PDA

View Full Version : vbh nova: how it is now

Sloth
14-11-08, 12:55 AM
Courtenay Nova Sport XE http://www.bluemagician.demon.co.uk/images/nova/1046.jpg

ENGINE
Vauxhall 1998cc 16-valve XE
Swindon 250 spec Coscast Head
LET low noise block
Weber Alpha 45mm Throttle Bodies with Full Alpha+ management
Weber inlet manifold opened out 4.5mm to match throttle bodies and inlets on head
11:1 compression ratio
High compression race pistons with ceramic coated crowns, teflon skirts and oil repelent undersides
Courtenay VX 204 race cams
Correlo H-section race rods
Lightened/balanced crank
Uprated shells
High tensile bolts
Lightened/balanced flywheel
Alloy billet ‘anti-jump’ V-pulleys
Bailey Motorsport Alloy header tank and breather boxes
BTB 4-2-1 Competition exhaust manifold, 2.5" primaries, Ceramic coated inside & out
BTB polished stainless steel 2.5" Competition exhaust
Mocal Oil Cooler
Vauxhall Corsa turbo diesel radiator & 'Slimline' Fan

http://www.bluemagician.demon.co.uk/images/nova/1060.jpg

BODY
1986 Vauxhall Nova Sport Shell.
Harry Hockly 'Group N' chassis strengthening kit.
Full Courtenay Sport Roll Cage, inc Front/Rear/Fixed Cross/Door Bars, powder coated.
Vauxhall Nova GTE Wing Mirrors, front & rear bumpers, colour coded.
'Cool Louvres' Pressed Bonnet
Blue & Grey 'Chequer' effect vinyl design.

http://www.bluemagician.demon.co.uk/images/nova/1076.jpg

INTERIOR
Stripped interior.
Nova Sport dashboard.
Cobra Clubman Front Seats.
Sparco Harnesses.
Momo Sport Steering Wheel.
Weber Alpha Sequential shift light.

http://www.bluemagician.demon.co.uk/images/nova/1055.jpg

TRANSMISSION
Vauxhall F20 close ratio 5-speed Gearbox.
Quaife Automatic Torque Biasing differential.
Courtenay Sport Heavy Duty Drive Shafts & Hubs.
Helix Clutch.

SUSPENSION
Bilstein Nova Cup dampers.
Courtenay Sport 'Tarmac Specification' springs, (Lowered by approx. 35mm).
PowerFlex Polyurethane bushes throughout.
Alloy/Nylon Competition steering rack mounts.
Uprated Anti-Roll & Tie Bars.

BRAKES
Front:
Vauxhall Astra 16v ATE callipers.
Tarox 40 Groove 256mm ventilated discs.
Tarox Carbon pads.
Rear:
Standard Drums & Shoes.

WHEELS & TYRES
6" x 15" Raceline RL7 alloys (49mm offset).
195/50/15 Yokohama A539 tyres.

SECURITY
More than enough to keep Mr Insurance happy, plus a pitbull tucked in the glovebox. http://forums.hexus.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

PERFORMANCE
235 bhp (Flywheel) @ 7200 rpm
Power to weight, approx. 320 bhp/tonne

Santa Pod timings:
0 - 60 mph in 5.8 seconds
Standing 1/4 mile in 13.6 seconds @ 103 mph

vaughanmc
14-11-08, 07:46 AM
Those pics have been on the net for a good while - Is it still looking like that ?

burgo
14-11-08, 08:52 AM
well what a pointless thread

Benn
14-11-08, 10:12 AM
Even says 05 in the pics...

loggyboy
14-11-08, 12:10 PM
great

L33 LEG
14-11-08, 12:21 PM
so how is it now then? :wtf:

Pistol Pete
14-11-08, 12:28 PM
Who cares.....

And this was a topic not long ago IIRC.

hc coupe
14-11-08, 12:30 PM
. . . . and your point, think most people know of it ?

craig green
14-11-08, 02:34 PM
Yawn.

trackdaynova
14-11-08, 02:47 PM
Interesting, it lacks in quarter mile for the power it has.

Accident waiting to happen with 16v brake setup with 320bhp/tonne too lol

dan16v
14-11-08, 02:56 PM

Any nova on a 16v brake set up is an accident waiting to happen!lol

trackdaynova
14-11-08, 02:58 PM
lol

Benn
15-11-08, 09:56 AM
Doesnt Lee run 16v brakes?

