PDA

View Full Version : Donington Park Trackday Report: 09-11-08

trackdaynova
10-11-08, 11:08 PM
"guess whose back.... back again...." (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nxpTx0VDBKw)

Slightly different setup to the usual, we usually all convoy to a trackday together but this time nothing was organised and people just come and went as and when they wanted to.

Up and out by 06:45, to get to Donington Park for 07:30am, and bagged myself pit number 25, got in there nice and early, turned the lights up, got the tools out, camping chairs, and the like.

Meanwhile nova ian & his mate Coxy turned up in their free Renault 21 Turbo that they trailered to the track to have a bit of fun with, and they dropped it off at the scrapyard on the way back home.

Signed on as driver, Shell as passenger and had drivers briefing whilst Steve (LiquidPug) turned up and also stuck his name down for a bit of passenger lovin'.

Did the usual, and siting laps started at 9am, to which I went out on as it'd been since May since I was last at Donny :eek: Was uber uber greasy from all the rain on the Saturday night, so I stayed on the Rainsports that I drove to the track on.

It was open pit, so we could go out and come in as often or as little as we liked, although it was rather busy again like it was at Cadwell, and due to the rain there were plenty of red-lights, so people were getting greedy, so once out on track, they'd stay out for ages and not come in - which could cause queues in the pit lane.

Anyhoo, my first outing was with Steve as passenger, on the Rainsports, dry line was appearing pretty rapidly due to the sun being out, and alot of cars being on the track, so we were proper shifting considering on crappy tyres (for a dry track). The lap before I was going to tell Steve we were heading into a cool down lap, heading down Starkies at top of fourth gear, pushing 110mph or so, and BANG... clatter... clatter... bang... clatter... with a constant gdgdgdgdbdgddn as the wheels rotated... A.R.S.E, nearside CV joint decided to explode again, yup, the brand new one Me & James (The Count) fitted at Cadwell two weeks prior... so we drove 1wd into the pits, and we knew what we needed to do...

In the pits, whipped the NSF wheel off, trying to change a CV joint whilst everything was red red hot wasn't fun lol, well, it was fun, but it bladdy hurt at the same time... so we got the spare out, and fitted that... knowing that that was the last I had on me, I didn't have anymore spares...

Ian suggested it'd be a good idea to raise the car just to reduce the angle of the passenger shaft, only if it was for the day, as we had no spares - so we did, 10mins later with an uber cool 'Snap On' gun, we were 20mm higher allround.

Second outing with a slightly raised height was with Daz, and it'd started raining again, so obviously stayed on my Rainsports, did around 12 laps altogether before coming in, nothing to report on this session, apart from on my second drive by of the pit lane, all the guys watching me had realised that I had lost my rear window :eek: lol , unbeknown to us in the car, we hadn't a clue. We did however get rather fed up of the flashing yellow light just after the Old Hairpin in the middle of the track, meant you couldn't overtake as there was an obstacle, and we were getting PO'd the fact it was there... only when we came in from the pits, did we realise that we'd lost my rear screen somwhere, and that 'obstacle' was my rear window rubber lol

Once in the pits - lunch time broke where over the tannoy came "kkkchhh errrm if you have lost a rear windscreen, it is at the end of the pit lane where it can be collected, along with the rubber kkkccchhh" to which we all laughed, and I didn't want to go and collect it and own up to the fact it'd fell out, I'd sooner drive without one lol

chris_gsi & Jen went and collected it for me lol and whilst I was aiding to putting my CV boot back on (as it'd come off on the second outing) the other peeps were putting my rear window back in the rubber, and back in the car lol once it was in, they decided it'd be a good idea to put some 10bhp 6" bright orange gaffer tape on it, to be sure it wouldn't fall out again...

trackdaynova: "ffs, i can't even deny it was me, the first time around now!" lol
chris_gsi: "yeah you can, just say you wanted to be sure the same didnt happen to you" lol

So I went out with Michelle sporting my new bright orange car bra (yes, my bonnet was bladdy flexing again), orange visor on my helmet, and orange rear screen surround, and this was the outing where I was pulling my fastest laps of the day, as it was slowly drying up - but I was on my damn Rainsports, so after the session, I came in, put my 888s on, got back in the queue... and it started raining! lol grrr

So I did my first ever solo-outing in my car, with 888s, and it was pishing it down, good and proper, the Craner curves were like a river! lol Had much much much fun, moreso than with a passenger in the car for some reason, I suppose it was because I could push even harder, as if I did get it wrong, its only me in the car. I managed my best manouvre ever, I got it sideways at the top of Craner curves, slid sideways all the way down facing 90 degrees left, managed to feed the steering back in, slam it into second, and roll into the Old Hairpin corner, quite gracefully, which is when my Facet pump was being noisey, and I knew I had to refuel.

