PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a nova sunroof

leggattr
12-11-08, 08:51 PM
Has anyone tryed this? iv been looking at a nova sunroof for sale but dont no if this will be a tricky job i.e cutting a hole in the roof!
any advice or just dont bother with it.

mowgli
12-11-08, 09:34 PM
if it is a slide & tilt factory job, then it is tons of work... just trying to get the hole lined up will be murder, let alone the mounts & strengthening. then there are the drainage pipes that need running thru the body & out at the bottom

if it is an aftermarket one, then it will be easier

Sturge
12-11-08, 10:08 PM
change the roofskin, far easier

Nova_Tek
13-11-08, 01:25 PM
My Nova AFAIK has an aftermarket sunroof from 'Solarsport' I thinks, many moons ago. The previous owner had it fitted. Its a damn good job they have done, only a tilt sunrooof via an adjustable grab handle. If you fit one of those then its just cut skin and lining and fitting.

The GM ones tilt slide will be a nightmare. Taking one out of a car is difficult enough.

ade
13-11-08, 02:06 PM
as mowgli said the tilt slide is a biatch - the standard pop up (and remove) is simpler you just need to make sure you cut the hole the right size - and line it up of course.

leggattr
13-11-08, 05:10 PM
It is the basic pop up one iv found. so its just cut and drop in. il have a find about that then. cheers for the help guys.

ade
13-11-08, 05:38 PM
make sure you get the underside - theres a metal ring with a rubber seal - remove the sdeal then undo all the screws. when fitting make sure you seal it properly (obviously)

Ade

brainsnova
13-11-08, 05:58 PM
id stay without a sunroof unless it was a factory fit one. less chance of leaks in years to come.

ade
13-11-08, 08:10 PM
nah - wont leak if you seal it properly - use proper automotive mastic and not silicone sealer - bond from the inside and slightly around the lip of the hole so it bond well - ensure screwed up nice n tight - sorted...

Nova_Tek
14-11-08, 12:36 PM
id stay without a sunroof unless it was a factory fit one. less chance of leaks in years to come.

Have had my sunroof fitted since the early 90's (after market non-factory) and its been brill, as long as its done properly.

Go for it mate. Its a nice touch. I feel wierd driving a car without a sunroof, so used to it. Cockpit feels much darker. lol

~~joycey~~
14-11-08, 12:43 PM
Shud'nt be too hard? Belive it or not my black SR had a 205 Gti sunroof! wtf? lol

meritlover
14-11-08, 01:28 PM
its not a straight forward job fitting an OE sunroof. its not just a hole, its pressed to give a 90deg flange/edge you'd be far easier to remove a roof panel (or cut it off at the pillars) from a donor car and weld it onto yours. then swap the headlining. you would have more chance of getting in straight.

i really dont think it justifies the extra work and expense (and also at the risk of making it look a hell of a lot worse or leaking)

Mike
14-11-08, 09:22 PM
^ and the risk of potentially writing off your car if you b@lls it up lol