Spudly
15-11-08, 11:04 AM
^^^^Lee doesnt need brakes lol

John
15-11-08, 01:04 PM
Yawn........ To be expected though.............

Dec16v
15-11-08, 01:07 PM
This has to be in the top 10 of the best Nova's ever built, along with Jon Shields previous Nova, A16 VTB.

Dec

S1 RST
15-11-08, 04:07 PM

utter rubbish, ran my 300bhp nova turbo with 256mm brakes, just need to fit decent pads and disc's, never suffered brake fade once even braking hard from 150mph

Sturge
15-11-08, 05:27 PM
Have to 2nd that, ran mine with tarox discs and ferodo fast road pads, never had a problem and I abuse my brakes! :D

S1 RST
17-11-08, 01:02 PM
Have to 2nd that, ran mine with tarox discs and ferodo fast road pads, never had a problem and I abuse my brakes! :D

same brake setup i had:thumb:

dan16v
17-11-08, 01:28 PM
utter rubbish, ran my 300bhp nova turbo with 256mm brakes, just need to fit decent pads and disc's, never suffered brake fade once even braking hard from 150mph

I tried a few disk pad combo's, worst ever was ebc green stuff pads!lol , had massive fade coming into a roundabout down from about 120mph (on my private estate), the 16v set up imo along with the v6 set up is ok on a standard 16v nova, but once you try a decent 4 pot set up you would never look back!
I find most people that defend the 16v set up are the people that have never forked out for a decent brake set up beforelol (not saying this is the case here before any one starts throwing abuse!)

The Simps
17-11-08, 01:36 PM
the 16v set up imo along with the v6 set up is ok on a standard 16v nova, but once you try a decent 4 pot set up you would never look back!

I have to agree totally with Daniel on this one for a change.
:thumb:

craig green
17-11-08, 01:40 PM
Courtenay typically only build fast road cars, so the TB's on that car were a bit of a oddity, likewise so would fitting 4 pots.

I always found 16v stuff to be OK so long as you dont ask too much of them, sadly I wasnt heroic enough to run a 300bhp LET or similar. But I have managed to fade them out countless times.

Dec16v
17-11-08, 02:18 PM
I must admit I would go for something more capable that 16v brakes on a hot Nova. I played with pads and brake fluid on my old Nova, but they were well gone following a couple of laps of Silverstone.

Dec

The Simps
17-11-08, 02:57 PM
I must admit I would go for something more capable that 16v brakes on a hot Nova. I played with pads and brake fluid on my old Nova, but they were well gone following a couple of laps of Silverstone.

Dec

I think thats the difference, on a fast road car you'd be ok but get them on track and they fade like crap. I used to run 16v stuff on a more or less std XE and got fed up of having to replace discs at the end of a trackday. In the end I bought some decent ferodo pads and cheap motor factor discs for £25 pair then swapped discs over during the lunch break. Then the Reyland 4 pot group buy came along.... :D

krobinson
17-11-08, 03:27 PM
I found my V6 setup held up well on the ring, never had any fade at all. I will eventually look into fitting some 4 pot's to the Nova, but i'll have to get some custom bells and brackets to prevent the caliper hitting the speedlines.

Sturge
17-11-08, 07:00 PM
I tried a few disk pad combo's, worst ever was ebc green stuff pads!lol , had massive fade coming into a roundabout down from about 120mph (on my private estate), the 16v set up imo along with the v6 set up is ok on a standard 16v nova, but once you try a decent 4 pot set up you would never look back!
I find most people that defend the 16v set up are the people that have never forked out for a decent brake set up beforelol (not saying this is the case here before any one starts throwing abuse!)

All depends what you're using them for really. As a fast road setup the 16v stuff with good quality discs and pads are perfectly adequate.
And EBC green stuff are most definately not good quality pads lol people who think they are are mearly victims of advertising

Obviously they aren't anywhere near a 4 pot setup, but then the price isn't anywhere near either. You get what you pay for with that sort of thing but then most people don't NEED 4 pots. I rarely do trackdays in my car so don't see the point. However I did have them on my P1 as that did need them. Horses for courses

dan16v
17-11-08, 08:44 PM
Personally i would not even use the 16v set up on a fast road car after using 4pots, as others have said, i tried a fair few combo's and had fade with all of them.
A decent 4 pot set up from willwood these days isnt very expensive@ £300ish! you could spend half that buying 16v brakes plus a good set of disks and pads, for the extra id rather have very good brakes for the road rather than adequete!
^^ just my opinion of course!lol