PDA

View Full Version : GTE engine - what to look for

Aragorn
12-11-02, 11:12 PM
ok im thinking of goin for a 1.6 8v engine rather that faffing about with this C14NZ

my local scapper has a F plate GTE sitting rotted to fuck but it appears the entire engine, gbox, fueling system and looms are all still on it as well as what looks like a performance exhaust system (or at the very least a performance back box)

im gonna pop down there this week and i wanna know if there is anything i should look for in this engine

i dont wanna buy a dud, so what should i look at/do to make sure the engine is in decent nick

thanks

Chris LR
12-11-02, 11:19 PM
I'd check

under the oil filler, white stuff = head gasket gone
obvious oil/water leaks
no missing parts ( remember it's in a scrappy )
Mileage ( although it doen't really matter )
smooth gear change, cluth pedal ( if possible )

Any signs it's been thrashed, the exhaust may be one. And if it's been crashed, I mean why is it sat in ascrappy?

jim sri
12-11-02, 11:23 PM
take plug spanner,get plugs out and check theyre not in bad nick(Pics in the back of haynes to compare to).
check its got oil in it,cleanish oil-not sludge brown etc
check water-is there any?is there oil in it(head gasket poss blown)
check breaker hasnt pressure washed it to cover up frost damage etc.
check cam/cam lobes if poss for excessive wear-dnt matter if you replacin this.
if you're gunna strip it down though itd make a good project!
dont know where it is etc but u could ask him to start it,if he gets funny about it even-be a bit suspicious.
some breakers are great,others are real scummers.

Aragorn
12-11-02, 11:35 PM
the body work is rotten - hence why its in the scrapyard

didnt think about the plugs - i'll check em

i'll try and get him to start it, he shouldnt be too iffy about it methinks

he seems to be wanting to keep it whole - i asked for the brake servo and he told me he wanted all the engine componenets kept together, so i hope thats a good sign

anyway keep the tips coming :P

CP
13-11-02, 06:39 PM
Well done Phat SR my son! You have learnt well and I can feel that the Force is with you, lol!

Thats exactly what I would have said! :lol:

Chris LR
13-11-02, 08:30 PM
I have yet to learn my master!

ade
14-11-02, 08:15 PM
your not my father!

sorry couldnt resist!

:o

:D

Chris LR
14-11-02, 08:26 PM
My time will come

Aragorn
17-11-02, 04:36 PM
ok i went there today and had a look at it

i couldnt start it cos some other waz has started to disconnect it all then gave up

i pulled a spark plug - the look brand new (NGK) and the bottom of it is slightly blackened with the |_ shaped bit slightly white

looked in oil filler but its different to my 1.2's - on the 1.2 i can see the cam where as on this there was a little slope leading down into the cam box and the rocker cover was about an inch high, the slope was a bit gungy looking anyways

the coil has been disconnected and i can only find 2 wires that could goto it - there is a frame with what im guessing is the ignition amp and the coil fits into this frame, the ignition amp was still connected and jsut above that there was 2 wires 1 black and 1 green with spade terminals - im guessing these are the coil leads

the injectors have all been disconnected from the loom as had the ECU, the ecu was in the boot (siemens), the airbox(airflow meter i think) has Bosch jetronic printed on it

the ECU seems to reside under the bonnet somewhere but i couldnt find where

also the engine loom seems to be attached to some wires that go inside the car and are bundled together with the wires that goto the lights etc so what do i do about this?

so what do u think from all of that? whats it worth? ?100? ?150?

thanks

mix n match
17-11-02, 05:18 PM
That price seems about right ........ I asked a scrappy round here about 1 of them engines and he said ?175+vat :o :o :? ....
Robbing cnut

novax
17-11-02, 09:02 PM
The ECU lives by the battery on a plastic frame 90321485. If you're thinking of transplanting it, do the head and gasket anyway, doesn't cost that much. Take the plugs out and turn the engine over with a spanner, if it feels good, that's a start.

Aragorn
18-11-02, 12:33 AM
i think the plastic frame was in the back next to the ecu - i just couldnt see anywhere for teh wires to go thru

also what do i do about the part of the loom that goes inside the car?

stan*
18-11-02, 01:45 PM
make sure u get all the loom. cut the wires a couple of inches back from the plug so u've got something to work to (making sure u keep the plug!). any other non-vauxhall coloured wires r prob for an immobiliser, just get rid of them making sure u join the appropriate ends up. dont worry about white sludge-it'll b cos there car has been sat 4 a while-not necessarily the head gasket. if u need any help on the wiring e-mail me: stanley@fsmail.net

Aragorn
18-11-02, 03:10 PM
ok i assume the plug your refering to is the one against the bulk head with a phat red and black and a few others thrown in right? it then gets wrapped into the bundle for the wiper motor and lights and goes inside the cabin thru a hole on the passenger side

there are a few other wires that have been snipped but i think these are for the lights

i should hear from the yard today about the price so if its not OTT then i think i will go for it and buy the lot :)