PDA

View Full Version : Painting Nova Doors?

vaughanmc
10-11-08, 05:05 PM
Wasn't quite sure where to put this really, move it if needed :)

I need to get 2 doors painted for my Nova

Anyone know how much it would roughly cost me ?

Cheers, Vaughan

AlexW
10-11-08, 05:08 PM
Tough to say, depends what prep is needed and if the finsh is good.

Andy
10-11-08, 05:16 PM
Why not try ringing bodyshops in your local area? That has got to be the easiest option.

vaughanmc
10-11-08, 05:46 PM
Aye my dad went to one and they said £70+Vat per door

Wasn't quite sure if that was good or not though

Going to get my dad to pop into a local place during the week - I can't manage to places like that with being at school :(

ade
10-11-08, 08:01 PM
I'd think most body shops will want to spray the whole side of the car to ensure a perfect finish - otherwise (especially with red cars) the difference will be blatantly obvious due to fade when the door is fitted.

About £170 odd all in - not too bad I suppose - you get wat you pay for - but it depends on the shop/area/how busy they are etc...

get several quotes.

With your car recently getting touched up it might be worth spending a little money finishing it off and getting a full respray so everything matched 100%.

vaughanmc
10-11-08, 08:36 PM
I'd like a full respray and it might be on the cards - Would you be up for fitting a new rear panel lol ?

Stuart
10-11-08, 09:54 PM
Roller it :D

ade
10-11-08, 10:00 PM
Roller it :D

Oh GOD don't start that again!

Fitting a new panel? mmm - I'd say no simply because if I balls it up your car'll be shagged!

lol

Dont mind destroying my own cars...someone elses though...

vaughanmc
11-11-08, 07:37 AM
Is a rear panel not an easy job ?

Riggy
11-11-08, 10:53 AM
most paint shops round this way charge about £80 per panel ,

but as said it will stand out very badly if you dont atleast blow into the wing and quarter , idealy should have the full sides done , id save for the full respray would be so much better in the long run

Matt
11-11-08, 11:13 AM
I wanted both the doors painted on my other Nova as they were a slightly duller white than the rest of the car. The guy said he'd have to paint both sides to get the best finish.

He painted both sides and smoothed off the indicators, rolled all 4 arches, smoothed the rear window wiper off and sprayed the bootlid and then touched up the bonnet all for £250, which I thought was a good price. Did a spot on job too.

Probably would of been about £150 just to spray the sides.

C14se
11-11-08, 02:33 PM
well i got a door and sill and wing painted and it cost me £200 but its a well good job

vaughanmc
11-11-08, 04:02 PM
The both front wings have been recently done along with the 2 back 1/4 panels

So fresh red paint on the doors wouldn't look too bad - Least the new doors would be on etc

Then I can save for a respray when the driving lessons etc are over :)

sport
11-11-08, 09:21 PM
Unless your using paint from the same tin chances are it wont match as red is a pain due to pigments in the paint.

ade
11-11-08, 09:56 PM
Agreed as above - all the shop will do is key the rear 1/4 and give it one coat anyway just to freshen it up.

As for rear 1/4 - its not so much the rear 1/4 as all the rust underneath where the inner arch is gone - you need to rebuild it or do as Lee H does and cut it away - making it flat and welding the inner arch directly to the outer one leaving just a single skin arch section. Then all you have to do is replace the bottom 2-3" of the outer skin. If it rusts again you just cut it off and reweld in a new bit but the inner lip section is untouched. maked rolling the arhc easier too - no change of breaking the spot welds as therre arent any!

Its not something I'd attempt in a weekend - simply because you always find more rust hidden behind the sound deadening which in itself takes feckin ages to shift!

lol

For Christmas Vaughan are mostly wanting a mig welder!

Best thing I ever bought (one of them anyway)

lol

greg1.4
11-11-08, 09:57 PM
learn to drive/get through your test with the doors as they are..they are more than acceptable mate.

then when you have a bit of cash get your new doors on and re-spray the whole car..

makes more sense imo..

DW-Nova
11-11-08, 10:08 PM
if i were yourself i would put the doors on the car how they are then get the job done propeley once you have the car on the road, i.e painted all over. Are the doors a different colour at the moment ? if so you could diy paint the inners yourself and put them on the car, therfore saving yourself a bit of money.

vaughanmc
13-11-08, 06:14 PM
The passenger one is white but the drivers one is a darker red

CoolTiger
13-11-08, 06:35 PM
60-70ish£ per door ;) cheaper if you get 2 painted same time

brainsnova
13-11-08, 06:40 PM
i used to get doors painted for free by my mate and £30 a panel anyone else at a body shop but the bosses went :gay: and now i cant nowt done .

vaughanmc
13-11-08, 07:49 PM
Aye about £60-£80 a door would be ideal like, would have the 2 done at the same time

Saves time in the long run :)

Probably be done after x-mas