PDA

View Full Version : Car keeps on draining battery over night

CoolTiger
09-11-08, 03:29 PM
right i bought a brand new battery for my car 3 weeks ago for about a week it was ok i didn't start it for 4days i went to start it flat, i thought it was abit strange but didn't think twice about it got the jump leads on started up fine, left it running while moving it about on the drive as you do lol, must of been 15 mins turned it off started stright back up so good left it about 6 hours started again problem sloved i thought next day flat, disconnected sub amp thinking it oculd be that did the same started blah blah next day flat again ?? anybody have a idea what it could be ?

draper
09-11-08, 03:30 PM
is the interior light staying on ? stereo ? alarm of some sort ?

Jack
09-11-08, 03:42 PM
I'd say alarm or stereo or bad earth somewhere.

CoolTiger
09-11-08, 04:30 PM
ive took the face off the headunit which turns it off, and ive got a immobiliser which has a flashing led but it doubt that would drain it, i thought altanator(sp) but it wouldnt put charge in at all would it ?

Stoo
09-11-08, 04:45 PM
a battery requires around 13miles of driving to recharge after cranking

sounds like the batterys dead or the alt is funked

CoolTiger
09-11-08, 06:00 PM
its a brand new battery tho 3weeks and 120miles old might put it on charge proper

jimbob-mcgrew
09-11-08, 06:09 PM
u got the amp wired in right ? it needs to be on a switched ingition live or it'l be on permanently. there fairly power thirsty and will rinse the battery overnight like u say.

AlexW
09-11-08, 06:18 PM
Get a volt meter across the batt while the car is off, then do the same when its running. Tell us your results.

CoolTiger
09-11-08, 09:18 PM
u got the amp wired in right ? it needs to be on a switched ingition live or it'l be on permanently. there fairly power thirsty and will rinse the battery overnight like u say.

yeh amp and cd player get turned on by ignition

alex will do it tomorrow

draper
10-11-08, 12:37 AM
take the +ve terminal off the battery and check for a reading between the battery post and clamp, if there is then you will have a drain

jimbob-mcgrew
10-11-08, 01:19 AM
hmm.. weird, doesnt sound like alternator probs if it was ok for a whole week after you bought it, might be a bad earth on the charging / starter circuit ? check all the contacts from the alternator and starter to battery and main earth straps.

i thought it could be something silly like the boot light switch is broken making the boot light stay on and drain the battery, but when in constant use like that the bulb normally blows after a few days.

you got an alarm installed ? or any custom switches/wiring for added electrics ?

OPEL PARTS GREECE
10-11-08, 06:48 AM
Altenator is ok to the voltage output?
The battery was filled with liquid at the time you bought it or it was already filled.....that is for a battery ''works'' from the tima that the battery fluid is on....and for that maybe it was not a ''fresh one''

turbo-boy
12-11-08, 06:36 PM
take of your -negative wire of the battery and touch it the the -negative post of the battery if it sparks then you no something is drawing current make sure ignition is off.i hav had this problem before and had to change the alternator.

kc_08
12-11-08, 06:44 PM
i had this problem, at first it was an interior light, so i took that out, and turned out it was my face off, with it off, it was still getting power to it, and draining it, but like people have said if its not that, hav'nt got a clue mate lol,
i wired a switch into my cd player live wire, and i just flick a switch then turn the head unit on

CoolTiger
15-11-08, 09:07 PM
take of your -negative wire of the battery and touch it the the -negative post of the battery if it sparks then you no something is drawing current make sure ignition is off.i hav had this problem before and had to change the alternator.

try this first seems the easyest lol i have a alternator off my old nova gonna shove it on and hope for the best lol

CoolTiger
18-11-08, 05:50 PM
right will check thisweekend on the above