PDA

View Full Version : classic car show, e-mail

General Baxter
12-11-08, 08:40 PM
Why spend £30k on something modern, which is exactly the same as the one that lives around the corner, when you can buy something special for far less outlay? Classics are also more affordable to run and maintain - and we're not just talking about pre 1973 cars which are exempt from road tax. They are far simpler and owners can maintain and repair them themselves; saving money on expensive main-dealer labour rates and buying parts which are far more affordable.

is it just me or is that a lie lol

mowgli
12-11-08, 08:42 PM
a well maintained classic uses just the same amount of fuel as its modern counterpart.....
Practical Classics ran an article setting out the pros & cons..

if you use as an example a triumph 2500pi estate against a mondeo 2.0 estate.
the interior room is more with the triumph
the performance is pretty much the same
the fuel economy is pretty much the same
contrary to popular spin, the triumph puts out the same co2, because the co2 is directly related to fuel economy...
the triumph costs about £25 for a basic service.
the ford costs about £100 for a basic service & some lad called Darren needs to plug a computer into it.......

OK, the triumph will not do so well in a crash cos it has no computer designed crumple zones & airbags

Spudly
12-11-08, 11:04 PM
Older cars FTW then methinks lol

Sloth
12-11-08, 11:15 PM
why do you think i have the cav? insurance at 22 with 9 points, and a revokation, 157 fully comp, 200 excess, car valued at 1500. old cars ftw!

Spudly
12-11-08, 11:17 PM
Jammy sod thats about three times less than im paying on my mk3 cav lol

Welsh Dan
12-11-08, 11:44 PM
a well maintained classic uses just the same amount of fuel as its modern counterpart.....
Practical Classics ran an article setting out the pros & cons..

if you use as an example a triumph 2500pi estate against a mondeo 2.0 estate.
the interior room is more with the triumph
the performance is pretty much the same
the fuel economy is pretty much the same
contrary to popular spin, the triumph puts out the same co2, because the co2 is directly related to fuel economy...
the triumph costs about £25 for a basic service.
the ford costs about £100 for a basic service & some lad called Darren needs to plug a computer into it.......

OK, the triumph will not do so well in a crash cos it has no computer designed crumple zones & airbags

I'll agree with you there, to a point. It all depends on the condition of the classic really, if said 2500PI is in near showroom condition then you are indeed correct...

...but the reason I got rid of the nova was the £200 welding/ bills 2 or 3 times a year. Servicing the nova every 3000 miles cost me £20-40, and servicing my tdci mondeo will cost me £50-70 every 6500 miles if I decide to to it myself, so the servicing costs work out around the same. The exception to that is that I know I'll need to replace the dual-mass flywheel in around 100,000 miles time when it reaches 150K, and that it'll cost me around £500, but that could be 8-10 years from now.

I can't find fuel economy figures for the 2500PI, but according to www.t2000register.org.uk it weighs around 1270KG compared to the mondeo's 1590KG (the mondeo weighs 25% more), has 132bhp compared to 128bhp of a 2.0tdci mk3 mondeo, and has 153lb/ft of torque compared to the mondeo's 243lb/ft (about 1.6x more), so the mondeo should actually be quicker.

Ernie
13-11-08, 09:10 AM
I just get a brand new lease car every year through work.
Cheap as to maintain (cost's nothing to me)