Came in from the uber wet session, wanting to go back out again, but there was a red light from an RX7 being in the gravel pit, and the red lights stayed on for around 45mins... by which time it was 3pm, and over the tannoy they said if the rain doesn't stop, they'd have to cut the day short due to safety, as the Craner Curves started to have major running water down it.

So we packed up, and drove home. Excellent day all in, and for those that don't read my WIP, I'd like to say another thank you to:

Count Vaux Alot & Danni
nova ian & Kat
chris_gsi & Jen
Liquid Pug & m17tty
andy bishop & mrs andy bishop
karl rowntree & mrs karl rowntree

trackdaynova
10-11-08, 11:08 PM
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q161/neocapture/nc1198.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q161/neocapture/nc1197.jpg

So a session consisting of 7 laps including a warm up, and cool down looked like this on the data logger / gps, consistant lines throughout
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q161/neocapture/nc1199.jpg

Here are the main 5 fast'ish laps, you can see the throughout the corners & the speed
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q161/neocapture/nc1200.jpg

My fastest lap of yesterday, 88secs as you can see on the X axis, and the Speed in MPH on the Y axis, shows that my top speed down Starkies is 114.5mph, which isn't particulary fast, in the dry we touch 128mph ish but I was obviously braking much much sooner for Goddards, than I usually would.
Interesting stuff, none the less :)
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q161/neocapture/nc1201.jpg

Adam
10-11-08, 11:21 PM
As always, cracking report.
Even just reading it makes it seem like you were there :D

Spudly
10-11-08, 11:23 PM
Spot on report, extremely well written out:thumb:

I must get my ass into gear to come spectate sometime it sounds like ace fun!

dhdev (Oli)
10-11-08, 11:39 PM
Nice write up Olz, still loving the rear window incident lol:)

trackdaynova
11-11-08, 12:53 AM
Videos have now been uploaded, I've upped the quality to 1.4kbps and viewable @ 760px, also with my new wide angle lens, you can see more of the cockpit, steering, shiftlights etc

Passenger: Steve Clay... CV explosion again
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=z99M4GwngFc (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=z99M4GwngFc)

Passenger: Michelle Hewitt... fastest laps
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=d0ioBHkR06s (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=d0ioBHkR06s)

Passenger: None... Solo run... longest slide down Craners... EVAR lol
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8oVsa1s6RjQ (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8oVsa1s6RjQ)

Riggy
11-11-08, 10:00 AM
excellent as always olz, bit miffed about the cv again but hmmm..

Cle
11-11-08, 10:17 AM
I love your track reports :)

Ernie
11-11-08, 11:35 AM
Dar would be proud of your slide mate.
You failed as there was no ar5e at the end tho lol.
Good track report.

dhdev (Oli)
11-11-08, 11:52 AM
Loving the vids Olz! You should enter into D1, the drift angle you got through craner curves was mighty impressive :eek:
Video number two does make me want a Radical though. He matched you on the warm up lap, then absolutely fooked off on lap two, and you're lapping relatively fast in the first place!!!

trackdaynova
11-11-08, 12:42 PM
lol @ not having "ar.se" at the end of my slide ala Dar, the reason I didn't say it - is because I didn't end up in the gravel lol

Oli - totally hear what you're saying lol I thought I was doing dead good keeping up with the Radical... until he did his first warm up lap anyhow! doh! lol

I'm being a bit of a tightwad at the moment, as the software to add my onboard telemetry overlay my video, so I would have speedo, brake/accel bar, g ball, and green dot on the map going around costs $195, and the exchange rate USD-GBP is pants at the moment! lol

YouTube, have sent me an email to say they've activated "Watch this video in High Quality" which is good as it doesn't happen for all of them I don't think!

