PDA

View Full Version : IT/Computer equipment - recommendations on where to buy?

joff-turbo-nova
16-11-08, 09:13 AM
Hi all,

Need some recommendations on where to buy some IT equipment - I need to upgrade my pathetically slow AMD Athlon 800mhz machine but I only need to upgrade the chip, motherboard, RAM and graphics card , so I don't really need a whole machine!

Anyone got any recommendations???

Joff

Mike
16-11-08, 09:18 AM
www.novatech.co.uk (http://www.novatech.co.uk) :thumb:

Stuart
16-11-08, 09:29 AM
you are going to get a feck load of options lol

I got a decent barebones PC from novatech 18 months ago.. well worth it as you only then need to add in the HDD and CD/DVD drive of your choice (or existing ones).
Scan is good too, they often do deals on cpu,mobo,ram etc

Dar
16-11-08, 09:56 AM
Also
www.ebuyer.co.uk
www.overclockers.co.uk

ck
16-11-08, 10:05 AM
www.ebuyer.co.uk have some very very cheap stuff

Breeny
16-11-08, 10:06 AM
Have bought a fair amount of kit from these 2 over the years, both have good service etc :) www.overclockers.co.uk, www.scan.co.uk

Mazz
16-11-08, 10:37 AM
Try http://www.microdirect.co.uk/

Welsh Dan
16-11-08, 10:41 AM
You'll probably need a new power supply aswell Joff, aswell as a hard drive or optical drive. Your drives will all use the IDE type of connection, but new boards now only have 1 IDE port, because current drives all use SATA.

Mazz
16-11-08, 10:45 AM
tbh the only things you will be able to keep and use are the case and dvd-rom! So it might be worth looking at a complete tower..

Jack
16-11-08, 02:06 PM
Also try www.dabs.co.uk as they often have good stuff, although ebuyer tend to be cheaper.

And don't discount PC world, if you reserve online and collect in store, some of their prices can be quite competitive. I bought a new IDE hard drive from them a few months back, and it worked out the cheapest around (mainly as I didn't have to pay postage lol). www.play.com also sell the odd few computer bits, will free postage, but not looked at their prices for a while so dunno how cheap they are.