PDA

View Full Version : Lowering,

Novaboi_1991
16-11-08, 11:21 PM
hey all, i put this in the muppet corner because only a muppit wouldnt know this,

to lower a nova, do you need new coilovers or can you just fit lowering springs to the origional shocks?

thanks

Sloth
16-11-08, 11:38 PM
lowering springs and std shocks if you tight/ after a sh1t ride. apex or spax full kit ftw mate

Spudly
16-11-08, 11:40 PM
If i reply am i a muppet??????

BTW, as above... G-Max are a good budget

You can swap the OE springs for lowered ones, but it will bump steer and bounce all over and will not corner properly on undulating country road corners so save a few squid more and buy a kit that includes dampers (no it does not have to be coilovers)

NovaLad
16-11-08, 11:40 PM
I've been running on GMAX lowering springs and standard shocks for a year and TBH they are uncomfortable but do the job, looks wise.

I am going to upgrade very soon though lol.

brainsnova
16-11-08, 11:45 PM
you can run on standard shocks but the front springs will be loose if you drop 60mm.

Danio_MarshyMan
17-11-08, 12:04 AM
well on mine i have jus got lowering springs...

the rest have to do there job lol

Jack
17-11-08, 11:52 AM
Just hacksaw the springs in half and remove the rear dampers, job done

Steve
17-11-08, 12:08 PM
Ride em' cowboy! lol
http://www.sos.mo.gov/wolfner/bibliographies/images/cowboy.gif

Novaboi_1991
21-11-08, 08:54 PM

i hope your jokin lol, i still need to pass a MOT with it, lol

muzzy
21-11-08, 08:58 PM
Lowering springs with standard shocks is so uncomfortable, every bump feels like hitting a ditch (although with the state of the roads it possibly is).

Definetly try and invest in shocks & springs :thumb:

therealnovaboy
21-11-08, 09:01 PM
shocks, springs and spring compressors

Novaboi_1991
22-11-08, 01:31 AM
any of you know of a company doing a full setup for lowering ?

Jenks
22-11-08, 01:52 AM
As said before, G-max, spot on if you'r on a budget. Thats what I am runing at the moment. Try G-max in ebay, should be a set on there going for a decent price.

Aaron :thumb:

edit: heres a link for a set on ebay, it says 'Corsa B' but they will fit all the same http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-CORSA-B-LOWERED-G-MAX-FULL-SUSPENSION-KIT_W0QQitemZ160130080149QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item160130080149&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

Nova_Tek
22-11-08, 10:57 AM
Does depend on what you are after; ride quality, just looks, just handling or a mixture of the three.

Like what other people have said if you on a very tight budget then just springs. Anything upto -40mm (MAX) you can supposedly use standard shocks. But on an old Nova the shocks will be waaaaaay past it, trust me. My shocks were so limp then I could push them down all the way with one hand and they wouldnt return. In which case you can go for uprated shocks with good springs.

In all honestly get at least good qulity springs please as you will wish that you did if you go for cheap as chips items.

If you want very good handling go for quality springs with matched shocks.

The lower the car the firmer, the bumpier the ride but good items will somewhat compensate for that.

BTW try get ones designed for a Nova. Corsa B ones will still fit but the Corsa was slightly heavier IIRC and you may not get the intended drop or ride. Nova ones are for Nova's so theres gonna be more reassurance and less doubt in your mind imo.

MyNovaSr
22-11-08, 11:04 AM
Lowering springs with standard shocks is so uncomfortable, every bump feels like hitting a ditch (although with the state of the roads it possibly is).

Definetly try and invest in shocks & springs :thumb:

Have you driven a nova thats lowered more than 60mm with low pro tyres? :eek:

Bumpy as fook, dont see how you can say "comfortable" whoever you are :roll:

Jack
22-11-08, 11:29 AM
Bumpy as fook, dont see how you can say "comfortable" whoever you are :roll:
He didn't, he said uncomfortable... lol

PE4
22-11-08, 12:02 PM
Get new / better shocks mate. I used -60mm springs on standard shocks and it was not very comfortable, my car would try and throw me off the M4 at motorway speeds. The fronts were fine, but I may as well of binned the rear dampers!

I found a good set of second hand shocks and springs on ebay for £50 and they are a massive improvement, coupled with front and rear strut braces I am all smiles on the B roads :)