PDA

View Full Version : bloody good driving skills

BIGS
13-11-08, 07:28 AM
http://video.kenblockracing.com/flash/small_player/preloader.swf?vendor_id=204&media_id=9183&bgcolor=FFFFFF&autoplay=0

matt_vaughan
13-11-08, 08:03 AM
Super fast autotesting lol

MK999
13-11-08, 12:08 PM
He's really big in the US, total nutjob, also did this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDi0MZJZ-w0

Shaun_O'Donnell
13-11-08, 12:22 PM
That is very impressive

FUSION X16XE
13-11-08, 01:38 PM
And i thought i was good at handbrake turns!

Mazz
13-11-08, 03:26 PM
That is bloody awesome! The drift at 3 mins and the donut in the hanger are superb!

~~joycey~~
13-11-08, 03:34 PM
Thats awsome! :thumb:

jimbob-mcgrew
13-11-08, 03:34 PM
its great to see people that are so good at something they can effortlessly abuse the rules like that.
i can do the old 180 reverse spin and carry on driving like u see in cheesy bond films, and the odd bit of powersliding, but that mans on a whole different level to anything ive seen before.. impressive stuff

Spudly
13-11-08, 03:42 PM
Wow thats damned impressive, do the laws of physics not apply to this guy then, some of the drifts and slides dont even seem possible...

Thats ace:thumb:

dj_wudgey
13-11-08, 03:56 PM
that kicks ass man!!!

Jack
13-11-08, 04:08 PM
Liking all the test marks on the ground lol

Good skills, although I've seen similar stuff in WRC races, which isn't so big in America so whenever the yanks see anyone driving like that they go mental lol

nova danny1
13-11-08, 07:18 PM
I can do better!!!!lol lol lol

Sturge
13-11-08, 08:04 PM
He drives for the Subaru Rally Team USa and also happens to own dc shoes lol

Has done some mega jumps and other stunts, you tube search will prove entertaining. As will one for his team mate, Travis Pastrana

I've done some work for them, absolute mentalists

loggyboy
13-11-08, 10:19 PM
Thats quite impressive, but ive seen better.

In the 1st few scenes he could have been closer to the bones and barriers by a good metre or so, and he caught be barrier when doing a simple power slide.

Its not as high speed, but i think the the control on these is more impressive

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KnZtqjjt45U

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=trIX_x783Yo

If anyone fancies doing 'similar' stuff to the subaru, try out an Autosolo (or an autotest if you fancy doing stuff closer to the above 2), they are not as high speed, or as open, but you get to learn the techniques and get to have a laugh. Most local motorclubs organise that sort of thing and membership and entry is next to nothing.

LEWI007
13-11-08, 10:45 PM
Hes drifting purely with the torque of the big bhp engine and the 4x4 drivetrain.

You are supposed to use the momentum of the car and ffs, use a rwd its harder !

This is real drifting

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=E0oD85EgZ9A&feature=related

Spudly
13-11-08, 11:23 PM
I love it how some people see some incredibly amazing drivers and or driving and instantly slate it just because theyve done a phatter slide y0 on gran tourismo, or their mates downloaded a vid off youtube of someone doing it bigger and faster.....

FFS, can you do any of that cos i know a fcuking cant, and its harder to drift a 4x4 not a rwd you plank!

Dec16v
14-11-08, 07:03 AM
Bloody awesome, I love the way he slides it around that hanger. Great skills.

Dec

LEWI007
14-11-08, 07:57 AM
I love it how some people see some incredibly amazing drivers and or driving and instantly slate it just because theyve done a phatter slide y0 on gran tourismo, or their mates downloaded a vid off youtube of someone doing it bigger and faster.....

FFS, can you do any of that cos i know a fcuking cant, and its harder to drift a 4x4 not a rwd you plank!

Your wrong, RWD can actually spin out with to much accelerating.

AWD the front wheels keep it steady and stuck to the road pulling it forwards, you will hardly ever spin out and with the amount of power he has all he propably has to do is approach the corner put his foot down and turn and there we go we have a super amazing drift guy :eek:

Spudly
14-11-08, 09:02 AM
Your wrong, RWD can actually spin out with to much accelerating.