Thanks for the comments :)

dhdev (Oli)
11-11-08, 01:16 PM
I watched in high quality and I never realised you had a shift light before PMSL!

let_nova
11-11-08, 01:18 PM
ace driving :thumb: loving the drift and minimal correction!!

draper
11-11-08, 01:40 PM
good vids matey

and im gonna poke nova ian in the arm with a stick for scrapping a renault turbo lol

trackdaynova
11-11-08, 01:47 PM
I watched in high quality and I never realised you had a shift light before PMSL!Yeah man I have four of the bastids lol

High Quality viewing certainly makes it enjoyable, rather a PITA! lol

nova ian
11-11-08, 02:30 PM
good vids matey

and im gonna poke nova ian in the arm with a stick for scrapping a renault turbo lol

Good write up Ols, was a brilliant day despite the weather :thumb: and other than the few minor issues the old nova went seriously well impressing alot of people in the paddock.

Draper: Just to set the record straight the renault had nothing to do with me! it was a joint effort of a couple of my mates coxy and ste:thumb: I was merely giving them a hand with it!

and also the good news is it wasnt scrapped! someone at Donny saw the potential and bought it off them the next day! lol

draper
11-11-08, 03:00 PM
fair enough then, i shall withheld from poking you and instead treat you to a cup of tea and a cake next time your in the area

NovaGuy1400SRi
11-11-08, 03:41 PM
Looking great as always Olly :thumb:

lol @ "is the window still in" on the second vid!

BRoadGhost
11-11-08, 06:15 PM
Finding the turn in a world away from before Olly?

Feeling the 2nd vid @ 3:38 using zero / counter from apex onwards - you must have been looking at the target object not realising entry speed? 'All' you need to do now hold the car at that adhesion limit for every corner.

In the wet and you're pottering around [trying to learn characteristics] it makes the limits deceptive. Part throttle will never grant the rear grip learnt in dry conditions simply because you aren't transferring the weight by the same quantity.

Nice to see another finally having proper steering in the old cereal box, although you still shuffle more than cross which I found a little unexpected.

dhdev (Oli)
11-11-08, 06:52 PM
Feeling the 2nd vid @ 3:38 using zero / counter from apex onwards - you must have been looking at the target object not realising entry speed? 'All' you need to do now hold the car at that adhesion limit for every corner.

Always keen to learn a new bit of track-craft, but unsure as to what you're refering to here? I've watched it back a few times and it's only at the very exit of the corner that opposite is applied, with positive steering up until then :confused:

Adam
11-11-08, 06:56 PM
Great vids, that cv certainly gave out without warning on the 1st vid, well held too, luckily it didnt put the car on the grass or anything.
lol @ "we know what we gotta do" lol

The car does seem to handle even better now than it ever did before, seems so grippy/stable through the corners. :)

trackdaynova
11-11-08, 07:01 PM
I'm with Oli on not understanding what Simon is referring to on the 3:38 on the second session, I presume you mean at the bottom of the Craners? As Oli said, it was straight in until major power was laid on and the back end came around on me, hence the opp-lock.

The turn in is no different now, to what it has been these past few trackdays, as nothing has changed up front in regards to castor for a few months now.

Cheers Ad, I left the "you know what we gotta do" in on purpose, as it's kinda routine now lol lol lol

Thanks for all the comments, still itching to get out on a dry day, so I can really see what my penultimate lap would be, to get this without traffic, I'd have to book on a sessioned day, I'm starting to hate open pit days more and more

dhdev (Oli)
11-11-08, 07:04 PM
Oh and second what Ad said about the CV, Well held! I was watching and at first I was like WTF just happened :eek: then I heard the clicking lol!

Adam
11-11-08, 07:19 PM
Jesus christ, you're a brave man out on 888s in that rain. Standing water everywhere lol

trackdaynova
11-11-08, 07:25 PM
I wouldn't have been pushing so hard had I of had a passenger, it was simply because I was out on my own that I was really going some! :)

If I crash and die, thats one thing - but I'd never push 100% with a passenger in the car, wouldn't want to take someones husband/ son/ dad with me. Suppose it's just a natural feeling.

Saying that, I still push pretty damn hard with a passenger in with me.

BRoadGhost
11-11-08, 07:28 PM
Zero counter is essentially a four wheel drift. Not sure how you can view the video again and not see it on the apex or remember doing it IRL.

Alright so it was only for a brief moment but I thought you might have liked the praise understanding it's something at the highest level of technique.

Not sure why you'd say nothing's changed for a few months when it was less than a month ago you reported these improvements..?

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85108&page=216

trackdaynova
11-11-08, 07:36 PM
Simon - sorry you misunderstood me, when you were referring to the major advanced turn-in I have, I meant I don't think it's improved any more than it had at Cadwell, simply because of the shocking weather Donington, so it was really hard for it to feel sharp due to lack of traction and how wet it was.

