PDA

View Full Version : coil overs problems

xe Dan
13-11-08, 04:22 PM
rite i bought some of the fk coilovers the ones that r on offer in pv mag and fitted them to my run about 1.2 its runnin cav slabs with 195\45\15s and the tyre scrubs the spring and shock am i doin som thing wrong o and ive got them as low as they go;) any help apreciated:thumb:

Southie
13-11-08, 04:26 PM
rite i bought some of the fk coilovers the ones that r on offer in pv mag and fitted them to my run about 1.2 its runnin cav slabs with 195\45\15s and the tyre scrubs the spring and shock am i doin som thing wrong o and ive got them as low as they go;) any help apreciated:thumb:

Which ones are they?

Also raise them up lol, as the leaf spring at the bottom will be doing bugger all unless you take it off.
I had the blue and silver ones on mine and they were fine.

xe Dan
13-11-08, 04:32 PM
yellow shocks yellow springs with fixed rear. but i like the look of it and
surely if they say its 40 to 70 drop that should mean i can run a 70mm drop

Southie
13-11-08, 04:33 PM
yellow shocks yellow springs with fixed rear. but i like the look of it and
surely if they say its 40 to 70 drop that should mean i can run a 70mm drop

Obviously not when your having the problems thou :p

xe Dan
13-11-08, 04:36 PM
ok so up she comes i supose lol

ck
13-11-08, 11:22 PM
is the upper hole on the shocks elongated? if so you can adjust the camber (more positive camber) which will pull the top edge of the wheel out. generaly you need it this way when you want them wound to the bottom. normaly you get more negative camber the lower you go so you can do this to counteract.

but then if you cant do this or you dont have enough room still you can either run with a small (5mm) wheel spacer. or some people even remove the helper spring (i assume yours has them)

xe Dan
14-11-08, 08:52 AM
helper spring not sure wot that is and yeah already have ajusted the hole so the wheels further away and it scrubs so got 5mm spacers on at sec and it only missis by about 2mm so goin to put it up abit today

a2lt16v
14-11-08, 10:24 AM
i have koni coil overs and i found out that the wheels touched the lock rings as about 2 miles down the road after fitting them car felt wonky i thought i had a flat tire. but when i checked the tires had wound one side up and the other side right down

i fitted some 5mm spacers:thumb:

Adam
14-11-08, 10:26 AM
Or just fit shorter springs so it sits above the tyre

Stuart
14-11-08, 10:40 AM
helper spring not sure wot that is and yeah already have ajusted the hole so the wheels further away and it scrubs so got 5mm spacers on at sec and it only missis by about 2mm so goin to put it up abit today

Helper springs are small flat section springs that are of a very very soft rating to keep the main springs seated when jacking the car etc...

http://www.motorsportparts.co.uk/substrut1.jpg

see the small springs towards the top of the piccy... they be helper springs.

You can do away with them tbh (if they are fitted of course)

xe Dan
14-11-08, 04:12 PM
rite raised the car and the problem is still there it just rubs the shock now. the suspension has no helper spring. am i doin somthing wrong am i missin a bit or are these just crap and i dont really want to run spacers as i feel that i shouldnt need them i new i should have just stuck to a good old shocks an springs kit tell me what u think and im goin to phone lmf tomoz

Southie
14-11-08, 04:43 PM
Put some pics up of your shockers on the car, as we are working blind :tard:

mulletor
14-11-08, 05:41 PM
i have had this problem before. buy some shorter springs form a shop like merlin motorsport they are about 50 and can get any length or poundage you want.

xe Dan
15-11-08, 10:15 AM
rite even with a smaller spring im goin to rubbing the shock
and just spoke to a bloke at lmf and he said he has never heard of this problem so wot am i doin wrong any one local fancys coming to look im in clacton essex

chimp007_uk
15-11-08, 11:44 AM
I'm running Spax RSX coilovers on ym XE and I have to run 5mm spacers to clear the tyre to spring. I'm running cesaros with 195/45r15 tyres. You can run 10mm as it hits the edge of the arch.

Does it rub the same on both sides?

Adam
15-11-08, 12:10 PM
The tyre is rubbing the shock? Wtf, what size tyres/wheels do you have?
My 15s are miles away from the shock itself.

xe Dan
15-11-08, 04:10 PM
im running cav slabs 15s with 195 45 15s and it seems to rub worse on the drivers side got me standard nova gsi wheels on at sec just so its drivable ive run out of ideas really its got to be somthing ive done thats easy to miss as my mate whose a mecanic said they wont fit with them wheels as can not adjust camber as it will scrub wheel

Shaun_O'Donnell
15-11-08, 04:41 PM
I had this problem with my Avo coilovers, am using the same size of wheel and tyre as yourself and 3mm spacers solved the problem. Can only assume your coilovers have a large diameter spring to give you so much trouble.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/Shaun_ODonnell/STA60026-2.jpg

mayhem
15-11-08, 05:43 PM
i cant fit 8j et25 with my coilovers :(