-08, 03:40 PM
How much have you skimmed the head? If it is a fair bit it could be running advanced or retarded depending where you put the belt. Is the ignition timing correct?

S1M0N
17-11-08, 03:55 PM
Yea, check the ignition timing mate, ive sorta got the same problem on my gsi, it is quicker but i always imagined it to be quicker and make a more noticable difference.

MattyCorsaSRI
17-11-08, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the very quick replies :D

I've got an FSE lying around somewhere at home as when the engine was first fitted, i didnt get the FPR with it :wtf: So got an FSE cheap 2nd hand as a make do lol I thought it was crap when it was on ititially though haha.

Well, the engine is a fully re-conditioned/new engine, its done around 70,000 miles. So yea the block is in good condition, and the engine was running nicely before we did the work anyway. Its still running nicely, just doesnt seemed to have gained at all :roll:

I have no idea how much the head was skimmed unfortunately :( I might be able to find out though.

If the cam needed to be advanced/retarted, wouldnt it be running noticably crap?!

Rich
17-11-08, 07:47 PM
it will feel sluggish low down, should pick up in higher revs, thats what they are designed for. I found on my old sri it used to idle quite lumpy, and would cut out if i was slowing for traffic lights with the clutch down, but higher revs were great fun

MattyCorsaSRI
17-11-08, 08:23 PM
Interesting, as to me it seems to take a lot longer to rev up, especially when in the 4krpm+ region. Im assuming thats not right, and why it doesnt seemed to of gained?? lol

Standard cam rev'd up lovely after 4krpm in comparison.

Does it sound like it could be a tooth out maybe?! Altho like i said it does run smoothly/nothing seems at all wrong. Or needs more fueling possibly?

garyc
17-11-08, 09:57 PM
check the ignition timing too as thats a 5 minute check.

MattyCorsaSRI
17-11-08, 10:24 PM
Its Coil Pack

ck
17-11-08, 10:30 PM
not sure on how much we had the head skimmed :|

ignition timing is non adjustable as its the later c14se it has a coilpack and is set via ecu.

matt did you try the octane plug the other way around see if it made any difference and did u fit the correct IAT sensor?

stafford
17-11-08, 11:52 PM
timing of the spark would be fine with the cranck sensor on the crank not on the cam. i say fse is the way forward, i just put 1 on my sri it run crap with just a ported head to much air so in theory get an fse turn up the fuel pressure to get the petrol to air mixture right again

Stuart
18-11-08, 12:17 AM
yes an AFPR is good, but NOT AN FSE!!!!!

MattyCorsaSRI
18-11-08, 08:45 AM
Why is the FSE bad?? Is it worse than a normal AFPR for a reason? Or is it just because they are stupid money?! As like i said... ive got one at home lying around somewhere anyway haha

Stuart
18-11-08, 09:03 AM
they work to begin with, then drift out of tune when you arent monitoring them etc.... generally crappy quality.

as said a Ford cossie Weber AFPR is a good one adn about the same price as an FSE

ck
18-11-08, 11:09 AM
many many people run FSE's on N/A engines and have never had a problem.

considering matt has one there is no point spending money on a different one, worth a go tbh