I would really have liked at least a dry morning so I could get on the 888s :( next time though!

Regarding the zero counter, I didn't feel that it happened on just that corner on that lap, that was how it was throughout the day, so when you pointed out a certain point in a certain video, it threw me off the scent, thats all :thumb:

trackdaynova
11-11-08, 07:40 PM
Still find the kwik-rack takes a bit of getting used to at Donny, didn't have a problem at Cadwell, nor elsewhere... but at Donington, I seem to turn in thinking that I only have to turn once, then I realise sometimes that it's too sharp, and its breaking traction, so i ease off, which unsettles the car.

It's most apparent Goddards Chicane, when following the Radical, I turn in early, realise its too early, so i straighten up, and then turn in again.

Annoying now, looking back, but as we all know whilst out on track, it's so easy to get in the zone, following/ tracking down the car infront!

Dar
11-11-08, 07:57 PM
Nice slide:thumb:

Paul
11-11-08, 08:04 PM
nice vids and write up!

BRoadGhost
11-11-08, 08:09 PM
Gotta disagree here; don't think I've misunderstood anything in this thread so far.

It might be that you've not realised the actual effect of the TCA modifications directly on the steering made less than a month ago as not only castor would alter this factor.

The only zero counter I saw in any of the three videos was the above mentioned when you were chasing the Radical.

stevei
11-11-08, 09:09 PM
loving the slide oli. looked uber wet btw. :thumb: excellent report as always.

What size is your steering wheel?

ste

Count Vaux Alot
11-11-08, 09:49 PM
Spot on as usual with the report mate and the vids are gooooood, loved the day despite the weather and i can't wait to come have some fun with you :roll: on the track of course! lol

You have well and truly got me hooked! :D :D

Mike
11-11-08, 10:08 PM
Nice drift, bet that was a bronwn stain moment eh what lol

chris gsi
11-11-08, 10:43 PM
good to catch up mate and been looking forward to the vids just off to watch them now

trackdaynova
11-11-08, 10:49 PM
no brown stains at all, was very sedate, i'd managed to leave the pack long behind so i knew i was alone, so it was rather fun :thumb: had my facet pump not making a racket, i'd have carried on!

trackdaynova
12-11-08, 06:59 PM
Chris next time you need to be more the point and just jump in the passenger seat :thumb: same goes for Jen :)

nathan.
12-11-08, 07:04 PM
Good write up Olly as usual. Sounded like a good day!

Martingsi
12-11-08, 07:10 PM
i would love to see that slide from outside the car aswel, bet it looked wicked :) lol

trackdaynova
12-11-08, 08:22 PM
Wooot, finally found some footage of my car from inside another car

I enter the video at 9m 44s from inside this Golf GTi 8v
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CxGD1lDVOGc

Can't quite work out what he says tho, sounds like "e-monster" lol

Our videos overlap, he appears in my Solo vid @ 5m39s too

trackdaynova
12-11-08, 08:25 PM
and again here at 0m 06s lol :D

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bAa6DzSfkb8

trackdaynova
12-11-08, 08:34 PM
hatrick... they have a full conversation about me and my rear windscreen being missing lol doh! lol they figured out it was polycarb by it not being smashed lol

3m 08s
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic3lXjZLwfk

Benn
12-11-08, 08:52 PM
hahaha thats great! Love the lack of window. +1 rep for being a leg!

trackdaynova
12-11-08, 08:56 PM
i find their videos amusing the fact they have a full blown convo with each other whilst on a trackday, very entertaining to listen to! :)

oh yeah, regarding their convo about overtaking on a yellow light... the lights are to warn you about a hazard AHEAD of the lights, not before.

the corner after my rear window rubber was on the track, there were no lights, so i broke no rules :p lol

BRoadGhost
12-11-08, 09:14 PM
It's amusing because you drive with a purpose concentrating as you should getting the most from it - those two in the golf are out on a Sunday drive so no wonder they chat like they're already down the pub.

