PDA

View Full Version : thinking of getting a nova

stel338
16-11-08, 09:56 AM
hi im new to this site and i am thinking of getting a nova is there anything i should look out for apart from rust!

cheers

xe Dan
16-11-08, 09:59 AM
dont think about it just get one they r awsome cars and yeah rust is the one to look for and i always try and look for on thats not been tampered with to much as u then no what u got

AlexW
16-11-08, 10:05 AM
Engines are preety bullet proof but check for signs off head gasket blown, not hard to change but a pain the back side.

But apart from that the only thing is rust, check all the areas, arches, battery tray, front panel, rear panel, chassis etc

How much you looking to spend?

stel338
16-11-08, 10:09 AM
not really to bothered if its been messed with as it would be very hard to find one that hasnt been messed with.

cheers for the advice.

Rich
16-11-08, 10:12 AM
Best one you can get is one owned by an elderly person, thats completly standard! Otherwise you gotta think about finding filler and fibreglassed rust holes. Try getting one with a decent lenght of mot

stel338
16-11-08, 10:15 AM
yeh that sounds like a good idea but its not as easy as that unfortunatly.

looks like i might hav to get a chaved up one and do some seriouss de-chaving!

dj_wudgey
16-11-08, 12:59 PM
yea get one matey they are f*cking ace cars if you ask me!!! but then ive got 2 off them lol

stel338
16-11-08, 01:03 PM
thats greedy i want one!

ade
16-11-08, 01:06 PM
theyre easy to work on.
check the following -
check for rust/rot around rear 1/4 panels (theyve usually started to rust but some can be horriffic), inside the boot (edge and corners where floor joins sides), sills, inside bonnet around strut tops and passenger side where the main loom enters the cabin (back right corner). underneath check rear suspension tops where they meet the chassis and also along the side of the sills on the inside (where the chassis vin plate is stamped) - can rot there. Most rust/rot can be replaced with new/pattern panels if youre handy with a welder.

Engine wise theyre solid if not ragged but check for gunk under the oil cap (poss gasket issue) and water levels. Check for excessive smoke out the back and any weird juddering or misfiring (unusual noises).

Check theres no play in the steering

Try and go for non modded versions that way you know theyve not been bodily abused.

interior - usual drive bolter has rip apart from that should be okay.