PDA

View Full Version : Alternator on an XE

Jack
09-11-08, 02:49 PM
Ok, this may sound like a daft question, but I'm crap with mechanical stuff so I thought I'd best ask before attempting - and breaking - it lol

Replacing the alternator on an Astra GTE 20XE (in a nova of course), whats the process? I'm assuming the alt comes in and out from below?

Is there anything else worth checking that could stop my battery from charging before I have a go at the alt? All earths appear to be good, anything else that could be kyboshing it

kevo16v
09-11-08, 03:22 PM
I replaced mine recently, comes in/out from underneath. Was a bit of a tight squeeze but eventually with alot of wiggling and swearing it came out. If it wasn't for the lack of space it would be a 10 min job.

Hope this helps :thumb:

Adam
09-11-08, 03:27 PM
Driveshaft off job on some IIRC!!! If not its a mega tight squeeze

Does the batt actually hold charge? Is the dash batt light working?

Jack
09-11-08, 03:35 PM
Dash battery light doesn't come on, but tbh that's probably my shonky wiring on the dash lol

We checked it earlier - 12.4 volts with engine off, 12.2 when engine running (idle and revved) then dropped to about 12.1 with engine off.

Adam
09-11-08, 03:47 PM
Theres your problem then.
Check the dash bulb actually works, and check the blue/white wire to the alternator. Also, the earth strap between alt and inlet

Lee
09-11-08, 04:02 PM
BAAHAHAHA. Remeber the ballache it was getting the original in? :)

You'll defiantely need to have the driveshaft out if it is the alt. CHeck the wires first though, as ad said.

mulletor
12-11-08, 06:11 PM
if the bulb doesnt work the alternator will have to self induce . it will normally do this with a big rev.then check your voltages again. look for approw 13.8 -14.3v

Dar
12-11-08, 06:30 PM
Check the bulb in the dash and make sure it hasn't blown. If it has replace it and then recheck.