Thats why drifting is such an art, its a balance between spinning out and staying on the edge!

Whereas to get a 4x4 to drift is fcuking hard as while youre trying to get the ass end out the fronts are pulling away from you to stop it, other than on your xbox or ps2 how many rwd cars have you personally driven and how many 4x4s then?

And you didnt answer my question, can you do any of that behind the wheel of a real car??

LEWI007
14-11-08, 10:13 AM
4x4 isnt harder ffs

and yes i can do it, anyone can do it it just takes practice :thumb:

I believe anyone can do anything they want you just have to stick to it.

MK999
14-11-08, 11:50 AM
4x4 isnt harder ffs

That's an eloquently put no then lol

Spudly
14-11-08, 12:41 PM
4x4 isnt harder ffs

You obviously have better skills than the laws of physics have then in which case furry muff but im not overly convinced!

dan16v
14-11-08, 01:12 PM
You obviously have better skills than the laws of physics have then in which case furry muff but im not overly convinced!

That vid is not actualy Ken Block, it's K reg nova, showing how easy it is to drift a 4x4lol

Shaun_O'Donnell
14-11-08, 01:15 PM
I have owned both rear wheel drive and 4 wheel drive cars and fully agree with SRspudly. The rear wheel drive would step out with the slightest of ease, but even after trying, both the 4x4 cars I've owned would either stay on course in the dry or understeer in the wet. 4x4 drifts need higher speed to break the traction from the driven wheels at the front. Because rear wheel drive cars are tail happy at lower speeds, the driver reactions to correct and hold a drift are somewhat less than that required to do the same in a 4x4 bearing in mind the higher speed required to counteract the pull from the front.

Spudly
14-11-08, 03:06 PM
I have owned both rear wheel drive and 4 wheel drive cars and fully agree with SRspudly. The rear wheel drive would step out with the slightest of ease, but even after trying, both the 4x4 cars I've owned would either stay on course in the dry or understeer in the wet. 4x4 drifts need higher speed to break the traction from the driven wheels at the front. Because rear wheel drive cars are tail happy at lower speeds, the driver reactions to correct and hold a drift are somewhat less than that required to do the same in a 4x4 bearing in mind the higher speed required to counteract the pull from the front.

I was thinking i was being exceptionally stupid there as ive driven two Nissan 200SX`s and played in them (briefly) and my mates old BMW 535i and all of those spat the ass end out very happily whereas the M-reg WRX impreza ive tried in simply wont do it, and there is a local knob always trying it in a town center carpark on a weekend in an L-reg impreza turbo and funnily enough he cant do it either.

That vid is not actualy Ken Block, it's K reg nova, showing how easy it is to drift a 4x4lol

Afpmsl lol

Sloth
14-11-08, 03:25 PM
ha ha i know who your on bout spud. having worked on supras and lexuses (lexii) i can assure you that its easier to drift those than a celica gt4, or a rav 4 lol. i sugest you look up the issue on how it works dot com! can you imagine a rwd scooby? god there would be chavs in hedges everywhere!

Jack
14-11-08, 03:48 PM
lmfao @ lexii lol

The rear end slides out on my GT4 quite easily tbh (although it is on recycled condom tyres), some times unintentionally... lol. It does understeer first though, but if you over correct it the rear comes round. Never managed it in the dry yet, but in the wet its not so hard to achieve.

Never driven RWD though so can't comment on how easy that is in comparison.

Sloth
14-11-08, 03:59 PM
thats the correct pronunciation jack. as taught by lexus. gt4's do go but its like an escy cos, front goes then grips then the back goes. what model is ya gt4 btw?

Jack
14-11-08, 07:07 PM
ST205.