Shame on you E Monster for having your fog light on!

trackdaynova
12-11-08, 09:17 PM
it's called a rainlight ;) and it was raining :)

BRoadGhost
12-11-08, 09:21 PM
Sounds like excess weight to me :)

trackdaynova
12-11-08, 09:26 PM
correct, 28.7grams lol

BRoadGhost
12-11-08, 09:28 PM
Are you going to bond or rivet the rear screen in now?

trackdaynova
12-11-08, 09:29 PM
gonna be replacing my rear three again, and riveting them in, losing the rubbers completely :thumb:

John
12-11-08, 09:31 PM
Good vids olly! You car sounds fecking awesome!
(sometime i wish i had a track car!)

trackdaynova
12-11-08, 09:32 PM
Cheers John :thumb:

You're always welcome to come along and hop in :)

Adam
12-11-08, 09:32 PM
Sounds proper :cool:
When you pass that golf.

BRoadGhost
12-11-08, 09:33 PM
Yeah might be for the best - btw you can get corrosion resistant rivets now if you take the time to look.

trackdaynova
12-11-08, 09:35 PM
corrosion resistant eh..... hmmm sounds heavy lol

could just silicone them in tbh lol

BRoadGhost
12-11-08, 09:46 PM
Now you're talking forget the rivets and tigerseal the lot!

Count Vaux Alot
12-11-08, 09:59 PM
It's amusing because you drive with a purpose concentrating as you should getting the most from it - those two in the golf are out on a Sunday drive so no wonder they chat like they're already down the pub.

Shame on you E Monster for having your fog light on!

So true! lol lol lol

trackdaynova
12-11-08, 10:10 PM
lol

Nova.Stockhatch
13-11-08, 07:13 PM
I was at this trackday too in a stock-hatch nova. Your 2.0l looked quick from the pit wall and from that chaps footage in his golf.

I see I passed him on this video http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ylNICrWRh2Q&feature=channel at about 4:35.

trackdaynova
13-11-08, 07:32 PM
Yours must have been the bright yellow beautie that was there? Sounded lovely :) :thumb:

Did you have any incar footage from the day?

Nova.Stockhatch
13-11-08, 07:45 PM
Yours must have been the bright yellow beautie that was there? Sounded lovely :) :thumb:

Did you have any incar footage from the day?

yes the yellow one is me :) , its actually my spare race car that a mate has been racing all year. Me and my bro was just having a blast about in it to mark the end of the season.

No incar im afraid

There was a grey saxo road car there too that was being driven by a fellow stockhatch racer - I was surprised how fast the little novas/saxo were compared to some proper expensive gear!

P.s - your window seal.... I was convinced it was a fanbelt sat in the middle of the track when i saw it!

trackdaynova
13-11-08, 07:53 PM
so I was lol i too thought it was a fan belt lol

craig green
18-11-08, 05:35 PM
Nice write up Olz, you always seem to have some drama to mark each trackday apart from the others.

trackdaynova
18-11-08, 05:46 PM
totally annoying tho, I want one where it goes:

"went donington, had a ball, vids" lol

smcgsi16v
18-11-08, 06:10 PM
You want to get rid of the Nova and get a Corsa then. :p

trackdaynova
18-11-08, 06:12 PM
if i got a Corsa, i'd just transfer all the bits over, which'll leave me with the same problems lol

anyhooo, a trackday isnt a trackday without breaking something!

smcgsi16v
18-11-08, 06:16 PM
if i got a Corsa, i'd just transfer all the bits over, which'll leave me with the same problems lol

anyhooo, a trackday isnt a trackday without breaking something!

So true, even i've had problems with mine.

Maybe gettiing away from Vauxhalls altogether might be better.

Adam
18-11-08, 06:17 PM
totally annoying tho, I want one where it goes:

"went donington, had a ball, vids" lol
To do that youd have to have a mega boring trackday, where you didnt loose a window, break a cv joint etc etc lol
Eventful days FTW :thumb:

trackdaynova
18-11-08, 06:42 PM
lol @ losing a window, you've just reminded me that I have gotta sort that ready for the 14th eh lol

Sealant or Rivets... hmmmm sealant would be easier, as I'd need a new rear window cutting to rivet as it'd need to be bigger to overlap the fibreglass edge

Benn
18-11-08, 06:47 PM
Bond it in dude.

trackdaynova
18-11-08, 06:48 PM
http://www.topnews.in/light/files/James-Bond.jpg

Fridge
18-11-08, 06:54 PM
[quote=trackdaynovaMeanwhile nova ian & his mate Coxy turned up in their free Renault 21 Turbo that they trailered to the track to have a bit of fun with, and they dropped it off at the scrapyard on the way back home.
[/quote]

Damn, i wanted a gearbox from one of them.