PDA

View Full Version : SR Overheating

Mushy
09-11-08, 05:12 PM
My 1400sr keeps burning water like anything, steam comes out the back bigtime and it idles lumpy like as if its on 3.

Head gasket and radiator has just been changed with right torque bolts and settings.

I put some K-Seal in the header tank to try and fix a dodgy leak,crack,gasket or block in the line but hasnt made a difference.

Anyone able to give their opinion or help, Much appreciated !

Mushy

iety2004
09-11-08, 05:15 PM
Why was the gasket and radiator changed originally?

dyl rhino
09-11-08, 06:09 PM
was the head skimmed when gasket was changed fella?

mowgli
09-11-08, 07:12 PM
where exactly is the steam coming out from????

Sturge
09-11-08, 07:19 PM
Were the bolt holes cleaned properly before the head bolts were fitted? Any water or oil would give completely wrong torque settings. Could result in a bolt that's not actually tight or even crack the block

iety2004
09-11-08, 07:46 PM
^^^^^

Thats a good point, i always blow mine out with a air line and then apply a small dab of oil on the new bolts

The head and the block both need to be a clean as you can get em.

Also if you properly blew a head gasket i'd get the head pressure tested and all

chrisy1.6sr
09-11-08, 09:56 PM
sounds like a possible craked head did u get it skimed and presure tested when it was off

craig green
10-11-08, 01:58 PM
Not good news IMO.

ednovasr2
10-11-08, 07:29 PM
hum only ever had a piston go on my last five nova's a two of them were raced and rallyed to death! Must of been a doddgy head!

Mushy
10-11-08, 09:59 PM
Steam gush`s out of the exhaust. Yes the head was polished and bolts were greased before used.

Changed head gasket as i changed the head, last 1 a lifter snapped so this is a completly new head.

Might take the thermostat off next, try it in cold and boiling water to see if its working, that could be the reason for the heaters only staying warm but then not to get my tank pressurized and idling lumpy.

Only need it to last until after xmas as im having GTE power, still need this for daily use of work tho

mowgli
10-11-08, 10:07 PM
the gasket has failed if the coolant is getting into the exhaust

Copers
10-11-08, 10:09 PM
I'd say head gasket or head

Mushy
10-11-08, 10:10 PM
Must of been a dodgy head gasket then... Thats all i can think of at the moment. Pain in the ass

Copers
10-11-08, 10:16 PM
if you redo it bud, your best off getting the head pressure tested while your at it and maybe skimmed

ednovasr2
11-11-08, 06:37 PM
did you bleed all the air out of the system (leave running with tha tank cap off for 30min or so?

mowgli
11-11-08, 08:51 PM
did you bleed all the air out of the system (leave running with tha tank cap off for 30min or so?

wrong, an sr has a dead easy bleed screw. you make sure the heater is on hot & simply undo the temperature sender on the manifold. pour coolant in the expansion bottle & the air will bubble out the temp sender hole. it takes seconds.

ps. change the thermostat as insurance when the head is off