I just thought "lexii" was something Alan Partridge made up... but it does make sense in that form lol

R1CH
14-11-08, 07:20 PM
Pretty cool like, met him at work the other month when he was over to compete in the Colin McRea stages rally, was expecting him to be some loud mouth in your face yank but he was actully alrite, just came across as an everyday bloke really !!
lol

Spudly
14-11-08, 07:25 PM
Pretty cool like, met him at work the other month when he was over to compete in the Colin McRea stages rally, was expecting him to be some loud mouth in your face yank but he was actully alrite, just came across as an everyday bloke really !!
lol

I think thats ace when someone like that is really down to earth and will stop and talk to you.

When i was at the rallycross event a couple of months ago at Blyton, we saw "Mad" Mark Watts win the 2008 championship and when we went to the pits he happily stood for about 30-50 mins just talking crap to us about cars, his car the race stuff we had all done before in cars, general pub chatter really but he was real happy to be stood talking to us!

Sturge
14-11-08, 07:31 PM
lol

Whereabouts do you work Rich?

4wd easier to drift than rwd? ummm NO! And yes that is talking from experience

R1CH
14-11-08, 07:39 PM
Whereabouts do you work Rich?

4wd easier to drift than rwd? ummm NO! And yes that is talking from experience

M-Sport (Ford Rally Team)

Didn't say a great deal to him to be honest, but still enough to see how he comes across to folk (if you know what i mean).
Never seen him (talking) on TV or anything really, but just thought with him being an extreme sports type of guy he'd be really loud !!

dj_wudgey
14-11-08, 07:59 PM
M-Sport (Ford Rally Team)

Didn't say a great deal to him to be honest, but still enough to see how he comes across to folk (if you know what i mean).
Never seen him (talking) on TV or anything really, but just thought with him being an extreme sports type of guy he'd be really loud !!

you work for m-sport you lucky b*stard id love to work in rallying or motorsport even though im not allowed to use air tools or anything like that no moore lol

your one lucky dude even though you probrably worked your balls off to get there!!!

Sturge
14-11-08, 08:29 PM
Nice one. They were meant to be coming down to ours too but didn't have time :(

Travis Pastrana's pretty sound too, got some interesting stories between them lol

What you doing at Dovenby then? I'm glad you've got us on the new fiesta now, was getting fed up of the old ones lol

R1CH
15-11-08, 01:28 AM
I work in Engine sub-assembly, mainly rebuilding Turbos, also do Wastegates, EGR's, Boost solenoids, Water / Fuel injectors & regulators ... get to do a little bit on the cars (engine related) now and again.
Who you work for ? what do you do ?

Sloth
15-11-08, 08:39 AM
rj, glad ya bought a 205. you had any probs yet? i.e superstrut bushes, fueltank rust, clutch, headgasket, bottom end bearings?
lexii is the grammatically correct spelling, like yarii avensii etc

Sturge
15-11-08, 11:49 AM
nice easy bench work then lol

I'm at Custom Cages, developing and fitting cages, shell prep etc

R1CH
15-11-08, 01:07 PM
Oh aye, nice clean workshop / under floor heating, easy life !!!
Doing rally GB at the start of December, don't think its gonna be nice and warm then tho !!
Custom cages, Cool, so it you guys who prep all the Fiesta shells then, always wondered who did them. They've got a new Fiesta shell in the main workshop that they've been on with for the last month or so, you guys gonna be doing those as well ?

(sorry for hi-jacking the thread !!)

John
15-11-08, 01:21 PM
That is mighty impressive!

General Baxter
15-11-08, 01:32 PM
iv had my patrol doing that so ner, i must be god lol

Sturge
15-11-08, 01:54 PM
Oh aye, nice clean workshop / under floor heating, easy life !!!
Doing rally GB at the start of December, don't think its gonna be nice and warm then tho !!
Custom cages, Cool, so it you guys who prep all the Fiesta shells then, always wondered who did them. They've got a new Fiesta shell in the main workshop that they've been on with for the last month or so, you guys gonna be doing those as well ?

(sorry for hi-jacking the thread !!)

Yeah we got one off you last week to do the R2 shell

Can imagine Wales being a lot colder and wetter than the workshop lol Wonder if I could convince the boss to get under floor heating, sounds very luxurious!
Mate of mine works at your place doing the customer cars' tyres. Seems like a decent crowd to work for!

(sorry too lol )