View Full Version : top gear challange

General Baxter
16-11-08, 09:02 PM
come on dar offer them your car lol

bet your car would be under budget and beat it :thumb:

Jack
16-11-08, 09:02 PM
LMFAO I was going to think it would be a Nova they had to mod :D

tbh with a £9.8k budget they could easily have made that closer to evo speed.

Stuart
16-11-08, 09:04 PM
Buying Nitrons didnt help in killing off the budget....Mind you being next to Plans Motorsport they would be sold TD's and Nitrons lol

John
16-11-08, 09:04 PM
yeah easily done imo!

CoolTiger
16-11-08, 09:05 PM
i liked the sound of it

General Baxter
16-11-08, 09:06 PM
atleast it proved one thing this time, a good service goes along way :)

chimp007_uk
16-11-08, 09:08 PM
my mate used to work for nitron... well built shock, but badily over priced...

Jack
16-11-08, 09:09 PM
LOL I quote my dad from about 3 seconds ago "see? Modifying cars doesn't make them faster than proper cars"

Hmm, tell that to the Civic Type R driver who didn't seem to like the fact a sheddy blue nova saloon could overtake him on the A303 this morning lol

edens-xe
16-11-08, 09:11 PM
LOL I quote my dad from about 3 seconds ago "see? Modifying cars doesn't make them faster than proper cars"

Hmm, tell that to the Civic Type R driver who didn't seem to like the fact a sheddy blue nova saloon could overtake him on the A303 this morning lollol

Sloth
16-11-08, 09:13 PM
winner/\

Stuart
that RR was utter ****.... would sooner trust my **** dyno lol.

Nitrons have their place, but on the road isnt one of them imho. They need servicing a little too often for my liking.

Given 9.8K to spend on that car, I'd have gone with the wheels and tyres, upgrade the brakes but not 3K's worth of 6pots lol, cams, inlet and some ecu fellting to make it work, and some GAZ suspension. Jobs a carrot

Lee
I was shouting at the telly lol

For nearly 10K i could have made that thing easily get near to the EVO's time. So long as it wasnt supposed to last too long :)

I was thinking TB's and a massive nitrous injection as well as their other mods. Could have done that easily if they didnt blow over 3k on fapping brakes and waste money on the wrong tyres and rims. lol

Loved stigs massive LOOS at the end though. Made me want to get back out on track again :(

Adam
16-11-08, 09:17 PM
atleast it proved one thing this time, a good service goes along way :)
Fpmsl, what a biggest load of bo****ks that was lol lol

All set up for tv.

They should have kept the std brakes(theres like 2corners on the track you need heavily brake for, so a massive upgrade wasn't worth it) and wheels/tyres, bought the suspension they did, and then sunk the rest into the engine. 200hp is nothing in a car weighing what that must do.
Could have easily got miles more power from the engine, on bodies or turbo'd or something, and then nitrous for the track straights.

Mike
16-11-08, 09:54 PM
Utter tosh IMO. A lot of it was due to there combined lack of knowledge TBH. Got laught yes, in reality, a threesome of motoring icon's massivly cocked it up. Poor show.

General Baxter
16-11-08, 09:55 PM
the smoothy was better lol

Lee
16-11-08, 09:55 PM
Utter tosh IMO. A lot of it was due to there combined lack of knowledge TBH. Got laught yes, in reality, a threesome of motoring icon's massivly cocked it up. Poor show.

It was a deliberate cock up. Clarkson is useless with mechanics, but May and Hammond know their spanners.

Scripted for entertainment rather than factual purposes. I LOLed a lot, so i guess they have succeeded lol

Mike
16-11-08, 09:56 PM
^ true yea, comedy value it was a winner. But Meh lol theyre sheet. Mike was not amused.

trackdaynova
16-11-08, 09:59 PM
they could have wiped more time off by stripping it out properly lol

as Queerboy said, all in the name of entertainment though :)

Lee
16-11-08, 10:06 PM
they could have wiped more time off by stripping it out properly lol

Agreed, but they had to keep it roughly the same as an evo ie seat 4 people lol

dhdev (Oli)
16-11-08, 10:06 PM
WEIGHT LOSS!!!! Plus a few more ponies. Agreed on the brakes being a waste of money!
Plus how long have I been harping on about splitters, that's just spurred me on to get my splitter and aero mods underway :thumb:

Matt
16-11-08, 10:07 PM
James May having some 'car control' lessons with Hakkinen was the best bit IMO. His face was halrious when May was let loose in his rally car! lol

mowgli
16-11-08, 10:07 PM
so, how come every improvement they stuck on the car made little or no improvement?????

better tyres & brakes would immediately make a car go a lot faster, so would servicing it to free up '35hp'
even that crap splitter should have made an improvement

I think the car was simply wrong for performance tuning...... its frontal area was huge, no matter how good the springs, dampers & brakes were, it was an imbalanced car.... I guess the stig just had no confidence in it

Mike
16-11-08, 10:09 PM
The big rims/tyres & stupidly over sized brakes would have wiped IMO around 8whp straight off anyway!

Adam
The tyres, probably got no heat into them before timing it.

And the brakes, theres not really enough tight bends where monster brakes are needed. Its not like a tight and twisty track....
Its a track where good power is needed

Jack
I'm not quite sure why they took an F1 driver and asked him to teach May to drive on a rally couse? Surely Gronholm or Makkinen would have been the obvious choice...

The big rims/tyres & stupidly over sized brakes would have wiped IMO around 8whp straight off anyway!
Tyres looked like lightweight TD or OZ wheels... I'd wager they were lighter than the standard steels

Mike
16-11-08, 10:10 PM
^ how much would they want paying to do so though Jack lol

Stuart
17-11-08, 09:47 AM
They were TD pro race 1.2 alloys. V light (got some on the gheymobile). But they were HUUUUUUUUGGGEEEE on the renault so a bad choice.

Philsutton
17-11-08, 10:41 AM
I wanted to see nitrous damn it, with some of that sprayed in with the rest of things done I dont think they would have been far off. PLus warming the tyres would have helped.

turbojolt
17-11-08, 11:59 AM
why were they worried about braking the gearbox with more power when they still didn't achieve standard power

Philsutton
17-11-08, 12:13 PM
because the car was french and it will break even if you look at it incorrectly.

turbojolt
17-11-08, 12:54 PM
because the car was french and it will break even if you look at it incorrectly.

lmfao

brainsnova
17-11-08, 01:33 PM
i was thinking redtop turbo when i first seen it and i would of took the complete interior out just leaving the bucket seats.

twistysnovagte
17-11-08, 02:04 PM
you can buy a crate engine for around 9.8k,pushing around 450 bhp as standard,then just let james may fit it,that would of been a closer bet than there antics:thumb: