PDA

View Full Version : Could it be all over?

loggyboy
11-11-08, 12:15 PM
Seems like theres gonna be a new generation of cheap hot hatches ready to take on trackdays etc.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=100342

Will we find cars like that start to make the typical 'cheap' track toys Nova/205/e30s etc etc suddenly seem quite expensive?!

Stuart
11-11-08, 12:31 PM
"locosts" have NEVER been cheap anyway lol

Breeny
11-11-08, 12:54 PM
It's not a locost though... ;)

Yes I think you'll see less and less older cars doing track days, as they get stacked and rot away, they're bound to go down in numbers. You'll still have the dedicated few though...

Stuart
11-11-08, 01:24 PM
It's not a locost though... ;)

I know :p I did look at the linky.
But its funny them being pikey motorsport people yet running fapping expensive cars in reality lol

loggyboy
11-11-08, 01:34 PM
For the ability of the kit/locosts, they are quite cheap. the only thing that spoils the party is the S1 elise which are coming in under 6-7k now, but still on track, they are still better than the elise. the elise just makes more sence as a day to day car.
If they did a kit build elise id be well up for that! But i want to do a Kit for 'made it myself' factor.

Stuart
11-11-08, 01:38 PM
yeah S1's are getting to the "budget" trackdayer level now which is cool :) if you dont mind having a Cat D/C then you can grab VX's for £6K or less in many cases now too.

Would love to build a kit car, but I'd sell it immediately as I have no desire to drop practicality any further than I have already lmao.

Wonder if the newer Suzuki Swifts will make for a good cheap track day toy?

loggyboy
11-11-08, 04:11 PM
The missus Festa ST feels great to drive, still relatively expensiove at mo. It also probably feels good because im used to either a ratty Nova or a hefty Lexus.

Theyly be good when peeps start dropping tuned st170 lumps in to them

Stuart
11-11-08, 06:14 PM
pah sod putting the St170 lump in... just get the Mountune 185 kit fitted to maintain the warranty and have a right hoot of a car :D

I'd love a Fiesta ST as a track/weekend toy (cant stand the noise/crapness at motorway cruise speeds), but its not a forgiving "life" car

matt_vaughan
11-11-08, 06:57 PM
My pop's built a Locost. Build the chassis and everything, pikey cheap git lol

However they tend to spiral really as you start wanting more grunt and the like.

His is on GAZ coilovers, Ford CVH on Twin 40s, Quafe LSD, Cammed etc etc. Probably stands him at around 4000-4500. However, with the need for more grunt an XE has been bought, for £170 off ebay......(bit lucky with that)

But then he bought some R1 carbs, another 100 billies. Then theres an inlet to get.

The amount you can spend can well out-do just buying something like an Elise.

He does say though, that the "made everything myself" and "knowing exactly what to do with it" is much better and more satisfying than buying a ready made track machine.

Im sure some guy on here who built track machines can vouch for the same thing.

Mike
11-11-08, 07:58 PM
Wonder if the newer Suzuki Swifts will make for a good cheap track day toy?

They make fantastic rally cars :D

Dar
11-11-08, 08:04 PM
They make fantastic rally cars :D
So do Nissan Micras :cool:

draper
11-11-08, 08:06 PM
there was an asweome micra at longcross last time i went, a 1300 making silly power and very quick

Dar
11-11-08, 08:29 PM
There was a great white micra at Keevil this year that was RWD and has some sort of mental asylum escapee behind the wheel. Very impressive, I really liked the way he used a fast subaru as breaks in to the hairpin we were marshalling at.

Complete loon!:cuckoo:

Mike
11-11-08, 08:31 PM
You ever saw the Primera BTCC engined Micra Rally X car Dar?

Dar
11-11-08, 08:41 PM
No :( Not been to a rallyX event.

That new little Fiat Abarth also looks like it could be turned in to a trick little track weapon. However old little cars like the Nova will (hopefully) always be quick due to the fact that they are so lite to start with.

I have often thought about turning the 6 in to a track car (that was the origonal plan before the Nova came along) but it would need to be something special to beat the Nova. Looking at a pure power to weight ratio. The 6 would have to have 260 bhp to equal the Novas current power to weight ratio even after the same ammount of track prep.

Mike
11-11-08, 08:42 PM
The new Fiat 500 Turbo is a right weapon!

joff-turbo-nova
12-11-08, 07:20 PM
I was tempted recently by a mate who has a cat C Peugot 306 GTi (the one with the 6 speed box) for a track day car.

However I was a bit put off by the following :-

1. Knowing bugger all about 306's
2. Not having the space to store one
3. Not having access to a trailer as I wouldn't be taxing or MOT'ing it

Would have made a good project - hey ho!

Joff

Dan
13-11-08, 07:29 AM
I was tempted recently by a mate who has a cat C Peugot 306 GTi (the one with the 6 speed box) for a track day car.

Would have made a good project - hey ho!

Joff

"goes to get shotgun" lol lol lol

loggyboy
13-11-08, 08:56 AM
Theres a chap who used to use a 306 GiT at the autosolos I go to. It was always quite competeitive for a standard car. With some tweeks to the suspension and some sticky tyres i reakon it would have made very good car.